nice buckhorn bass

smally21

i dont take alot of fish pics because i know what a fish looks like - but this guy deserved a few. i've caught hundreds of smallies on the buckhorn lakes but the average seems a little small, rarely over 3lbs - then this guy showed up! released after a few of his good side - should of taken him in to bayview for a weigh-in, turns out its almost a pound and a half bigger than last years buckhorn big fish winner. oh well we'll meet again...

047.jpg

the crowd went wild!!!

050.jpg

just over 22" and a little over 6 lbs. wouldn't get much attention on erie or simcoe but i was really happy to catch this on lower buckhorn.

wasn't really serious about the fishin at the time - you know, no matching t-shirts or anything. just a stroke of luck i'd taken the kids out for a ride and stopped by one of my favorite spots....

HA! Cutie patootie!

Nice fish sir. I have fished buckhorn alot and weighed in some pretty good smallies in T's over the years but no 6lber, actually, don't think I have got a 5 smallie on buckhorn yet. Maybe this emerald ilse. What type water did it come from?

EHG got a nice Tri-lake smallie too a while ago he posted here.

Beauty Buckhorn Brownie Bud.

Edited by Harrison

it was an open water fish over a large submerged flat rock surrounded by (like all things buckhorn) weeds. all fish came from 12-20 ft that week. nothing over 2.5lbs all week except for that guy. i find that the small panfish are everywhere but the smallies are on the edges of the rare rockpiles. got to find them!

fishing was slower than normal there were 2 significant storms that week - water temps were lower that normal for late august and the water was dirtier than i've ever seen it.....

Great lookin smallie for any lake!Looks like it has started the fall feed early.

it was an open water fish over a large submerged flat rock surrounded by (like all things buckhorn) weeds. all fish came from 12-20 ft that week. nothing over 2.5lbs all week except for that guy. i find that the small panfish are everywhere but the smallies are on the edges of the rare rockpiles. got to find them!

fishing was slower than normal there were 2 significant storms that week - water temps were lower that normal for late august and the water was dirtier than i've ever seen it.....