McRae Point - Fishing Report

Homer Is King

We sent the first 2 weeks of August camping at McRae Point Provincial Park on Lake Simcoe. The park itself is average. It's clean with big sites but very little privacy were we were. However, it is on Simcoe and the fishing was great. Over the 2 weeks we had family and friends come and stay. It was a great time and truly memorable.

Here are some of the fishing stats for the 2 weeks:

- Everyone in my family beat there PB in perch, all 6, including the wife!

- My son beat the families PB smallmouth. He landed a monster 18 incher

- I caught my PB brown bullhead

- Over the 2 weeks I took 15 different kids fishing in my boat

- I helped 4 kids catch there first fish

Some photo highlights:

Here are my fishing partners! We had some great adventures on the water these last two weeks.

P8160099.jpg

Here's me returning from a typical fishing trip in "The Bomber" (12' springbok). We call it "The Bomber" because there seams to be a lot dropped when we're out in it!

DSC_4315-1.jpg

Here's my eldest daughter help the wife with here new PB perch. The kids had a blast in our canoe "The Mighty Bobber". It pulled in a lot of fish!

P7060049.jpg

Here are some of the other perch we landed. Most were caught on 1/8 and 1/16 oz jigs with palmered marabou feather in white and chartreuse, tipped with a worm.

Perch-900-Hannah-SimcoeMcRae.jpg

Perch-1000-Eric-SimcoeMcRae.jpg

Perch-875-Taylor-SimcoeMcRae.jpg

Perch-675-Cara-SimcoeMcRae.jpg

Perch-1125-Chris-SimcoeMcRae-Pic2.jpg

Perch-1100-Julie-SimcoeMcRae-L.jpg

What's a Simcoe report without some smallies! I didn't get much time to target them, I stayed with the perch action for the kids. I caught one while drop shotting a white strickzone slammer. The rest came on small jigs while targeting perch.

Here's my boys monster smallie. 18.25 inches. I didn't weigh him but it was a solid fish. It barely fit in my 4" fish measuring tube. It was easily 12" in girth. Out fished by my kids again!!! He rubbed that fact in all week.

SMBass-1825-Eric-SimcoeMcRae.jpg

SMBass-1825-Eric-SimcoeMcRae-L.jpg

Here's my daughters small mouth. It's her first and a solid PB at 14.5"! It's also her biggest fish ever!

SMBass-1450-Taylor-SimcoeMcRae-Pic2.jpg

Here are a couple of mine.

SMBass-1425-Chris-SimcoeMcRae-Pic2.jpg

SMBass-1525-Chris-SimcoeMcRae.jpg

My new PB brown bullhead. Caught this guy with a large silver spinner in 20 FOW when targeting smallies in the evening.

Brownbullhead-1400-Chris-SimcoeMcRae-L.jpg

Out of the 100s of fish we caught over the 2 weeks we kept about 30 for a couple of fish frys.

P7060020.jpg

Hand sized perch fillets!!

P7060021.jpg

Fresh Perch coated with Salt & Vinegar chips and fried in butter!!! It doesn't get any better then that!

DSC_4985.jpg

It was a great trip and I look forward to returning next year.

Edited by Homer Is King

Thanks everyone! It was probably our best family fishing trip yet. A great time and great fishing! The smallies had the kids (and me) glowing for hours after! There's nothing better than a fish like that to get them hooked. My plan is coming together nicely! I'm already planning next year!