nf boat tax

archer379

So come home yesterday to find a letter in the mail from the Ontario minister of finace saying that there records indicate that i bought a boat and wangt to know if i paid tax on it. Its not saying that i didn't pay tax witch i did pay. they want to know were i paid the tax, how much tax i paid, and how much i paid for the boat. How come they know that i bought a boat but don't know if i paid the tax. The best part is i cant find the bill of sale for the boat i know how much i paid for the package but not the price for the motor, trailer, and boat seperatly. been to the bank to see if when i registared the trailer if i paid with debit card no luck must have used cash. Anyone know if i went to the NO service ontario if they keep the records of all transactions. oOh and i have had the boat for 2 years

I received the same letter as well.

What burns me is when it was registered at service canada, they took copies of the invoice. So why the letter now? Taxes have been payed on the trailer at the mto office.

The boat was free( ididnt want it to begin with). I had the boat with me for their viewing pleasure anyway, my last statement to them was, Do you want it? If so take it, its for freebiggrin.gif I was serious.

She chuckled for a bit. Then back to business.

So, the way I see it is, the government accepted the fact in hand and didnt ask for a dime. Acceptance, acknowledgement on their part, have a nice day ottawa.

Guess what, 0 times 7 or 8% equals 0.

Enough is enough, they keep digging deeper and deeper into our pockets for what?

On top of that, I received a letter asking to confirm that I have insurance on a newly purchased vehicle and as well as one that I sold recentlyblink.gifOK, ask my insurance agent for it, Im on billable hrs right nowwhistling.gif

Emotionicons only have 4 fingers for a reason. mad.gif

How about this one.I buy a boat in the US,payed 13% on the full value of boat,motor,trailer so no tax outstanding right? wrong!! I go too register the trailer and am told I owe 8% provincal tax (clerk says I should not have paid trailer pst at the border) Ok so she makes a phone call to head office to process my plate as I had no title for it and proceeds to tell me I owe 8% on the whole package as that how the province insures they get the tax now by hitting you when you get trailer plate? I say not happening,here is my receipt and you are MTO not Revenue office,this has NOTHING to do with my boat,engine.Amazingly she agreed and instead of paying like $270 she just charged me 8% on my trailer (would not issue plate otherwise).Now I have to chase revenue canada for $80 that I have paid twice.

Edited by hirk

How about this one.I buy a boat in the US,payed 13% on the full value of boat,motor,trailer so no tax outstanding right? wrong!! I go too register the trailer and am told I owe 8% provincal tax (clerk says I should not have paid trailer pst at the border) Ok so she makes a phone call to head office to process my plate as I had no title for it and proceeds to tell me I owe 8% on the whole package as that how the province insures they get the tax now by hitting you when you get trailer plate? I say not happening,here is my receipt and you are MTO not Revenue office,this has NOTHING to do with my boat,engine.Amazingly she agreed and instead of paying like $270 she just charged me 8% on my trailer (would not issue plate otherwise).Now I have to chase revenue canada for $80 that I have paid twice.

That is why, when importing, one needs to have seperate bills of sale for all three components.

the thing is i paid tax on the trailer and boat when i went into to register the trailer and get plates i know this because i had to argue with them because they wanted to tax me on the out board motor. Motors have no registration so i had the bill to say i paid X number for each pice the most beening the motor

I bought a boat 2 years ago in July 2009 and got a letter 2 weeks ago saying I need to pay the tax on the boat. I found my receipt photocopied it and send the 8% tax via personal cheque to the government. Weird that it was so late. When you register the boat, that is when they should make you pay the tax just like with the trailer. It is a messed up system!

I bought a new boat, motor & trailer in '99 and payed cash for everything in full including all taxes.

Couple years later I got a letter from the government asking for proof I payed the taxes so I sent a copy of the bill of sale.

Couple years later I get another letter asking for proof of taxes being payed so once again I sent a copy of the bill of sale.

Sure enough, a couple years go by and I get yet another letter asking for proof of taxes payed.

I ignored that one and have never heard back from them, but I still have the bill of sale even though I no longer own that boat.

It's tough dealing with in-competance.

I had seperate bills it's not the 1st boat of have imported

That was for everyone elses benefit, remember who told me what to do when I imported the Ranger??? A clue, you will see him every morning in the mirror. :thumbsup_anim::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter as well. 4 years after I bought the boat and paid the PST and GST to the Feds. I called, told them that I paid the tax when imported it and was required to show that the taxes were paid when the boat was registered at Services Canada. I added that it is unreasonable for them to ask for tax receipts so many years after the purchase and that they need to communicate with their tax collectors at Federal Government for more information. The response was quick, OK we will take your name off of the list.

jerks

I got a letter as well. 4 years after I bought the boat and paid the PST and GST to the Feds. I called, told them that I paid the tax when imported it and was required to show that the taxes were paid when the boat was registered at Services Canada. I added that it is unreasonable for them to ask for tax receipts so many years after the purchase and that they need to communicate with their tax collectors at Federal Government for more information. The response was quick, OK we will take your name off of the list.

jerks

Itoo bought a boat and received the same letter , stupid stuff , i told them they had mix me up with some one eles because we live to far inland to own boats ....