My first SKI!!!!

mattp33

Glad you got the net. It's best to keep the hooks as far away as possible. I remember using a cradle for a year and everytime I slid a fish in it I was expecting it to thrash and hook me back. Scary in my books. My friend has the Boca with the long handle, but still too close for me. Those large muskie nets let the fish rest and they tend to be quieter with the net around them in the water. Use extra long needle nose pliers if you can get at the hooks or cutters when you can't get at them and remove them safely. I don't like leaving hardware in the fishes mouth. The only time the fish comes out of the water is for a quick picture.

Man some of you are hard on others!

I think Mike has a good point. Now that I think about my hand was awefully close to those trebles and the fish was green, so had he thrashed it was very possible to be hooked to the fish. One time I was hooked to my dogs nose (dont ask, I am still tramitized by the accident) With that said, even if the fish is in the net you gotta get your hand close to get the lure out. Do you guys cut the hooks rather than remove the lure? I saw on musky hunter that they just cut the hook and thats it. I bet those treble are $$$. I guess if your the musky hunter you dont pay for them but I DO! If it were the fish or the hook, the hook would be cut in a heartbeat but... just sayin. I have got a lot out of this thread and I am glad it didn;t go bad. It was hit or miss there for a few posts.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I learned a lot and and yes...I got the bite now! Going to try to get a bigger one this weekend.

Here we go!clapping.gif

You can get these hooks in Bulk i believe.relatively inexpensive. NOW.........I for one, want to know, how and why did you get your hand hooked to your dogs nosewhistling.gif You cant just throw that out there and think we wouldnt want to know, did you?clapping.gif

unless the fish is lightly hooked or i am using a bait with a single. i usually snip the trebles. much safer esp. when alone in the boat with a bait that has 3 trebles.

ccmt those gloves are a bad idea; a hook will have no problem penetrating them then you are stuck with a hook in your hand and a glove you cannot remove/cut easily.

Edited by Raf

You can get these hooks in Bulk i believe.relatively inexpensive. NOW.........I for one, want to know, how and why did you get your hand hooked to your dogs nosewhistling.gif You cant just throw that out there and think we wouldnt want to know, did you?clapping.gif

Lol, sounds like an experience I had a few years back, shore fishing with my kids and dog. I was unhooking a small walleye and had too much slack line, my dog ran across chasing a frog or something on the shore and caught my line. It jerked out the jig and punched into my thumb and believe me it hurt like hell. Didnt help that my dog kept running either. That stupid prediciment took me about twenty minutes to get under control, it was a complete disaster. Left me with 8 stitches to the thumb too

Get yourself a GOOD set of cutters Matt, infact get Knipex if you can. Their fairly spendy but someone mentioned earlier that you can now get them in one of the box stores so that'll probably be less money.

If you happen to get your hand hooked up with a musky in a bad mood, the last thing you want is cheap cutters that won't do the trick. I can cut 7/0 hooks with one hand with my Knipex.

If you can back a hook out of the mouth with no trouble, go ahead, but if not simply cut them off and grab the pieces with the long nosed pliers....you DO have long nosed pliers, right ?? :D

Hooks are cheap and very easy to change, infact I've probably got at least 100 spare hooks in my boat of varying sizes from 4/0 up to 7/0

I think Mike has a good point. Now that I think about my hand was awefully close to those trebles and the fish was green, so had he thrashed it was very possible to be hooked to the fish. One time I was hooked to my dogs nose (dont ask, I am still tramitized by the accident) With that said, even if the fish is in the net you gotta get your hand close to get the lure out. Do you guys cut the hooks rather than remove the lure? I saw on musky hunter that they just cut the hook and thats it. I bet those treble are $$$. I guess if your the musky hunter you dont pay for them but I DO! If it were the fish or the hook, the hook would be cut in a heartbeat but... just sayin. I have got a lot out of this thread and I am glad it didn;t go bad. It was hit or miss there for a few posts.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I learned a lot and and yes...I got the bite now! Going to try to get a bigger one this weekend.

Here we go!clapping.gif

Wow! I read your comments and my eyes popped when I read the part about your dog. Two years ago I was sitting on my deck when I heard crashing and banging in my garage. I look in to see my fishing rods flying around, bouncing off power tools and my yellow lab peeling line off a baitcaster like a friggin 80 lb tuna. I can't write what came out of my mouth. The dog went in and sniffed a crankbait and snagged a treble hook through a nostril. He went nuts and I don't blame him. I lost two rods and 5 years off my life in stress before I managed to stop the dog, get side cutters and cut the hooks. I sweat just thinking about it. I still feel like a asshat.gif about it...poor bugger. My rods NEVER just stand up within reach of the dog now. It was horrible.

PS. Oh before someone asks, the Boga didn't work either whistling.gif

Wow! I read your comments and my eyes popped when I read the part about your dog. Two years ago I was sitting on my deck when I heard crashing and banging in my garage. I look in to see my fishing rods flying around, bouncing off power tools and my yellow lab peeling line off a baitcaster like a friggin 80 lb tuna. I can't write what came out of my mouth. The dog went in and sniffed a crankbait and snagged a treble hook through a nostril. He went nuts and I don't blame him. I lost two rods and 5 years off my life in stress before I managed to stop the dog, get side cutters and cut the hooks. I sweat just thinking about it. I still feel like a asshat.gif about it...poor bugger. My rods NEVER just stand up within reach of the dog now. It was horrible.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!rofl2.gif

I almost choked on my ginger snaps reading this. I mean, i feel for the dog, but i would have probably peed myself laffing, watching that line peeling off your rod.Was it a Musky rod ???What kind of line were you usingsarcasm.gif

Oh ya...Long needle noisewhistling.gif lol mental note = add to shopping list!

I do have a really good pair of cutters, I learned that with a dog.

K short story = Fishing with my 8 month old choco lab, 2 rods rigged in the boat. Dog starts to move towards spare rod that has a flat fish on with 2 trebles. I see this and start to move towards as well. I reach to put my hand onver the lure as he moves in for a closer smell. We got to it at the same time, him on the bottom treble, my hand on the front treble. He gets pricked as I tried to pull the rod away (trying to prevent him from getting hooked) We play tug-a-war as the treble sinks further into his nose and further into my hand!

I also had a few stiches and a emergency trip to a vet in north bay to have the hook removed from his nose. Thanks goodness for a great couple in the boat about 300 yards away. They came to our rescue, as soon as they heard the dog they knew what happened. They said thats why the dont take there dog fishing anymore.

WOW! I didn't read this before I posted.

I thought mine was a freak accident but I guess I am not alone! Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the worst dog owner in the world. Might still be, but I am not alone hahahahahahasarcasm.gif

Same thing tho I know how you feel about lose of years off your life. I was alone in a boat in the middle of lake nosbonsing. I got 2 of the 3 hooks on the treble cut but the 3rd was going downt towards his mouth deep in his nose!

WOW! I didn't read this before I posted.

I thought mine was a freak accident but I guess I am not alone! Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the worst dog owner in the world. Might still be, but I am not alone hahahahahahasarcasm.gif

Same thing tho I know how you feel about lose of years off your life. I was alone in a boat in the middle of lake nosbonsing. I got 2 of the 3 hooks on the treble cut but the 3rd was going downt towards his mouth deep in his nose!

No your not alone! In fact, about a year before it happened to my dog I was at a buddy's house and he was reeling his lures up to the tip of the rod before leaning them against the table. I had to ask and he said "the damn dog will hang himself on the hooks" I laughed like hell. That was all I could think of that day in my garage! Oh, and you can still see a small black dot on my dog's nose...a cruel reminder.

Dogs are such Dopes. Had a Cocker a few years back. Got too close to a Hammer handle Pike that flipped off my hook in the bottom of the boat.grabbed his ear and held on for dear life.I chuckle even today when i think of the look of panic, as she tried to get it off here ear.No damge was done to either fish or silly mutt.clapping.gif

Dogs are such Dopes. Had a Cocker a few years back. Got too close to a Hammer handle Pike that flipped off

my hook in the bottom of the boat.grabbed his ear and held on for dear life.I chuckle even today when i think of the look of panic, as she tried to get it off here ear.No damge was done to either fish or silly mutt.clapping.gif

[/quote

We forget it's like having a 6 year old running around. Hmmm never had my kids snagged through the nose! Dumb dog!

Hey mike, i wasnt harping on you or bent out of shape in any way. Hooks go in hands for a variety of reasons. I only use barbless hooks and, like i said, havent used the boga in a long time. In fact, i use the net more often than not if the fish needs extra attention. The problem for me is that i fish alone 90% of the time and you need two hands to remove the hooks, leaving the net to become a problem in itself. Again, barbless solves most of the issues i have with unhooking fish wirhout any additional tools and rarely remove the fish from the water. Knipex cutters are also mandatory and are the first line of defence for deeply hooked fish. Tightlines and no hissy fits;) !

Hey mike, i wasnt harping on you or bent out of shape in any way. Hooks go in hands for a variety of reasons. I only use barbless hooks and, like i said, havent used the boga in a long time. In fact, i use the net more often than not if the fish needs extra attention. The problem for me is that i fish alone 90% of the time and you need two hands to remove the hooks, leaving the net to become a problem in itself. Again, barbless solves most of the issues i have with unhooking fish wirhout any additional tools and rarely remove the fish from the water. Knipex cutters are also mandatory and are the first line of defence for deeply hooked fish. Tightlines and no hissy fits;) !

Neat trick...

If your running salty rod holders...

You can hang your net on the salty around the yoke section ... Works really well...

Congrats, my first (and only) was only a 22" and caught by accident casting into matts for bass lol. I know how u feel netting tho I hooked up to a 42" pike last may alone up near bancroft and didn't have a net so craddled it with my life jacket and almost took a double treb hook from my buck tail in the neck when it thrashed beside the boat dock lol. Lesson learned let me tell u

Congrats on the first Ski everyone is special in some way but you never forget the first.

I would suggest a good tri pod for your camera also learn to use the timer function it is amazing what great shots you can get using them. I set my tir-pod up just after setting my lines trolling or before I start to cast this way its ready to go. I attach the base to the camera then place it back into the case for quick use.

good luck on the next ski.

Oh yeah Bass love musky lures here is one from last week it ate a woodie.

6bcff250.jpg

Congrats on the first Ski everyone is special in some way but you never forget the first.

I would suggest a good tri pod for your camera also learn to use the timer function it is amazing what great shots you can get using them. I set my tir-pod up just after setting my lines trolling or before I start to cast this way its ready to go. I attach the base to the camera then place it back into the case for quick use.

good luck on the next ski.

Oh yeah Bass love musky lures here is one from last week it ate a woodie.

6bcff250.jpg

Amazing innit? It reminds me of when I catch perch on 3-4" walleye plugs. Proves that you simply can't go too big.

[quote name='Raf' date='26 August 2011 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1314382748' post='615913'

ccmt those gloves are a bad idea; a hook will have no problem penetrating them then you are stuck with a hook in your hand and a glove you cannot remove/cut easily.

I think these gloves have value when handling a musky. I have seen a ski lipped with these gloves with no ill effect. Even a small ski can turn on a person during the release and do some serious damage. I believe such a situation happened to a member of this forum last year. I also have confidence that a glove that can prevent a musky tooth from penetrating it will have at least some resistance to a hook.

Edited by fishgreg