Man Arrested for Impaired Operation of a Paddleboat?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

And dr sal, a bike is not a motor vehicle and a person cannot be arrested for impaired biking lol he got a public intox ticket which is a wopping $65

Now you've done it Dave! Every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be mounting a bike on a paddleboat! :lol:

Chances are the dude was billegernt and pushed the issue, BUT....

Ya fined in a Paddle boat is rediculous.

The same thing happend to a guy in a Canoe back in July on Belwood lake....

Hardly a danger to the public though....sure he could "drift" into a lane way, but the same could be said for a kid on a floaty. Or an idiot who simply swims into the channel(seen this several times)

On the Positive side....Impaired operation of a vessle is NOT the same as DUI

If I understand correctly this guy will simply be charged, fined, and perhaps told he's not allowed to operate any "vessles" for a certain amount of time????

Which in its self is kind of silly,

Does he need a pleasure craft license to operate a Paddle boat or canoe....

Its really more of a slap on the wrist for someone being drunk and belligerent I think, but I could be wrong...and if I am I'm sure someone will tell me :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

without us being there, it's not fair to speculate the guy was being disorderly.

my uncle has been issued tickets on a nearby lake for having one beer in the boat while making his evening troll around the lake (not intoxicated). spare me the lecture that it's "still illegal" because cops have discretion on what fines they should write but they will issue any ticket possible while on field excursions like these because of the astronomical cost of fuel and officers being in the field.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

The dummy blew over .080mgs....he was hammered it actually takes a lot of drinkin to get you bac over 80. When I took the breath technition course I was a got the chance to be a test subject and had 5 rye and cokes in 45 minutes and the highest reading I registered was a .04 and there was no way I was going to drive afterwards. Regardless of the fact that he was in a paddleboat it is considered the same as a canoe or a car or airplane...under the criminal code of canada a paddleboat is considered a vessel

And dr sal, a bike is not a motor vehicle and a person cannot be arrested for impaired biking lol he got a public intox ticket which is a wopping $65

Thats rediculous.

Health Canada states that it is dangerous to your health to have more than 2 drinks in a 24 hour period.

You should be charged with public intoxication and your employer should be charged with endangering a worker.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

something tells me being sober on a jetski is far more dangerous than being drunk on a paddleboat but what do i know! :whistling:

As mentioned earlier bizzare and strange acidents occur daily.Many times people need protection from their own stupidity.It boils down to "dont like the rules,dont play the game"I didnt see it mentioned in the article if the man could swim or not.He was impaired which means his decision making,reaction time,coordination etc etc was "impaired".

I have seen intoxicated people die from falling off a bar stool so the vehicle has little to do with it.Impaired,on the water AND without safety equipment,that is the issue.

Edited by Chance

I saw on the Burnt River a few years ago a guy's son threw one of his water wings into the middle of the river. Buddy quickly jumped in his paddle boat to go get it before it drifted away. Honestly, 15 ft at most from his dock. On the way back in, OPP boat happened to be cruising the river at that time. He actually got a ticket for not having his safety equipment.

Like, I'm all about having your safety equipment but seriously, he was paddling out to grab a water wing for his son. It took him 2 minutes, spare the 20 talking to the power trip OPP. I was about 4 docks down, but I didn't see him acting belligerent or rude to the police in any way. They just wanted to hand out a ticket.

I think the laws are pretty ridiculous in some instances.

Thats rediculous.

Health Canada states that it is dangerous to your health to have more than 2 drinks in a 24 hour period.

You should be charged with public intoxication and your employer should be charged with endangering a worker.

really? because it was a controlled experiment operated by the centre of forensic sciences and i couldn't leave the room or building until i was at 0 and the i was cabbed to my hotel

Well it is impaired operation of a vessel...no different than driving a lawn tractor or golf cart drunk

Completely different if you ask me as the lawn tractor and golf cart are powered by motors while the peddle boat is human powered. Next thing you will see is somebody charged for being drunk while riding an innertube down the credit. <_<

really? because it was a controlled experiment operated by the centre of forensic sciences and i couldn't leave the room or building until i was at 0 and the i was cabbed to my hotel

Its not a controlled experiment. There were no doctors or scientists present. The results of the so called experiment are already known so there was no need to conduct it.

You were drunk on the job and it was sanctioned by your employer. What would the ministry of labour say if I conducted an experiment on a construction site, even if it was sanctioned by management.

Its not a controlled experiment. There were no doctors or scientists present. The results of the so called experiment are already known so there was no need to conduct it.

You were drunk on the job and it was sanctioned by your employer. What would the ministry of labour say if I conducted an experiment on a construction site, even if it was sanctioned by management.

uhh there were 4 scientists there and it was hands on training for the use of the intoxilyzer 8000c and it wasn't sanctioned by my employer it was through the centre of forensic sciences ....thanks, what else do you have?

and i wasn't onthe job, i was on a course far away from my place of employment

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i think i'm going to conduct my own controlled experiment around the bbq tonight. bbq walleye anyone? let's hope i don't get a ticket when i walk down the street to offer some to the in-laws. :stretcher:

uhh there were 4 scientists there and it was hands on training for the use of the intoxilyzer 8000c and it wasn't sanctioned by my employer it was through the centre of forensic sciences ....thanks, what else do you have?

Sugar coat it all you want. Its still excessive consumption. I see no need to get drunk to see if a breathalyser works.

You blow in it and it gives you a reading. 0 is as good a reading as .05 and a lot safer.

The centre for forensic sciences still falls under the labour code and they got you impaired at work, therefore sanctioned by your employer.

The Center for Fornsic sciences???, no doctors or scientists present???? Give your head a shake.

By your logic then, we should cancel all science experiments that take place in High School or college because the results are known. As for being drunk on the job, as part of a training excercise, that is just normal procedure in training someone to enforce our laws.

I suppose you feel that firearms training should be done with a pointed finger and the officer yelling "bang" rather than using live ammunition as well.

and i wasn't onthe job, i was on a course far away from my place of employment

so you took the course on your own time for free, paid the course fees out of your own pocket...again..sugar coating