My August 6th Report (with pics)

adolson

Here's a report for today, spent fishing with my cousin.

285527_10150341555765928_728810927_9856775_7276237_n.jpg

We started off by waking up at 4am, left my place at 4:30ish, hit the water with lines in at Liberty by 5:50am, in hopes of finally landing an Aurora. Beautiful start to the day. No action until around 6:30.

At that point, my cousin hooked one, OR SAYS HE DID, but lost it. I didn't get a single bite. We both tried with hook and worm and lures and lures with worms, trolled every speed we could, let out a mile of line, I tried with a tiny Williams Wobbler with the hook removed, then maybe a foot of line with a hook and worm, as recommended by a guy we met last time.

We did catch a whole lot of Liberty Lake Special - wood of all sorts and sizes. Here's the biggest one of the day:

198742_10150341555830928_728810927_9856777_1995316_n.jpg

On the way out of Liberty Lake, I wanted to take a Sharpie and black out the "ing" on the "No Fishing" sign. Too bad I don't carry them, and that's probably illegal anyhow. :P

250282_10150341555715928_728810927_9856774_1339447_n.jpg

On the way back to my place, we went to the Montreal River in Latchford (the parkette side of the bridge) and tossed away a brand new Rattlin' Rapala that I didn't want anymore. Never fishing that side of the bridge again. I had good luck on the opposite side in the past. Then we hit my place for homemade pizza lunch. while watching a trout video. Around 2pm we head out to my favorite spot on the Montreal, down a back road from Cobalt.

185533_10150341555860928_728810927_9856778_6194045_n.jpg

It hasn't done me wrong yet, and I'm due for a fish - hadn't got one since last weekend. 6pm rolls around, still no fish. I almost call it a day - it's been a long one already, but no, I persist. This curse must be broken!

7:30pm, I decide, OK, I can't cast my floating Rapalas very far, but they work great at Anima-Nip while trolling. I tie it on, cast out as far as I can about 3 times and I feel the nibbles... Next cast, bam! Smallie on, and landed.

185516_10150341555945928_728810927_9856780_1996109_n.jpg

I weigh over 300lbs (working on that...) so that bass is what, like a good 40-45lbs??

A few minutes later, wham! Pike takes it. Good thing I have a leader on.

226093_10150341556060928_728810927_9856783_5828641_n.jpg

Since my cousin hadn't caught a fish yet, and has never caught a bass, I give him the magical lure and I switch to my trusty Hula Popper. Within a few minutes, BAM! Another bass on my line! Love that topwater action! Nice size, too (didn't measure).

185440_10150341556105928_728810927_9856784_6285109_n.jpg

Hula Popping still... A few more minutes later, whack! Another smallie takes it! My cousin can't even keep his line in because he's taking the pictures, haha.

281900_10150341556130928_728810927_9856785_6147841_n.jpg

He decides he's gonna try popping, so we switch up again. I go back to my Rapala. A few casts in, BAM! Pike takes it. A little guy - didn't have my pliers, took a bit for my cuz to run and get them (now I know to clip them onto my shirt while I walk the shore). I held him in the water at the shore until he kicked away, so he should hopefully live fine. There wasn't much damage or blood or anything.

229747_10150341556190928_728810927_9856787_2381817_n.jpg

I LOVE THESE LURES.

285070_10150341556025928_728810927_9856781_3309227_n.jpg

And that was all she wrote. I did have another (fairly big) pike on, but it got off before I could land it. My cousin had a good time, but didn't land a fish. He's landing jumps in Burnout Paradise now as we rapidly approach the 24-hour mark of being awake.

I may try Liberty ONE MORE TIME. But I'm gonna wait on that for a while.

Time for dinner, and then bed for a 12-hour nap. Probably gonna hit Anima-Nip tomorrow evening with my fish finder from my uncle (should arrive tomorrow - it's really old, from the 80s, but hopefully it works fine).

Thanks for checking out my report.

Edited by Dana

On the way out of Liberty Lake, I wanted to take a Sharpie and black out the "ing" on the "No Fishing" sign. Too bad I don't carry them, and that's probably illegal anyhow. :P

250282_10150341555715928_728810927_9856774_1339447_n.jpg

Dana,

I know you are new to fishing, however that sigh has the lake posted as a sanctuary, that means you run the risk of a very large fine and having your gear seized if you fish there.

Good shooting on the Montreal river!

That photo was a surprise to me so I checked the regs and apparently the season is Aug 1- Oct 15 for 2011 and closed the rest of the year. It will be closed for all of 2012 as a sanctuary. Must still be an at risk species...

Those Montreal R bass look great, I might have to check it out next time I'm Temagami way.

Edited by woodenboater

Elusive Aurora. Maybe the MNR is messing with us by opening the season knowing that there's actually nothing in there. That's the same feeling I get about some of the inland rainbow stocked lakes.

Keep at'er man. If you post an aurora trout topic, you will be a hero to many here. A HERO!! Aurora_Dana would be my suggestion as a moniker.

That photo was a surprise to me so I checked the regs and apparently the season is Aug 1- Oct 15 for 2011 and closed the rest of the year. It will be closed for all of 2012 as a sanctuary. Must still be an at risk species...

Those Montreal R bass look great, I might have to check it out next time I'm Temagami way.

The lakes that are open for Aurora Trout rotate on a 3 year cycle. Open for one then closed for 2. Check out T.J.'s thread on Aurora Trout from this past spring.

Wynn Lake in Esker Park just East of Kirkland Lake is a great opportunity for an Aurora. Only open every 3 years but guys have success there with small spinners like Mepps and Panther Martin and a piece of worm. Anyone wanting to plan a trip there in 2013 let me know and I will make arrangements. Free lodging.

Edited by Nipfisher

Dana,

I know you are new to fishing, however that sigh has the lake posted as a sanctuary, that means you run the risk of a very large fine and having your gear seized if you fish there.

I'm newly returning, yeah, but I'm really not an idiot. :) I try hard to fish fully legally. This is a great pastime, and I don't want to ever knowingly (or unknowingly) break any laws. Trust me, if I see a No Fishing sign, I'm not fishing there. Here's the closeup sign:

libertylakesign.jpg

Edited by Dana

I'm newly returning, yeah, but I'm really not an idiot. :) I try hard to fish fully legally. This is a great pastime, and I don't want to ever knowingly (or unknowingly) break any laws. Trust me, if I see a No Fishing sign, I'm not fishing there. Here's the closeup sign:

libertylakesign.jpg

Accept my apologies. :wallbash:

No worries. I just don't want you thinking that I break the law, and then am stupid enough to post it on a fishing forum. LOL

Great report.. im gonna have a very interesting aurora story soon, I hope!!!

Good fishin'...Where's the walleye? The montreal's full of 'em!

:dunno: I've never really had luck getting walleye from shore. Any tips? I love catching bass, though I love eating walleye too. :)

Gotta love those floating Rapalas :thumbsup_anim:

Indeed. I mostly ignored them until my wife told me to try my little one in Anima-Nip while trolling. I have liked other Rapalas, but now this is my favorites. I did pick up a Husky Jerk too, but haven't really used it yet.

Must still be an at risk species...

Judging by the 14 or so hours I've spent lapping that lake, I'd say it's no longer at risk, but extinct. :D

That's the same feeling I get about some of the inland rainbow stocked lakes.

Tried one of those tonight, since Anima-Nip was a bit rough and I am anxious to get a trout now anyhow for some reason. No luck. The fish-finder I have is real old... Humminbird LCR4ID or something like that. The screen is just gigantic dots! But hey, it tells me the depth, warns me when we hit shallow water, and kinda shows the bottom. The fish are in giant red pixels, but I can't tell if they're baitfish or rainbows or what. I think I have to read the manual. And I don't really know what to use to catch trout (except worms, which I forgot at home).. I have some research to do.

Very nice Dana... if the planets align just right I may get into that "fish sanctuary" before it closes this year!

If you know much in advance when you're going, let me know and if timing is right, I could plan to hit it again that day and meet you too. Unless you figure the less boats on the water, the better - but honestly, didn't seem to make a difference for us since we were alone this time and no luck. (Or if you're going alone, I could just drive and meet you there if you want to boatpool..). I'm sure you know you gotta be there before the sun wakes up, and that road has about four nasty spots on it, so make sure you've had your coffee.

Some day, I will catch this fish. Until then, I think they don't exist.

Edited by Dana

I've never really had luck getting walleye from shore. Any tips? I love catching bass, though I love eating walleye too.

One word...beetlespin! Anyone who's fished with me knows how much confidence I have in them. I'd say just aboot every walleye I've caught in 8 or less FOW this year has been on one. :thumbsup_anim: