Bay Lake report w/ pic

adolson

I went out to Bay Lake, first time, and I didn't get anything except some weeds. Then I was trolling back to the launch and got this little guy on the line. I didn't even think there was a fish, I thought it was weeds at first. But then it pulled a bit.

I wasn't gonna bother posting this, but in that "gimme BoQ GPS coords" thread, you guys stressed how you looooove pictures, so here ya go. Here's a picture:

285110_10150332804215928_728810927_9761186_3662923_n.jpg

I joke it's a monster, but it actually is the biggest rock bass I've seen myself. I estimate it was about 1/2 a pound or so (no scale! gotta get one soon). I know the Ontario record is like 3-4lbs, though.

My left (rod) hand is in rough shape from so much fishing lately (pinky and ring feel rubbery... not good). I need a couple days off, and then I'm gonna hopefully hit Anima-Nip and Liberty lakes on the weekend. My uncle is hooking me up with a free older Hummingbird finder in a week or two, so that should help me out in the future! Kinda excited about that.

My uncle is hooking me up with a free older Hummingbird finder in a week or two, so that should help me out in the future! Kinda excited about that.

If that doesn't pan out for you I have an old Eagle fish finder sitting in my garage you can have.

I've taking them home a couple of times (All about the size in the pic) and both times had black specs throughout the meat. Is this normal in rock bass? Seemed like a parasite to me, both came from different lakes with same results.

I read up on it, since I've seen that in smallmouths in the Montreal River and Gillies Lake, and if I remember correctly, it happens in nutrient-rich water, and it's safe to eat as long as you cook it thoroughly. I almost always freeze my filets for a couple days as well. If it was a crazy amount of specks, I probably wouldn't eat it.

I never even thought about eating a rock bass. Maybe I should have.

nice! lol.. been to bay lake...caught 3-4 smallies.. biggest was 3lbs... Lake is tiny... i think we fished every spot twice over weekend!

not to mention the crazy amount of tubers on that lake... madhouse!

I am sure there is more than one "Bay Lake" eh? This is the one in Latchford, part of the Montreal River system. Same one? It seemed fairly big to me (not Lake Temiskaming big, but big).

Edited by Dana

I have a friend that now lives in Latchford and I've been there on fishing trips a few times. Tons of hammer handle pike in the top end of the lake where is turns into a river.

Rae

I am sure there is more than one "Bay Lake" eh? This is the one in Latchford, part of the Montreal River system. Same one? It seemed fairly big to me (not Lake Temiskaming big, but big).

your right... differnt lake! the one i went to was Bay lake in Kearney