Mini Report

DRIFTER_016

I was in Lutselke' on the East Arm of Great Slave Lake for work this past week and stayed at the local Lodge for my accomodations. :whistling:

I had a lot of work to do in town over the week but got to wet a line on a couple of occasions. :thumbsup_anim: The first time I put on the waders and hiked a ways up from the lodge and fished from a point where the river dumps into the bay. I managed a couple of grayling in the 18" range and several trout to about 7 or 8 pounds. Not bad for an hour and a half. I did notice that the water felt pretty chilly (think I have a seam leak in the G3's :o ) I found out later that the temp there was still only 4.5C. :w00t:

The following day (and my last full day in the area) I was able to finish all the work I had to do and get back to the lodge by lunch. The lodge is run by a husband and wife team (Wayne and Debbie) and they have a nice little operation going on there. The boats are 18' Alumarines with 40hp Merc EFI 4 Strokes. I talked to Wayne about taking a boat out for the afternoon and evening and after lunch got out and did a little fly trolling for troots!!!

So I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

Enjoy

P7210001.jpg

P7210010.jpg

P7210004.jpg

P7210007.jpg

P7210005a.jpg

P7210009.jpg

Good fishing and looks like good travelling too....brings back memories of our stay around YK and environs....

One of my two favourite NWT stories comes out of Snowdrift, as Lutselke' was previously known....from a Chipaweyan guy who used to live there before succumbing to the attractions of Yellowknife...

It was early in the season and there was a large rim of ice between the open beach of the village and the open lake beyond. Three American fisherman were in an open boat while a expressionless faced native elder was driving a tiller motor at the rear. The fishermen began to panic as it appeared that the guide wasn't going to slow the boat for the ice. Instead, at the last minute, the guide tilted up the outboard, the boat slid along the ice like a tobagan until it reached open water, whereupon the outboard was tilted down and the boat continued onward.