Sunglasses

mercman

Hey all

I have been seriously thinking about protecting my eyes better from uv radiation, while allowing myself the luxury of being able to see below the surface reflection of the water. Right now i have a pair of cheap Rapala sunglasses, rated for uva and b, but they dont do alot for reflection off the water.

What do you guys use.

Hey paul.

I have a $30 or $40 set I got from Bass Pro from Extream Optics and I wear them every day and I'm happy with them. They last about 3 to 4 years of daily use too. What kind of price range are you looking at? I wear amber all the time and I've never had a problem. Some like smoke on a bright day and amber of an overcast day. Me, I like what works... Cheers.

PS, I hear Solar Bat (Solar____ ?) products are very good to for teh price.

Geoff

As a sun glass user everyday I do a lot of driving buy a pair with glass lenses that have polarisation protection as well. My current pair are rayban but I would suggest that you look at an alternate brand with better warrantee support.

My current pair are rayban but I would suggest that you look at an alternate brand with better warrantee support.

I have NEVER had a problem with any of my RayBan glasses and or warranty. B&L now runs the Canada arm of RayBan (I think) so try there if you have issues.

I still have a set of RayBan glasses I got for fishing but with the misshaps that can happen while fishing I'll stick to my sub $50 set's.

There is a lot of hype about sunglasses. I have a nice pair of polarized arnette sunglasses, and a pair of spy polarized that I use and work well The arnette are amber and the spy darker. I've never used a cheaper pair so I can't compare them to cheaper ones. They have lasted a long time (4 years plus). I feel like I can see pretty well below the water.

I'm thinking you should figure out what type of fishing you are doing. If you are sight fishing, or casting for musky I would say that you need a good pair. My brother fly fishes and has several pair depending on light conditions. If he can see a fish before the fish sees him he has a good chance of catching it. If you have no need to locate or see fish than any old pair will do. If you predominantly troll than polarized glasses won't make a difference to you.

Whatever you do remember to always wear sunglasses. As Dave Mercer says, they can save an eye.

Thanks guys. I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. I see just fine up to 3-400 feet without prescription glasses, but the artificial lens they put in my eyes tend to cause a star effect in really bright light and when reflected from snow and water. The Rapalas do nothing to reduce this lens flare type of effect. Anyone else experience this too.

im on the road alot and i need good protection for my eyes......ive had cheaper pairs but for some reason they dont perform as well as the more expensive ones

i have a pair of serngetti's for driving...reddish colour...for some reason i love that tint

and for fishing i use my maui jim's...also a reddish tinge...they work great

Ive had really good luck with the " Peppers Eyewear " ive had Smith , Oakleys , arnettes, Killer Loop , Costa Del Mars and these 39.99 peppers are all as good as the top brands , They have Lifetime warranty even if you scratch them you get a new pair they have a tonne of different styles and even some that float , which are the ones i have . I dont work for these guys or anything i'm just really happy with them and the warranty service is quick and painless

I'll never buy anything other then Maui Jims.. Glass lens, polarized, local shop you can drop by and get warranty work. Well worth the price. Awesome customer service.

I got a free pair of lenses after I went in there and told them that I smashed my one lens underneath a backpack strap, lol. They asked how old the glasses were, I said maybe 2 months. Took my frames, new lenses, new carrying case, etc etc. You can't beat service like that.

costa del mars for me to, i used to use the cheapos but the difference is astounding. esp. when it comes to strain on the eyes. i have the 580 (?) glass ones.

Edited by Raf

I have two pairs of H2optix...one pair with grey lenses and the other pair with amber. The colour makes a big difference on overcast days vs. sunny days. As far as brand goes, it depends on the type of fishing you do. If your trolling in 120 feet of water, you're looking for UV protection as a main function. If you're sight fishing for bass in 6 feet of water, UV is important but quality of the lense comes into play much more. I keep a backup pair of "polarized" glasses from BPS in my bag and there is no comparison to the more expense H2optix when sight fishing. Out in deep water, I couldn't care less. IMHO.

I've always wondered if sunglass lenses are like fishing line: Very few manufacturers, all you are paying for is the packaging and the advertising.

Not really.. There's a reason why some glasses are $250+ and other are like $50, lol. you definitely get what you pay for.

I've always wondered if sunglass lenses are like fishing line: Very few manufacturers, all you are paying for is the packaging and the advertising.

I am kind of the same thought here.

Not really.. There's a reason why some glasses are $250+ and other are like $50, lol. you definitely get what you pay for.

True (I guess), but show me how and that all that other good stuff (not asking you to do so Bill, the companies involved) works better then XYZ company.

Edited by GBW

Paul, I don't know if you can still get them but 2 years ago I purchased a $5 pair from Walmart in the fishing section...they are Berkeley Sunglasses...my wife like them so much I had to get her a pair...then my sister in-law also like them so now she has a pair and then I went and bought 2 more pairs for the car and truck...they are polarized and should do the trick for you on the water....lightest, clearest sunglasses I ever had and so far none of them ever scratched....next time I get to Walmart I might pick up another pair for future use.

Is it the same reason some spools of fluorocarbon cost 20 bucks and some 40?

Edited by fishgreg

I am another H2Optix guy. I actually have 3 pairs or H2Optix. 2 amber lenses pairs and 1 smoke pair. The H2Optix are not easy to find anymore. I beleive they were bought by Bolle or Sarengetti.

I typically just use Amber all the time. I just like the contrast and the brightness they provide. Just my prefferense.

I also have a pair of Spy Mach II w/ polarized lenses that are very very dark. These are my everyday glasses, but I have used them fishing before. Spy offers a good polarized lens.

Just remember, you only get one set of eyes. Good glasses are well worth the price tag. For great savings, check out ebay. I got 2 pairs of h2Optixs for $60 on a closeout sale from a place in Ohio last year.

This is off the Optix site

Amber lens: The optimum lens for freshwater fishing and high-performance boat racing. Delivers high contrast and improved depth perception.

Dark Grey:The preferred lens for offshore fishing and general water activities. Offers true color perception in moderate to bright conditions.

Dark Grey with silver Flash:Silver top gradient flash coating helps provide extra protection from harsh overhead light

I just got Haven polarized ones. They are made to fit over your prescription glasses. I took the amber lense and they are just amazing. They are $50 at Canadian tire. They are comfortable and stay on my face and (for over glasses) they look good.

Edited by umKthxbye

High quality polarized lenses vary in price based on the lens material firstly, and the various treatments and processes for UV protection, tinting, shatter/impact resistance. The frame material is also brought into the equation. Glass lenses generally provide the best optical performance with the least amount of distortion. They are also heavier, but less prone to scratching than plastic lenses, which are lighter, but more impact resistant. Different companies use different techniques of applying UV filters to the lenses, from films to other processes. Different companies will have multiple layers of various coatings etc. So, companies do have enough variation to warrant claiming being different than other brands. How different may be harder to tell. Whether proprietary process A is better than B may be impossible to tell.