I am flying out of Wawa

Terry

Thought I'd bump this for you despite the pm's.

Surprised no one's mentioned Youngs general store in Wawa. It's a really cool old landmark, well worth checking out while you're there.

As far as the fishing goes ask the pilot to circle the lake a couple of times. Have your map and pencil handy and mark all the spots you see: points, rocks, and especially mid lake humps that would normally be difficult to spot.

I always spend a bit of time at first combing the lake with the graph pin pointing as much structure as I can find and marking it on the map as well.

Once you start fishing a couple of floating markers are very handy to mark the spots, especially the offshore humps.

On a new walleye lake I always troll either worm harnesses or crankbaits to find the fish.

Once they're found you can usually sit on them and pound them on 3" twistertails tipped with half a worm.

White, charteuse, yellow and pink are all good colors.

Many of these smaller outpost camps don't have proper anchors.

It's always good insurance to bring a mesh bag (replacement landing net) and some rope. Throw in a nice round rock and you've got a servicable anchor.

Also good to bring a big roll of duct tape and some oversized nails.

Both will come in handy pretty much guaranteed.

Another thing I'll bring is half a dozen of those cheap solar garden lights from CT. I'll put one on the dock, and place several more on any major lake hazzards or shoal markers for fishing.

They're fantasticly handy if you do any fishing after the sun goes down.

Have a great trip Terry! Very very ironically Terry is flying into the very same lake I'm bringing my young family to. We'll be there the week after Terry LOL!

(I'm expecting lots of detailed info from you when you get back. :D)

On a side note you might find this funny (I know I did).

Check out this piece the CBC did with the Wawa transit commisioner.

It starts at the 14 minute mark.

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/

Edited by solopaddler

I moved last year and my new neighbor across the street owns MarMac lodge and White River Air...the old guy behind me used to fly for them and a lot of other airways...could be a neat new hood

edited to add, there is no way I would miss the drive along Superior to save an hour on a gravel road through Sultan and Chapleau

The MacLachlan's are incredibly nice people and they run a first class operation at MarMac and Camp 88. And I agree about the drive along Superior. I have yet to see a more beautiful area from the Soo to Wawa....

I moved last year and my new neighbor across the street owns MarMac lodge and White River Air...the old guy behind me used to fly for them and a lot of other airways...could be a neat new hood

edited to add, there is no way I would miss the drive along Superior to save an hour on a gravel road through Sultan and Chapleau

I've flown with those guys many times over the years, definitely cool neighbours you've got!

They run a great operation and have some really outstanding outpost camps.

Say hi to Danny for me when you see him.

Kinniwabi Pines has very slow service. Expect 2 hrs. No joke. Food is good, so if you have the time ... The Motor Inn is ok but 7 yrs ago it was great particularly wing night on Wednesday. The Embassy and Columbia are alright. Never eaten at the Best Northern but I've heard that it's good. No real winners. Beer store closes at 6 except Friday Saturdays at 9. The coast route is the best. Sultan road gets old real fast. Youngs GS has a great selection of lures and there is a tackle store at the end of Broadway past CTC. Old Woman Bay is worth a few cast right off the beach. I don't fish for walleye enough to give advice but I'm sure you won't have any problems. Have fun.

I'm surprised so many people are recommending driving 17 all the way to Wawa. Yeah it's scenic in spots north of the Soo, but it's also a lot slower going that route. A lot of small towns with traffic lights and transports that are impossible to pass..

My main priority is always getting there as fast as possible LOL!

The Sultan road is by far and away the shortest route. That said when I fly out of Hawk Junction next month I'll be taking 17 to 129 then 129 to 101. I'm overnighting at a small lodge (renting a cabin) just east of Hawk Junction and won't even step foot in Wawa.

The drive along the first half of 129 is also incredibly scenic as the road hugs the Missisagi river.

That route to Hawk Junction is almost exactly 40km's shorter than 17 to Wawa then east to HJ. Not "that" much shorter distance wise, but waaay faster because of less traffic..

Just my 2 cents.

I'm overnighting at a small lodge (renting a cabin) just east of Hawk Junction and won't even step foot in Wawa.

We're not that bad are we? Is it the smell, what? what is it? LOL

I used to work at a fishin lodge just past Wawa. It doesn't matter what you bring up your going to catch fish. these lakes don't see too much pressure. Jigs tipped with leeches are dynamite and X raps work well. Heck we even took spoons out of the kitchen drawer drilled a hole at both ends slapped a trebble on one end and caught pike with it. Enjoy and have fun! btw the best place to eat in wawa is Tim Hortons.

The drive along the first half of 129 is also incredibly scenic as the road hugs the Missisagi river.

Looking forward to that drive in four weeks!!!!

Have a great time up there Terry!!! Hopefully you've used up your bad luck for the year :)

Looking forward to that drive in four weeks!!!!

Have a great time up there Terry!!! Hopefully you've used up your bad luck for the year :)

I think Terry is safe for the rest of his life. Only good stuff's gunna happen now, Bud. You're driving up to get the plane Friday morning? If that's right you only have one sleep left?