Summer Vacation - Paudash Lake

ccmtcanada

I took my little one to the shores of Lake Ontario last summer with some hammers and chisels and we went rock/fossil hunting. Ever since then, she's wanted to collect some more rocks, so a quick google search on rock collecting led me to Bancroft...which is apparently the mineral capital of the world. It's also where I have relatives, so a quick phone call to them and I found out my cousin was at his cottage on Paudash Lake for the weekend. He gave me a call and said to come on up!! We got home from Sturgeon Lake on Friday...did some laundry and we left first thing Saturday morning for the cottage.

Their cottage is in an amazing location...and the view from their back balcony is breath taking...

17paudash.jpg

After a quick lunch, we headed out on my cousins pontoon boat to the sandbar for a swim and to cool off a bit from the hot sun.

18sandbar.jpg

My aunt and uncle came over to the cottage and we were treated to a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings! My little one then grabbed my fishing rod...headed to the dock ahd caught a few fish from there...

19rockbass.jpg

She then tried her hand at swinging a golf club!

27golf.jpg

She was having such a great time there, and after the campfire we had, she was pooped out fell asleep minutes after her head hit the pillow.

The next morning, my cousin and I planned to fish for some bass. This is the view that greeted us as we head out in the morning.

20sunrise.jpg

The day before, as we meandered in the pontoon boat, he was scoping out new weed growth for spots to try for some bass. We did very well for the few hours we were out there.

21bass.jpg

22cliffbass.jpg

We boated a few dozen bass...here's a pic of the nicest ones...released at the dock.

23haul.jpg

While we were out, my little one was having fun feeding her cousin's "pet" chipmunk...

26chippy.jpg

After lunch, it was rock collecting time! We drove 20 minutes to the Princess Sodalite Mine Rock Shop. They have an area in behind the store where there is a "rock farm". We ventured out in the blazing heat and humidity and picked out some nice samples. We had a pick hammer to break apart rocks to see what they looked like on the inside and placed the ones we liked into the bucket. The farm is free to go out on...and you pay by the pound for whatever you want to take home with you.

24rocks.jpg

Back at the cottage, she laid out her bounty!

25rocks.jpg

With it being so hot and humid out, my cousin took us out tubing...it was both mine and Syd's first time and it was an absolute blast!

28syddadtubing2.jpg

29syddadtubing.jpg

We left Monday afternoon...and the first thing she wanted to know was when could we go back there!! Looks like two weeks from now, we'll head back for another weekend. Back to the grind for now...it was a MUCH needed vacation!

Looks like you and your daughter had a great time!

My daughter is about the same age and likes fishing and rock collecting as well.

That rock place in Bancroft looks like somewhere we might check out sometime.

Great post :Gonefishing:

Edited by ehg

The tubing pics are priceless!!! Looks like you were the one screaming like a little girl!! The Bancroft area sure is pretty and it looks like there are some nice lunkers in there. Now you got me Jonezing for some bass fishing...... This weekend.

Thanks everyone! We had a blast up there. The tubing was a highlight for sure!

GBW - I don't remember screaming like a little girl, but I can't say for sure! Lol

Brian - you are right...it was a needed vacation! Going to Alberta to visit my brothers for a week in 3 weeks, so looking forward to more vacation time!