drop shot weights? Do you tie them on or not?

sconceptor

Hey, I always tie my drop shot weights on even though the diagrams I see for using them, it just looks as though they just slide the line in and pull it tight. I don't want to go through a bunch of them on the water, and have them fly off fighting fish or slide off on snags, therefore I just give a simple knot or two on them....I can't ajust without cutting, but at least I'm not loosing them.

Wondering what others do?

Hey there

I have never lost a drop shot weight

I slide the line through eye of the swivel and pull it up so it gets pinched in the narrow part

It holds the line pretty good , you have to really pull the line to loosen it out.

If you are concerned it wont hold you can always use pliers to squeeze the eye over the line

I use 6 lb test when drop shotting and do not tie the line. I sometimes have to adjust the opening as it it is often squeezed too tight (depending on the brand of weights) so that it will actually cut the line if the weights are used as-is right out of the package.

When no one is watching me I use barrel sinkers and jamb the line with a round toothpick...

With light line I tie an overhand knot in the end of the line to make sliding the sinker off a little harder.

When no one is watching me I use barrel sinkers and jamb the line with a round toothpick...

With light line I tie an overhand knot in the end of the line to make sliding the sinker off a little harder.

A worm weight and rubber peg works also, never lost a regular dropshot weight by it accidentally sliding off, but I used them on 8# test line.

Flea market around the corner from me sold worm weights at times for 25 cents a package, way cheaper than you see drop shot weights for.

Just got back into semi-serious fishing recently, and never heard of drop-shotting until last year, on this board I believe. I use a 'quick and dirty' set-up. Palomar a hook about a foot and a half to two feet up the line and pinch some tin or bismuth split shot on the bottom. Worked well on smallmouth last year up at Killarney P.P.

Somebody just made that name up :jerry: . That style of fishing has been around for centuries. I think it started back home, down east, they call it set-lines, but only 1 or 2 hooks. :whistling::D, any style of bell sinker will work just as good. To get less snags, use a piece of lead wire on the end. Make a small hole in the end of the wire with a awl, and bend the wire like a banana

Edited by Fish Farmer