Transporting live fish

It was just brought to my attention that it is illegal for me to keep my fish alive for the drive back to my house by car... " transporting live sport fish"

But a tournament bass angler can run 100 miles ... Catch his bag of bass... Run 100 miles back... And release them at the weigh in 100 miles from where they lived?

This doesn't make much sence to me...

The point of this rule is so that people arent catching fish and then selling them LIVE to resturants, pet stores, people, etc.

Im sure it also is to protect other bodies of water from invasive species aswell. IE... catching a fish on Lake X and transporting it and releasing it in Lake Y

The fact that the fish is being caught ON THE WATER... and transported back to the weigh in ON THE WATER... then released in the SAME BODY OF WATER.... isnt the same scenario !

Hope this helps

So you dont think moving fish a hundred miles is worse then me bonking them on the head at home instead of at the launch?

I think bass tournament really upset the balance of some fisheries... You talking hundreds of the lake/rivers largest fish being moved to the same spot...

Edited by Musky Mike

So you dont think moving fish a hundred miles is worse then me bonking them on the head at home instead of at the launch?

Your not talking apples to apples here.

If you want to get into the ethics of tournament fishing... thats a different story.

The original post was regarding the rule of transporting live fish over land.

It was just brought to my attention that it is illegal for me to keep my fish alive for the drive back to my house by car... " transporting live sport fish"

But a tournament bass angler can run 100 miles ... Catch his bag of bass... Run 100 miles back... And release them at the weigh in 100 miles from where they lived?

This doesn't make much sence to me...

You can do the same thing if you want on the body of water. You can cull, you don't have to be in a tournament.

Edited by Harrison

Also, Don't forget that the rule about transporting live fish was written long before "Live release" tournaments were in effect. As already stated, putting them back into the same lake...even if it is 100 miles away from where they were caught is no where near the same thing as transporting them away from the lake with the possibility that they are introduced into a different body of water.

Your not talking apples to apples here.

If you want to get into the ethics of tournament fishing... thats a different story.

The original post was regarding the rule of transporting live fish over land.

I get it... But I dont think this is apples to oranges...

Maybe "granny smith" to "royal gala"

The st.lawrence, rideau, and Ottawa rivers make a big triangle... They all connect...

So that being said it would be legal for me to stock the rideau river and all it's connecting lakes with smallmouth, walleye, and pike from the

st.lawrence as long as I transport them by boat???

I need to show this to my wife...just another good reason to sell everything and live on a houseboat!! rolleyes.gif

Seriously speaking, the law does make sense. By transporting fish 100 miles or 1000 miles by boat isn't anything the fish could not do naturally over time. By transporting them over land, the fish can easily be stocked into bodies of waters not natural to the species.

Dave

Edited by grimsbylander

Mike, I don't think you can compare transporting fish in a live well on a boat, to you transporting them with your car/truck.

Regardless of how many miles the bass boat guys run, they never leave the water.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

there's no real point in transporting live fish anyways.

"keeping it fresh" is actually false logic. whether it's in a live well or on a stringer you're actually compromising the flavour of the fish by stressing them. bleed them out, remove the gills, put them on ice and your fish will be both legal and fresh.

I disagree

while transporting the fish are stressed but stop and the fish in the livewell calm down real quick

no ,more stress then being caught and yanked out of your environment , someone holds you up for a photo and thrown back into the water

it only take minutes for a fish to forget it was stressed

Leave the fish in the live well untill you get off the water then kill him and throw him on ice if your worried about it going bad or something dure to a long drive take the intestines and gills out before the trip.

Sorry didn't read Dr.Salvelinus comment but do as he said and you will have no complaints.

Edited by Live2fish85

Totally agree with Dr. Sal ..... whack the fish as soon as you bring it into the boat, gut it (gills included) and get it on ice immediately. The result is much better than something that has been stressed out marinating in soupy-warm live well water full of fish feces and urine while you roll on down the highway.

there's no real point in transporting live fish anyways.

"keeping it fresh" is actually false logic. whether it's in a live well or on a stringer you're actually compromising the flavour of the fish by stressing them. bleed them out, remove the gills, put them on ice and your fish will be both legal and fresh.

Is this method the best way to bleed them out? Than would you throw them back in the livewell or just put them on ice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQDdSheKk4

Edited by scugog