Do i need a new battery?

NAW

I used to be able to easily get a weekend of use out of my electric trolling motor. It's a 36lb with a big deep cycle battery.

This year, I can only get about half a day. The usage I can get between charges has been drastically reduced.

I charged it up last fall before I put it away. Stored in my basement, on a peace of wood. The battery is 3 years old, and stored the same way each winter. It's been fine every spring, except this year.

I don't know if my battery is messes up, or if my motor needs some work. I thought maybe my motor is drawing to much from the battery?

The fluid is over the top of the plates in the battery. And it takes a charge no problem. It just doesn't last.

My guess is it's the battery....storing a battery during winter is best if charged at least once a month but even better if hooked up to a battery charger "maintainer" or even better if you have a on-board charging system in your boat...leave it plugged in all winter long....my boat is stored in my garage that is not connected or heated at all and I just leave it plugged in over the winter.

Time to go battery shopping.... :wallbash:

Bob

Billy Bob is correct, the best way is to keep the battery on a charger during storage.A lead acid

battery will discharge 5-7% per month, where as AGM and gel batteries will only discharge 1-2% The only way to be sure is to load test, if it drops below 10volts under load it's toast.Storing a battery on bare concrete will NOT damage a battery, that's not going to happen with the materials used in todays batteries. John

The liquid level is good.

How long do you guys get out of your deep cycles batteries?

I've been running mine a few times a month, for 2.5 years.

Is it unreasonable that it's dead already?

Too many variables Nick... boat pounding puts plates together... storage uncharged sulphates them and shorts the lower edge of the plates together. Whip the thing out of there and take it over to a local garage (or pull the boat there to do so)... they'll load test if for you. Offer them $5 or $10 up front to do so and you won't feel guilty when you find you have a bad battery and source it elsewhere (if the garage doesn't have what you need).

My trolling motor batteries are on their 5th season now. I used them on full speed on the weekend to troll for Muskie silently at 4.2mph for at least 3hours. Lower speeds for about 9 hours I guess! They still show "Good" when I push the test button on my Motorguide.

Edited by irishfield

I can't recall a time that I asked myself if I needed new batteries that I didn't. I usually get from 4 to 5 years out of mine. To extend battery life check the water levels often and charge after every use.

Well, I took it to Canadian Tire on my lunch for a load test. The results said it was an "unstable" battery. The guy said it's pooched.

So my next question:

Does brand matter with batteries?

This one was a Nautilus. I didn't realize it, but it was built May 07, so it was pushing 4.5 years old. I guess I got more use out of it then I thought..

I know BPS carries some, so does Walmart.

Neither BPS, Walmart, Cdn tire, Costco "make" their own batteries. They are made by a handful of different companies and stick on whatever labels for the retailer that buys them. The same battery that Costco sells for $10 may be sold at BPS for $50 dollars, it's all in the labelling and perception. Some brands are better than others by virtue of how they are constructed, amount and quality of lead and other materials inside. Don't get sucked in by the hype of spiral wound batteries such as Optima, when you check the actual numbers of battery capacity (usable amps) per dollar, they fall short by a country mile. For the asking price, you can buy two regular lead acid batteries (starting or DC).

Go to your local jobber and buy an Interstate Deep Cycle.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/DealerLocator/Default.aspx

Looks like "Battery Battery" is the only dealer in North Bay! 245 Mattawa Street

Thanks.. I live in Barrie though.

I called Total battery, and they sell the interstate battery, just with a different name.. I guess they're all made by Johnson controls, acording to the guy I talked to. Their batteries are suposedly the exact same as the interstate, they just have the Total Battery name on them. (as Fisherman said above)

Their largest battery was $111.11. $30 buck cheaper then crappy tire.

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks.. I live in Barrie though.

I called Total battery, and they sell the interstate battery, just with a different name.. I guess they're all made by Johnson controls, acording to the guy I talked to. Their batteries are suposedly the exact same as the interstate, they just have the Total Battery name on them. (as Fisherman said above)

Their largest battery was $111.11. $30 buck cheaper then crappy tire.

There ya go, now say thank you to that fine zoomie from Penetang, :rofl2: , Total Battery in Barrie is a very good shop.

Hahaha..

I would have.. But there was already a battery in the charger, with a phone number written on a post-it. It momentarily baffeled the employee on what to do. Took him a minute to get his :asshat: together.!!

Glen has the right idea... but I'm not sure on Deep Cycles. We are now using AGM's in airplanes (and i have them in my lund for starters) and you can park an airplane in October and just fire it up in June. Not more than 0.1 volt lost over winter storage. You're gonna pay for them though... the ones in my lund were $300 each from West Marine.

Stupid question to start the day...

What about lithium ion ?? (like battery powered drills and such)?

Quick charge long life compact lite wieght?

Are they out there?

Looking to buy a good long life battery...

Edited by saltydawg