Is Gulp Alive worth the price?

crossover

Depends on who u ask. Some guys swear by them, I personally haven't had much success using it. I like the small minnows for perch and crappie, and know lots of guys who use them for bass on a dropshot, and leeches for walleye.

"Fishing is all confidence" is a statement we hear all the time.

I would like to remind you that the fish do not give half a crap if you are confident or not. Let's put away this silly statement. The only thing confidence does is make you feel better using a particular lure as your not getting bit. Fishing is complicated. Sometimes it's simple.

As for the gulp, some people swear by it and some people swear at it. I do a little of both.

I don't find it to be very durable. Sometimes 1 fish and it's torn apart and time for a new one. So you can go through it rather quickly.

It's worked for me, but for bass I've done just aa well with other plastics.

Edited by timmeh

Gotta say I agree with the confidence statement.

I killed bass with it last year. By far my best year ever. It gave me confidence to go and try new things when I actually don't have a lot of chances on the water. I think it was actually the "new things" that were responsible for the quantity and quality but I sure will invest again this year - actually just bought a small pack of 4" minnows for some walleye tomorrow.

They go bad fast in temp changes so I think I'll stick to the smaller packs.

Edited by radar

Gulp works for me. Is it that much better than other comparable plastics, well, I have my doubts. I like the Gulp minnows, Fry and various panfish baits. Some of the products have no equivalent that I have come across as well.

So, if you are looking for some type of artificial minnow, the Gulp does work for a lot of anglers based on what I have read on the internet. However, I am sure there are other products that work just as well and cost less.

Gulp works as good as live bait in some cases... Jig head and a worm/ gulp worm... You'll get the same number of hits... But I found they want hold on as long as the real thing...

I keep a tub of 3 inch gulp minnows in my boat for tipping worm harnesses... This works better than live bait cause you get just as many hits but you don't have to re-bait as often ... And tge fish have a hard time tearing the 3 inch gulp...

And last season I landed 2 10lb walleye jigging with a 4inch gulp twister tail...

My 2 cents

I don't like to buy the tubs, just because they're so damn expensive.

Crappies love the 2.5" minnows though. Can never go wrong with them!

Keep in mind that no matter what, IT'S NOT LIVE BAIT. You will need to impart action to it.

Edited by EC1

It's worth the cost once you find out what works for what species on what lake, lol.

I usually just buy the packaged version though, and put in a resealable zip lock to prevent leakage.

I love the 3" and 5" shad in a few colours for walleye. The leeches and crawlers work well also.

The Chart. 5"minnows work well for me on 3/8 oz. jigs for bass and pike.

A few of the products haven't produced too well for me, but you gotta give em a chance to find out.

Now, if only they made the 3" minnows with a paddle tail, those would be absolute killer on Rainy river.