Springtime in NW Ontario

trapshooter

Have a day off the water here and thought I'd get up a quick report from the spring fishing so far.

After the ice goes out here I have one thing on my mind.... lake trout! Followed the ice off the lake and were catching fish right away.

P5060826.JPG

P5060829.JPG

Caught that fish trolling a 4" white tube jig. Learned that trick from the guy in the background of the picture, an old-time local guide. Believe it or not, a tube jig trolls straight as an arrow and mimics a swimming smelt / ciscoe. 1oz with 100' out was getting down 15'.

To change things up we did some bushwhacking into a stocked splake lake. The action was fast with fish on my first 2 casts. I was chuckin' a in-line spinner and the other guys were getting them on slip-bobbers.

P5090843.JPG

P5090833.JPG

Back on the lake trout hunt....

P5110846.JPG

P5200852.JPG

P5240875.JPG

and a real fatty for my buddy Brandon

P5240070.JPG

Walleye fishing has been great since the season opened on May 21st. The spawn was over by then and the fish were scattered. Been getting them pitching jigs to shore in 2 feet of water and as deep as 20-feet vertical jigging. They are on the move, transitioning along mainland shorelines between spawning areas and their summer haunts.

P5210864.JPG

P5210862.JPG

P5260879.JPG

P5220866.JPG

Looking ahead, muskie opener (June 18th) can't come soon enough!! Got a nice package in the mail from MikeP with some of his handlebarz dbl 10's. They look awesome and I can't wait to start chuckin' some big baits! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by BenBeattie

Didn't you wear the BPS 100MPH suit before? How does it compare?

I still have the BPS Bibs (and Simms coat) and they are a good combo. The Frabill suit has more features and better hood/cuffs, pockets, pliers holder etc. It seems bullet proof so far and I've got it pretty wet already.

Dang that Laker fishing sure does make me drool its has been way to long since I had one of them on a line.

Excellent report as always Ben.

Glad the package got there before the strike

We will be out chasing the toothy critters tomorrow.

Thanks gang! With walleye season going strong and muskie just around the corner I think my days of chasing big lakers on Minnitaki are over until fall. Was a lot of fun while it lasted though. They are definitely a lot of fun, esp those big ones. There's another lake nearby where we jig in the summer 50-80 FOW but the fish run a lot smaller. It's easy to catch 20-30 a day but most are 2-7lbs.

Heading up lac seul again tomorrow after an absolute blow-out/cold/wet day today. We'll see how the fish are biting post-front. :dunno: