tick season

outllaw

Oh Geeze Ya!!!! Every year! I use a collar called Preventic on my dogs, available from your veterinarian. So far the only thing I have found that helps deter the little buggers! Still find a few but not nearly as many smile.gif The only downfall is that if you have cats that interact or share space with your dog, you can't use them.

Oh.... and don't forget to check 'yourself' naked!!! LOL asshat.gif

They're supposed to be really bad down here this year. Buddy of mine was out for mushrooms. Ended up at the Dr. Office to have one removed from his backside. (No - I didn't ask how he got one there). whistling.gif

Oh Man !!!! Thats nasty stuffblink.gif I havent seen myasshat.gif In yearsblush.gif . I better get myself a flea and tick collar too.

Many have died from Lyme Disease, so it is a serious issue for many. Don't take it lightly when dealing with ticks. Gabe Magnotta (Magnotta Wines) was one of those that lost the battle a while back to this serious disease .

Thanks for the heads up. I have never even seen a tick, so I'll be keeping an eye out in my neighbourhood as we do have foxes and coyotes in our area.

Is there any other info you folks with experience with these little critters can pass along to a tick newby?

Thanks,

HH

Thanks for the heads up. I have never even seen a tick, so I'll be keeping an eye out in my neighbourhood as we do have foxes and coyotes in our area.

Is there any other info you folks with experience with these little critters can pass along to a tick newby?

Thanks,

HH

Have a look at your ankles and pant legs after walking through tall grass. Avoid tall grass.

North Shore of Lake Erie has a bunch of deer ticks. Go on the web and google it, You should be able to find where all the hotbeds are.

Nasty stuff. Horrible disease that gets misdiagnosed all the time. It is one of those diseases that doctors have trouble recognizing.

Funny, I've been getting my dog vaccinted for protection against Lymes but yet I can't get vaccinated. dunno.gif

Personally I have a few friends diagnosed with Lymes, not good!

One is a member here on OFC and I was thinking about him just the other night. Been a while since I heard from you Tambo.

Several years back I had one removed from my left shoulder blade, fully engorged, had to have been there for 3 days before it was discovered. For the record the the wound has never fully healed, nasty buggers!

Thanks,

HH

No kidding....the BEST offense is a good defense, you can spray your ankles/pant legs with bug repellant to try and deter them. But ALWAYS check yourself carefully after being out in the grass, even your own yard!!! If you find one remove it ASAP, google info on removing them. I have been dealing with this for about 10 yrs where I live....so far no BIG problems :)

the best thing u can do for your dog is get some revolution or advantage (ad advantix?). i think revolution is the better one, but both prevent some parasites, ticks, and fleas. give your dog a good rub and you'll usually feel any ticks.

ticks can be everywhere, not just where deer or yotes live.

do NOT yank them off if they have started to burrow. a couple matches or red hot steel kills em good...

Funny, I've been getting my dog vaccinted for protection against Lymes but yet I can't get vaccinated. dunno.gif

Personally I have a few friends diagnosed with Lymes, not good!

One is a member here on OFC and I was thinking about him just the other night. Been a while since I heard from you Tambo.

Several years back I had one removed from my left shoulder blade, fully engorged, had to have been there for 3 days before it was discovered. For the record the the wound has never fully healed, nasty buggers!

Its pretty bad when our pets get better healthcare than we do. :wallbash: Tambo passed back in March rest his soul :angel: Lyme is definately serious watchout for yourself!

Tambo passed back in March rest his soul angel.png

Well this is news to me and I'm truly saddened to hear of this.

I first met Tambo on the Notty many, many years ago. We had an enjoyable afternoon together and I found him to be a class act all the way! Young by my standards but a true gentleman. We kept in touch over the years hoping to replicate that first afternoon together so many years ago, alas it never came to be.

When he first told me he had been diagnosed with Lymes I offered to put him in touch with a good friends wife who hads/has been dealing with it, he accepted and eventually spent some time chatting with her on the phone about the illness and various treatments.

I will miss you Mike, you were far to young to leave us. angel.png