long weekend haliburton pickerel

fishboy

We were up to do the full-family celebration of my dad's 70th, but I managed to sneak out for a few hours last Sunday morning. Caught 3 average-sized pike; the best fish of the morning was this 27" pickerel caught in 22' on a jig/gulp minnow. Let her go to swim another day and hopefully be mama to many more.

pickerel may 2011 004a.JPG

pickerel may 2011 001.jpg

Edited by fishboy

Nice pickerel, my folks had a place in Haliburton for 30 years on a pickerel lake, never a lot but good size. BTW when did they let pike into Haliburton :wallbash: , 30 years and dozens of lakes and I never ever saw or heard of one of them slimy suckers :sarcasm:

Nice pickerel, my folks had a place in Haliburton for 30 years on a pickerel lake, never a lot but good size. BTW when did they let pike into Haliburton :wallbash: , 30 years and dozens of lakes and I never ever saw or heard of one of them slimy suckers :sarcasm:

not sure they let them in; rumour I heard was that some ponds on private property overflowed and they've spread

not sure they let them in; rumour I heard was that some ponds on private property overflowed and they've spread

Yep, they started in Kushog and are spreading through the system now. Every year, they seem to show up in a different lake on the Trent feeder system.

yeah, supposedly a private pond above Kushog introduced them (pike)into Kushog and they are well established now

Kushog is close to Boshkung, which leads to 12 Mile, Mountain, Horseshoe, Gull etc

the pike have invaded the Trent from the North now

it seems like just another example of how people mess up the original ecosystem

yeah, supposedly a private pond above Kushog introduced them (pike)into Kushog and they are well established now

Kushog is close to Boshkung, which leads to 12 Mile, Mountain, Horseshoe, Gull etc

the pike have invaded the Trent from the North now

it seems like just another example of how people mess up the original ecosystem

Yeah, know how that goes :wallbash: When dad bought the place in the late 60's, our lake, Loon or locally known as Dudmon, it was strictly a smallie/walleye lake. In ten years we started getting big rockies and the smallie fishery went downhill. Then the MNR stocked musky, they were few and far between but we didn't target them and they really didn't effect the other species. Then we started getting the odd largie in the bass mix. Finally the MNR introduced lake trout, they did well and were a welcome addition, saved hauling the boat to other lakes :clapping: