BBQ Question (Dumb question? )

dsn

With the BBQ season approaching and seeing CT might have some portable BBQ units on sale approaching, I was thinking going propane with a portable BBQ unit.

I used to mess with the old charcoal briquettes and go to a local park and use thet BBQ set up they have.

Nasty as they are...

Bird dropping etc. whistling.gif

I would clean them ahead of time of course.

But with the TEK PORTABLE PORPANE BBQ unit going for $29.99 this coming Friday.... I said why not. The original price is $49.99 I can also use this unit on the balcony which is nice. No dangerous charcoal fumes.thumbsup_anim.gif

My question is....with the 1 lb propane canisters... how long would they last roughly? Estimation.

I guess it all depends on how high you turn on the burners

and how often I would BBQ.

And How much I food I would BBQ at a giving time.

Example... lets say 2-3 boxes of burgers per season. 8 burgers per box..For now.

blink.gif Yeah might be a dumb question but I'm wondering how long do these canisters last?

I also read you can't recycle them. So Sad....... landfill ?

Thanks

Karper

Edited by karper

You can buy an adaptor hose to connect a 20lb tank to this BBQ or any appliance using a 1LB tank.Any Camping store, or even CTC sell them.

Depending what you are cooking, a 1LB tank should last you 2-3 uses.

Getting slightly off topic, Mercman, it was my understanding that you could not attach a 20 lb tank to one of those little Coleman BearCat catalytic heaters that normally use the 1 lb tanks. I have one that we use in the dining tent when it's cold and have been told that the pressure differential between the 1 lb tanks and the 20 lb'ers can cause a surge in the heater the unit could seriouy overheat. Can you confirm if you've ever heard that?

You can buy an adaptor hose to connect a 20lb tank to this BBQ or any appliance using a 1LB tank.Any Camping store, or even CTC sell them.

Depending what you are cooking, a 1LB tank should last you 2-3 uses.

Oh ok thanks Mercmen it gives me some idea.

And yes I also read that a 20lb tank can be attached to this unit easily with a hose. Its posted on the CTC reveiws of this item.

Thanks again.

You buy yourself 2 of those 1 lb tanks and you will never run out of propane on those BBQ's. Generally speaking, we can cook 12 - 20 steaks over the summer medium rare on 2 one lb bottles.

Cheers, Ron...

Getting slightly off topic, Mercman, it was my understanding that you could not attach a 20 lb tank to one of those little Coleman BearCat catalytic heaters that normally use the 1 lb tanks. I have one that we use in the dining tent when it's cold and have been told that the pressure differential between the 1 lb tanks and the 20 lb'ers can cause a surge in the heater the unit could seriouy overheat. Can you confirm if you've ever heard that?

Not sure about the catalytic heater,but i have used this adaptor hose on coleman propane stoves, and coleman propane lanterns without problems.

The pressure in a 1 lb cylinder is sposed to me close or the same as any other propane cylinder. If not, the LP orifices would not work correctly.

Propane is what is called a LP gas (low Pressure) The pressure is controlled by the regulator.BBQs have the regulator on the supply hose, coleman camp equipment and portable BBQs have the regulator built into them.

I have one of those little ctc bbqs. I used it yesterday and tonight. I ran out propane on the big bbq.

Anyway, I cooked 6 big burgers on it yesterday and 6 chicken breasts on it today. It works well but cooks way better in the middle of the bbq than on the edges.

PS It takes a few minutes to put it together but it works well to my surprise.

hth

the pressure in a 20lb tanks should be the same as the pressure in a 1lb tank

they are when I refill them

yup, they should be anywhere from 100-200 PSI.Depending on temperature. Large or small makes no Diff. Its the requlator that reduces that pressure so that the appliance can burn it safely.

On a small BBQ unit the 1lb tank should last about 6 hrs.

But the first rule of thumb when using 1lb tanks is have a BACK UP.!!!

Always carry a second tank with you.

If you decide to get a 20lb tank dont buy the coleman adapter. Go to the BBQ section of CT an you will find them at half the price of coleman.

I would sudjest getting the 10ft hose only because I like to keep the tank away from the BBQ.

As for the heaters I believe that the regulaters built into them are not designed for use with20lb tanks simplly because we have had problems with several of those units while ice fishing.

BBQs never had a problem with 20lb tanks and I have used several diffrent types.

On a small BBQ unit the 1lb tank should last about 6 hrs.

But the first rule of thumb when using 1lb tanks is have a BACK UP.!!!

Always carry a second tank with you.

If you decide to get a 20lb tank dont buy the coleman adapter. Go to the BBQ section of CT an you will find them at half the price of coleman.

I would sudjest getting the 10ft hose only because I like to keep the tank away from the BBQ.

As for the heaters I believe that the regulaters built into them are not designed for use with20lb tanks simplly because we have had problems with several of those units while ice fishing.

BBQs never had a problem with 20lb tanks and I have used several diffrent types.

I know this was beaten to death once before...but does anybody have any leads on the 5lb refillable tanks? I used to have one...lent it out...don't know where it is!? I loved that little tank for camping and such!

Another thing I was wondering how do you dispose the 1lb canisters? Will CT take them back after they are emptied?

I read they are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly. When I asked 2 of the employees at CT before they said just toss them out.w00t.gif

Thanks

karper

You buy yourself 2 of those 1 lb tanks and you will never run out of propane on those BBQ's. Generally speaking, we can cook 12 - 20 steaks over the summer medium rare on 2 one lb bottles.

Cheers, Ron...

Thats thats a great help. I can acctually picture that.thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks

karper.

I have one of those little ctc bbqs. I used it yesterday and tonight. I ran out propane on the big bbq.

Anyway, I cooked 6 big burgers on it yesterday and 6 chicken breasts on it today. It works well but cooks way better in the middle of the bbq than on the edges.

PS It takes a few minutes to put it together but it works well to my surprise.

hth

You're making hungry.

Thanks for info. But do you know who dispose the canisters? Will CT take them back emptied?

karper

Another thing I was wondering how do you dispose the 1lb canisters? Will CT take them back after they are emptied?

I read they are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly. When I asked 2 of the employees at CT before they said just toss them out.w00t.gif

Thanks

karper

Any Petro Canada station will take them off your hands...and probably a hundred other places too.