Lakair tackle tips

Jer

Having never fished the West Arm, nor Nipissing at all except for winter, what would the seasoned vets of the get-together recommend for the area in mid-June?

I've got 5 or 6 rods to bring of various weights, lengths and actions, but spending 90% of my time on the Tri-Lakes, I don't know if I got the right tackle in my box. I guess pike and pickerel will be the targetted species. I don't use leaders very often except when targetting muskie, should I get some light leaders to save some baits from the toothy little pike?

Any suggestions are welcome

If you're going to be there when bass is open make sure you have bass tackle with you as there are some very good fish in the area. My 2 biggest bass ever were caught not more than 100 yds from the dock.

My biggest musky ever (all 53 1/2" of her) was caught trolling within a mile or so of there.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

For walleye: Lots of various jig heads, grubs, worm harnesses, deep water cranks, and the proper sinkers/weights/bottom bouncers. You should be ok with leaders, although if the walleye are picky, then tie directly to tackle. Drifting or verticle would work well.

edit: As for pike and bass, others would know better than me.

Edited by Rod Caster

If you're going to be there when bass is open make sure you have bass tackle with you as there are some very good fish in the area. My 2 biggest bass ever were caught not more than 100 yds from the dock.

My biggest musky ever (all 53 1/2" of her) was caught trolling within a mile or so of there.

The G2G is a week before bass, I've got some bucktails to throw for musky (or big pike), don't have a heavy enough rod for the the big musky baits, trolling is for when you're old. :whistling:

Good to here some of your biggest fish have come from the area.

It's probably more dangerous now that the water's up to full level. (rocks are now hiding just under instead of showing!)

Got that right. Marked quite a few new prop busters last year - even in areas we zoomed right through before. Know of a couple folks last year that got some new dings on their props.

For pike, we typically use spinner-baits with a twister tail trailer. Cranks and such would be good too. For me, I hope the big girls are hungry this year. Would be nice to turn some of the followers into biters.

But, I'm just looking to catch up with great friends, make some new ones, and just enjoy being there.

Edited by Rich Clemens

For the walleye white, pink, and orange jigs tipped with worms have produced for me. Set your trolling motor to the lowest speed setting that will move the boat and drag/jig your offering. Keep it moving is the key. I usually do better in the evening than in the morning so if your chasing pike/walleye I would go for pike in the morning and the eyes in the evening. Bring bug jackets because the Canadian bug spray don't work unless you get the 100% deet stuff from the States. Hope this helps.

The West Arm muskies are very partial to black & orange Jer, both bucktails & spinnerbaits, and use the biggest ones you can.

You got that right!!!!

My big girl came on a 3oz tandem spinnerbait black with orange baits.

I retired it after that fish. ;)