attn: Rodbuilders

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey guys!

As some of you know, I've been building rods this winter and have now completed 6 projects... it's great fun!

Recently a friend bought an mhx rod kit for me to build for him. The kit came with a pre-designed handle kit including arbor, cork, and reel seat. last night i pulled them out of the bag and the pieces don't seem to match up in that the rear grip seems far too large for the reel seat. my friend emailed them about it and they returned an email stating that this was "normal"...

wronghandlekit.jpg

As you can see the outside diameter of the reel seat is much smaller than the rear grip, so much so that it's even small that the small tab of cork that the reel seat typically fits on the outside of... I need backup that I'm not missing someething before I lose my mind... There has been a problem with 5/6 orders from mudhole whether it be missing pieces or backorders so needless to say, this will be my last mudhole order.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

:D

I doubt Mudhole is giving you the runaround.

Many times those preformed cork arbors need to be sanded to fit.

5 minutes of sanding and you'll have a perfect and proper fit.

I don't have a lathe to start sanding the cork tenon down unfortunately and it really is quite a bit smaller... the inside diameter of the reel seat is only 17.0 mm while the outside diameter of the tenon is 23.0 mm. That's a lot of sanding with no lathe!

I realize this very well could be my inexperience but being that the rod is for a friend I don't want to put the wrong piece on if there has been an error.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Allow me to pass along my indepth rod building experience here... have yah tried duct tape! :whistling:

HH

no but i was close to taking a hammer to it a few minutes ago!

That doesn't seen like a big problem. Just cut that little piece off and sand it flush with the face of the rear grip. I assume that you are using some sort of filler under the reel seat anyway. When I build my handles from 1/2 inch cork the rear and for grip are fitted flush with the real seat. nothing has got to go inside the reel seat.

muddler

I don't have a lathe to start sanding the cork tenon down unfortunately and it really is quite a bit smaller... the inside diameter of the reel seat is only 17.0 mm while the outside diameter of the tenon is 23.0 mm. That's a lot of sanding with no lathe!

I realize this very well could be my inexperience but being that the rod is for a friend I don't want to put the wrong piece on if there has been an error.

You don't need a lathe. :)

Hvy grit sandpaper will take care of that quite fast.

Rip a strip off and wrap it around the cork and start turning.

Really, it's not a big deal.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it is a big deal if they sent the wrong cork, which i believe they did. if you could see it in person you'd see how much larger the rear grip is than the fore grip and the reel seat. even with the tenon sanded the transition between cork and reel seat is HUGE! i wish i had a better picture.

I've done a lot of rod handle work with nothing more than an 18" to 24" section of threaded rod chucked in a drill clamped to a support and the far end of the rod supported, just build up a couple of bushings on the rod with masking tape for a no slip friction fit and go at it with a sanding block. I've also found an women's emery board worked well for something fine like reducing the diameter of that insert.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as mentioned, i`m also concerned with the OD of the cork handle in comparison to the OD of the reel seat and foregrip. it`s significantly larger and seems like it would be better suited on a muskie rod or something... i dunno... mudhole`s on the case though.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

apparently the grips with the double tenon are for casting grips. i knew it wasn`t right!!! ye of little faith!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

That doesn't seen like a big problem. Just cut that little piece off and sand it flush with the face of the rear grip. I assume that you are using some sort of filler under the reel seat anyway. When I build my handles from 1/2 inch cork the rear and for grip are fitted flush with the real seat. nothing has got to go inside the reel seat.

muddler

Muddler is correct - no cork needs to be inside the reel seat. You support the reel seat with graphite arbors or masking tape - likely 3 or 4 with space in between for epoxy to run into. Just cut it and butt it up to the reel seat:)

Now if the O.D. is too big then that is not cool. Try to take it to your local tackle shop and swap it for a thinner piece.

I love Mudhole - have never had issues thankfully:)

Landry

Edited by landry

it is a big deal if they sent the wrong cork, which i believe they did. if you could see it in person you'd see how much larger the rear grip is than the fore grip and the reel seat. even with the tenon sanded the transition between cork and reel seat is HUGE! i wish i had a better picture.

It is not a big deal. As Solo said take a piece of 50 grit and hand sand it down to fit or just sand the tennon completely off and don't worry about it. Not really a big issue at all. You can also round off the outside of the shoulder for a better transition if you like. Start with 50 grit and finish down to 300.

It may be possible that they shipped either too large a diameter cork (1 1/8" as opposed to 1"). :dunno: :dunno:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as mentioned above, the rear grip they sent is for heavy casting rod applications and doesn`t match the spinning reel seat and foregrip.

i`m glad i trusted my instincts in this case and didn`t start sawing and sanding... :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it's a casting rod handle and it's 2.5mm larger in OD than it's supposed to be so yes, it's a big deal.

you guys are too much! :asshat:

if you paid for a something and were sent something else, i'm sure you feel the same way as my friend, and if you were a rookie rod builder like you wouldn't want to start hacking up what's supposed to be a complete rod handle kit, especially on somebody elses stick.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Doc....I see your point...you want what you order and paid for but I believe they are just trying to solve the problem at hand.

I have built about a dozen rods years ago...cheap now to purchase a good graphite rod so I quit making them years ago....but back then I always purchased loose corks...never already made handles...this way you would shape them into any thing you desired...

I made my own lathe out of a drill placed in a vise which held a pencil that had masking tape on it to fit snuggly into the butt end of the rod blank....then a couple feet away on my work bench I had a cardboard box with a hole in it for the other end of the rod to ride in...BUT MAKE SURE YOU PUT MASKING TAPE ON THE ROD BLANK THAT RIDES ON THE CARDBOARD TO PREVENT BURNING THE ROD FINISH...This work GREAT and only took a few minutes to shape a handle all the way down from loose cork blanks (that were glued together with Elmers) to any custom handle I wanted to make.

Good Luck on the rod making venture,

Bob

I am not a craftsman rod builder(have made my fair share of ice rods though),but do deal with every day today problem. I dont always get what I want/ordered,sometimes cuz I gave the wrong info. A true craftsman makes it work. This is JMO.

You have a right to be annoyed as u were shipped the wrong cork piece for sure.

Problem is - you are likely stuck with it unless they agree to send u a new one for free.

I would just swap it at your local store - Kingsway Tackle in Guelph would gladly do that for you - I am sure.

DO NOT hand sand it - that will go badly.

Using a drill will work but then you will have to fill the holes/re-sand and end up spending lots of time due to their screw up - AND why should you????

I hear ya

Call them back and tell them the O.D to prove you are correct.

Landry

As solo mentioned they did not send you the wrong cork, they do not make pre-formed cork arbours for each reel seat that they carry, its an easy fix with minimal sanding, be creative and think before you sand

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

As solo mentioned they did not send you the wrong cork, they do not make pre-formed cork arbours for each reel seat that they carry,

actually, they do. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/CRB-Handle-Kits_2

everything has been resolved and mudhole will be shipping out the proper O.D./single tenon SPINNING rod rear grip.

It appears someone has packaged the grips in the kit incorrectly. The

casting grips and spinning grips are different. Spinning has only one tenon

for the butt cap and casting has two tenons. One that goes inside the

casting seat and one that the butt caps mounts on. Who is the customer, so

that I can send another grip that is correct.

Bob McKamey

Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc

400 Kane Ct.

Oviedo, FL 32765

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus