Spinning Chrome in Serenity

I got out this morning to fish steelhead on a Lake Ontario tributary and enjoy a peaceful day in the beautiful weather. I didn't expect much, just wanted to enjoy a day out casting spinners on my Rapala F2 ultralight and hoped to get a few bites. It was a bit cool in the morning, and I took my time getting there. This day was to be a lazy enjoyable day in serenity. No rushing, just a peaceful time out in a normally hectic life. I started fishing about an hour and a half after sunrise, and it didn't even bother me (it normally does lol).

Within 5 minutes of casting a brown trout coloured Mepps Aglia 3, I had a violent hit from a beautiful steelhead. The fish went absolutely nuts and peeled drag like crazy making many runs, going airborne about 10 times, and then more reel peel :thumbsup_anim: It took about 10 minutes to land as it was so full of energy, but I got it to the bank, unhooked and released her. This chromer already made my day. But that was just the start :D

I got a smaller one shortly after in the same pool, and almost as spunky. I enjoyed action on that spinner only a short time, as the sun grew stronger, the bite slowed. I was about to switch up to another fav spinner, but I thought I would try a few things I rarely try for steelhead, small cranks, floaters, jerk baits, countdowns etc. After more than an hour casting all kinds of lures from top to bottom without any action, I had to try my favourite Mepps Thunderbug spinner in green and silver.

I had about 6 steelhead swipe at the Thunderbug spinner in the next 20 minutes :lol: I decided to leave my confidence spinner on the rest of the day, and I'm glad I did. I fished several miles of river with various lures, but when I moved back to the same spots with the green and silver spinner, I got bites. Violent hits, reel peel and nobody in sight but a beaver, a blue heron, other birds and wildlife :thumbsup_anim: This was just what the doctor ordered. The warming sun peaked between the trees, birds chirped happily in the spring air, and the peaceful river made it's own music with nature. As a bonus, I got about a dozen ballistic steelies to the bank, lost a few and had multiple swipes and misses. I absolutely loved every minute of this trip. it is my favourite trip this year by a long shot, and just may be tough to beat.

I used to hook well over 50 fish a day back in the 80's and early 90's in pools surrounded by guys. I would take the day I had today over those big number days any time. I feel like a very lucky guy to have this type of experience in our province. It felt as if I was far up north in the middle of nowhere at times, and I kept thinking about the hussle and bussle in the city suurounding the serenity of this urban river I fished. I heard no cars, no trucks, no trains, no voices, just nature and steelhead erupting the otherwise peaceful meandering river. It's funny how most people have no idea what is in their own backyard.

The steelies are still around and active, try out an ultralight and spinners for an awesome experience you will not forget anytime soon :D

Enjoy the photos.

TribChrome_05_2011_01.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_02.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_03.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_05.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_06.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_07.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_08.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_09.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_10.jpg

TribChrome_05_2011_11.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

Wow, another great report! :Gonefishing:

I always wondered about those spinners. Now i am sure they work fine and where to use them.

Much valuable fishing info can be gleaned from your photos.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing it!