Quick Dual Battery Wiring Question

MCTFisher9120

Hey, so hooking up 2 deep cycle batteries to my Minn Kota trandsom mount. I had 2 in the boat last year and just hooked it up to one then the other once the other was dead. Is this how to do it? What kind of wire should I use to hook them up to the terminals and what battery does the trolling motor clips go to if it matters?

Thanks guys...getting everything prepared and ready for summer, can't wait!

MTBF

If it matter's it's a 12v 30lb. 2 seems like alot for a 12' boat but it works for me

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Just an FYI as far as I know it when you charge them you have to be careful.

If the batteries are both new, and equal capacity its usually safe to charge them in parralel circuits, if they are different, or one is older than the other you should charge them seperatley. Otherwise you can end up overcharging one of them possibly leading to damage or explosion etc....

Just an FYI as far as I know it when you charge them you have to be careful.

If the batteries are both new, and equal capacity its usually safe to charge them in parralel circuits, if they are different, or one is older than the other you should charge them seperatley. Otherwise you can end up overcharging one of them possibly leading to damage or explosion etc....

I won't charge them together, not sure about gas motors and alternators in them but I'm finding a used one ranging from a 6hp-15hp 2 stroke. Maybe next year I'll get a little on board charger and will learn more on the in boat charging but for now I'll do them separately.

The 2008 Battery says 650 Marine Cranking Amps/130min reserve capacity

The 2010 Battery(same make and model) says 625 Marine Cranking Amps/125min reserve capacity.

Not sure why they are different, both are the same size, the older one has a material strap while the new battery has a hard plastic handle.

And fishnsled I like the look of that wire, I'll investigate them soon!

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Your original posted diagram, Mike, would be a great way to get the Magic Smoke out of that trolling motor!!

LOL, glad somebody said something. The image belongs to google but it was the best example I could find....dam uncle said "ya that will work" i gave him a good yelling at when I found out it would of blew it to pieces haha :)

don't know if it has been said but batteries in parallel are only as strong as the weakest battery

which means if one battery has less power then the other hooked together they will only charge to the strength of the weakest one

so in most cases you are better off disconnecting the battery you run down from trolling and just connect to the second battery

the math says that will give the longest run time

Hey, so hooking up 2 deep cycle batteries to my Minn Kota trandsom mount. I had 2 in the boat last year and just hooked it up to one then the other once the other was dead. Is this how to do it? What kind of wire should I use to hook them up to the terminals and what battery does the trolling motor clips go to if it matters?

Thanks guys...getting everything prepared and ready for summer, can't wait!

MTBF

If it matter's it's a 12v 30lb. 2 seems like alot for a 12' boat but it works for me

Thats a 24 volt set up, for a 12 vlt 2 battery set up. pos to pos, neg to neg. 10 g wire and a 30 amp resetuble fuse should suffice.

Edited by vinnimon