big bluegill...add your pics

ch312

caught in the brantford area about 5 years ago. i was just reviewing some old pics and figured i'd post it here for the 2nd time for anyone that's joined since it's original post.

post some pics of your big gills :thumbsup_anim:

bluegill.jpg

bluegill1.jpg

Rice Lake is full of big gills.

9 inch pumkinseed and a 10 inch bluegill.

If these fish grew to 10lbs they would rip your arms off.

Handful.jpg

I love that first picture in this thread, looks like the fish swam into a wall. Tank gill.

Edited by Michael Brown

caught in the brantford area about 5 years ago. i was just reviewing some old pics and figured i'd post it here for the 2nd time for anyone that's joined since it's original post.

post some pics of your big gills :thumbsup_anim:

bluegill.jpg

bluegill1.jpg

Where in Brantford? Mohawk lake?

Do you guys eat bluegill? Never tried them before are they similar to crappie?

A bit sweeter than crappie...just the right size for a hamburger bun, slice of cheese and some tarter sauce...

They look like a lot of fun to catch I am definitely going to have to try and locate some lakes around here with them. Just curious but what's the best way to distinguish them between larger sunfish? They look pretty dark but I have caught some fairly large pumpkinseed that I thought were bluegill at the time.

They look like a lot of fun to catch I am definitely going to have to try and locate some lakes around here with them. Just curious but what's the best way to distinguish them between larger sunfish? They look pretty dark but I have caught some fairly large pumpkinseed that I thought were bluegill at the time.

This is a good resource for sunfish ID, there has been a few besides Bluegill and Pumkinseed found in the Lake Erie drainage srea.

http://www.tnfish.org/FishIdentificationID_TWRA/TWRA_Sunfish_Identification_Key.htm

The quickest way to tell the bluegill and pumpkinseed apart is that the pumpkinseed has the red mark on the edge of the gill, bluegills do not have this red mark.