Clean up in Dads workshop

mercman

Well Mom has decided to sell the house and move into a retirement home. As the oldest son, i got the job of cleaning out Dads workshop. I knew it would be a daunting task.It hasn't been touched since he passed 18 years ago.

It was like a time capsule.Things exactly as he left them.Hand written plans for some duck decoys he had always wanted to make, even some of the materials he had purchased to do this.

Mom said i could take anything i wanted, so i loaded up his hand tools and various other belongings.

I found these 2 things that i thought some of you would like to see.

the first is and old Luxor Pezon Michel spinning reel, made in France in the 1940's The thing still works as smoothly as the day it was made.

IMGP1291.jpg

IMGP1292.jpg

IMGP1293.jpg

Also a hand made icefishing rod that my grandfather used to use when my Dad was a kid

IMGP1294.jpg

I will most likely load the reel up with new mono and use it this sumer a couple of times.

Paul

Cool stuff. I can not help but to think that it may have been a moving experience perusing all of the old man's tools and stuff. A man's shop is a major part of his personality. Must have been an interesting day.

The reel looks really neat.

I lost my Dad 24 years ago today he was 87 :angel: ...

All of the trinkets and treasures he left behind are now mine...

I hold each and every item dearly.. even Artie my Antelope.. Hopefully my kids will want to keep them as do I.

Great finds Paul!! I especially like the "little jigger"

Randy

:canadian:

Two great items to remember your dad but personally I wouldn't put either one of them back into service...they have served there time as your "dads" and now deserve to be retired a memo to him.

A small custom glass case would proudly display that spinning reel on your desk while the ice fishing rod could be hung on the wall behind you. I'm sure it will make a fine conversation piece. This way you enjoy them almost everyday instead of just when you're fishing.

Bob

Two great items to remember your dad but personally I wouldn't put either one of them back into service...they have served there time as your "dads" and now deserve to be retired a memo to him.

A small custom glass case would proudly display that spinning reel on your desk while the ice fishing rod could be hung on the wall behind you. I'm sure it will make a fine conversation piece. This way you enjoy them almost everyday instead of just when you're fishing.

Bob

Excellent idea Bob.Thats exactly what i will do.

Thanks Bud.

Good idea Bob but it should go out for a few last runs. No better way to retire the reel than putting a few more Walleye under its belt. Could certainly add to the conversation piece. What a great way to get the first fish in the new boat with the old man's reel.

Treasure it.

My mother gave me my father's fishing equipment a couple of years ago, Penn reel. mitchel 300, mitchel 304? I forget the # right now, trout bag, his big steel fishing box and poles. I'm using one of the poles as he never used it, an old Shakespere made in Orillia. I needed some hooks the other day and went hunting. Can't use them. All in original packages wih price tags such as, Colegiate Sports, Can. Tire, Towers (anyone remember Towers?) Woolworth's etc. Classic store names. And a bunch of old lures.

I am going to photograph the box just as it sits opened up and post it some day.

Edited by pikehunter

Towers, yes bought my first Rapala there in the early 60's, as a kid saving up allowance money. My fav store of the 70's was the " Outdoor Stores " think it was bought out about 1980 by Collegiate and they got rid of the hunting stuff and the fishing went downhill. There was one at the QEW and Dixie south side and then one in Hamilton in an old Loblaws on the corner of Parkdale and Queenston. Another source of tackle in the 60's was Cole's Book Stores, at least the one at the Pen Centre in St. Kitts had a very good fishing tackle dept. At the same time Herzog's Mens Wear in St Kitts had a well stocked hunting and fishing dept in the basement.

Edited by dave524

Towers, yes bought my first Rapala there in the early 60's, as a kid saving up allowance money. My fav store of the 70's was the " Outdoor Stores " think it was bought out about 1980 by Collegiate and they got rid of the hunting stuff and the fishing went downhill. There was one at the QEW and Dixie south side and then one in Hamilton in an old Loblaws on the corner of Parkdale and Queenston. Another source of tackle in the 60's was Cole's Book Stores, at least the one at the Pen Centre in St. Kitts had a very good fishing tackle dept. At the same time Herzog's Mens Wear in St Kitts had a well stocked hunting and fishing dept in the basement.

I see some of us are gettin up therewhistling.gifclapping.gif

Got to love Towers.they sold just about everything.

I see some of us are gettin up there

Guess we are :blush: And my knees are telling me that consistently now.

Must have been quite some time since Zellers bought Towers and converted the name. Wasn't Towers known as Bonn something in Quebec?

Let us know if you give the old reel a try. Would be a great trip if you caught a nice picker-eye with it...once season opens that is :good: