Need help!

danbouck

I need to get the cottage all ready for the year and there are a couple things that I have never done and need some help on.

First - I need to prime the water pump when I turn the water on. I am assuming that I pour water down the outlet pipe and just switch it on, making sure it always has water until it starts pumping. Am I completely wrong :dunno: I've never even looked at it before but I can figure most things out.

Second - We need to clean the chimney. I wanted to strap the kids to a rope and hang them down there but it didn't go over so well :lol: I am curious if those cleaning logs actually work or what my options are.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Should add--remove stove pipe at bottom---tape garbage bag around bottom

Drive brush down from top---look down chimney 1st before bagging it to see how clean it is.

If your really, really unsure maybe get a contractor----if you don't put your piping back together right---and cause fire or damage---insurance may or may not cover you.

either way be careful

Current insurance rules require a clean and inspection, on a regular basis, by certified professionals. Else your insurance for the property is null and void as pertains to fire. I got into a nasty fight with an insurer some years back over that point, and lost.

The amount of creosote build up depends on how your chimney is vented...the straighter the runs the better...creosote tends to build up near turns and where the chimney gets colder....and of course the type and quality of wood you burn....

On my wood burning stove I have a straight run up and out the roof...with this simple design I collect almost no creosote whatsoever.

WoodBurningStove.jpg

So what I am saying is look at turns in the vent and also near the top of the chimney where it's the coldest as that is where the creosote will be found....you should be able to remove the upper side of fire brick to access that fire place insert...that will provide a good view of the vent depending on where your first turn is...it is a VERY DIRTY job so have clean up supplies at your side, including a vacuum. However you really need to get to the top of that chimney and remove and inspect the cover so you can look directly down the vent....again depending on the wood burn't you may not find much creosote...

Bottom line this is a easy job IF you can access the system from the bottom and top.

Good Luck,

Bob

Thanks Everyone, It runs straight up and only kiln dried hardwood has been burned in it so I don't expect there to be much creosote.

If that's the case you probably wouldn't be cleaning much if any creosote out of the chimney....I have gone 3-4 years without cleaning out mine and even then almost nothing in it... a good straight run and good wood makes all the difference in the world....now go catch a fish...:)

Bob

Current insurance rules require a clean and inspection, on a regular basis, by certified professionals. Else your insurance for the property is null and void as pertains to fire. I got into a nasty fight with an insurer some years back over that point, and lost.

I hope they are better trained than home inspectors or its a waste of money

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

not sure of your setup but i put a small marine bilge pump on my priming port to make things easier.. not a bad idea if you're bored and don't mind tinkering with stuff.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

3 fireplaces.. 16 years... they still take my insurance premiums.

They'll keep taking your money. It's when you file the claim that they point out the clause in extra fine print. The onus is on the homeowner to have proof of compliance, aka a receipt.

I don't imagine that getting your chimney sweeper licence requires a 5 year university degree. Probably an afternoon course. It might be worth getting your own "ticket" and doing it yourself. You could probably make a few bucks on the side too. I looked into getting my WETT (Wood Energy Technical Training) certificate a couple of years ago which would allow me to install and inspect wood burning appliance installations, which should be far more technical that a sweepers licence (lol... sweepers licence. I love that) and it was only a couple days for that course.