Musky Topwater Line Choice

MSBruno

straight braid, wire or heavy mono?

Braid for all Muskie fishing, 80lb for casting, 100 lb for trolling, powerpro is my choice.

150lb fluorocarbon leaders for all baits except topwater walk the dog or glide baits, then I use 12" single strand wire

Edited by muskymatt

LEADERS

i use florocarbon leaders for everything nowadays...even live bait...

it doesnt seem to effect the action of the topwater lures... but for that application i will use lighter snaps and swivels to help in any way possible...

mono might be good tho cause it floats... but i really trust the florocarbon's abrasion resistance and visability in the water...

strait braid...never... thats when a 50 incher will inhale your bait and you go home steaming

:wallbash:

MAIN LINE

braid for casting... 60-100lb

50lb mono for trolling

Edited by Musky Mike

It's true that fluorocarbon wants to sink, but with the size of Musky top waters, I think Lew has the right formula. A foot or less of heavy fluoro isn't going to sink a Sledge.

I also like 80 pound braid for casting. I have used PP and Tuf-Line up to 135 pounds, but feel that it's over kill. Eighty pound won't break if you throw a tangle with a heavy bait, so it's strong enough for me. The bonus is that it casts better than the heavier stuff.

For trolling, it's up to you. If you have a dedicated rod/reel and want to run extra heavy line for trolling, go for it!

I use 80lb Tuff Line XP, or 80lb BPS Braid for my main line, for topwaters I use 130lb Triline leader line which is more flexible and more supple than Floro, every bit as tough as floro, and you get tens times the amount of line for a quarter of the price, I also use that leader material for trolling leaders as well,

Braid for all Muskie fishing, 80lb for casting, 100 lb for trolling, powerpro is my choice.

150lb fluorocarbon leaders for all baits except topwater walk the dog or glide baits, then I use 12" single strand wire

Read my mind. Top-water and jerkbaits I prefer single strand. For trolling, long 4-5' fluoro leader 150lb.