Walleye Tackle Recommandation

young_one

Long story short, I have this trip to Michigan this weekend. My family and I will have the opportunity to shop at Cabela’s in Dundee. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this store, and I’m willing to spend a couple bills to increase my walleye tackle selection. I realize there are many unique and effective lures that us Canadians can only get from the States.

* walleye trolling lures? Shallow and deep?

- Manna’s (I remember ppl talking abt it on this board) Which model and colour?

- Taidancer?

- Recommendations?

- Spring, Summer or Fall lures?

Haha, basically recommend anything that works ;) I’ll consider them and I’ll always report their effectiveness when I do get a chance to use them.

I’m really excited for this trip, at the same time I’m counting down the days for the Walleye opener on BOQ.

Some nice eaters I caught last Spring in Deseronto area. (Orange-Mepps Blk Fury)

DSC01708.JPG

jigs. 1/8th to 3/8th size in various colours. Pink, white, chart/orange are among my fav's. Jigs probably take more walleye in Ontario year in and year out then any other presentation. Tip them with 3" twister tails, white is good, or a live minnow... or both.

Other then that I like cliff's advice with the suspending minnow/crank baits.

Also depends where your fishing them, different strokes for different lakes, ya know?

Have fun!

Over the years I have collected quite an assortment of walleye tackle, several tackle boxes full to be exact. Last year I decided enough was enough and I decided to go back to basics. I took one of my smaller boxes and put in it a selection of some of my favorite lures. Instead of concentrating on trying to find out what they were hitting on I concentrated on presenting what I had available and learning where, when, and how to use it. I seriously think it improved my technique considerably because I easily caught as many fish as I have in previous years and most of the people I talked with had found the fishing tougher than pervious years.

My suggestion is if you are going shopping, buy a nice small tackle box, spend your money on a few more fishing trips!

jigs. 1/8th to 3/8th size in various colours. Pink, white, chart/orange are among my fav's. Jigs probably take more walleye in Ontario year in and year out then any other presentation. Tip them with 3" twister tails, white is good, or a live minnow... or both.

Other then that I like cliff's advice with the suspending minnow/crank baits.

Also depends where your fishing them, different strokes for different lakes, ya know?

Have fun!

Jigs are a great choice. A northwestern Ontario favorite for Walleye. They are very versatile, and cheap to boot. The Southern Ontario crowd seems to prefer crankbaits. I've caught plenty on both. Bottom line is, if they are biting and your presentation is in their zone, you'll catch them. If they're off, good luck. So I'd say that you pick up some tackle that works deep, some that works shallow, some that works fast, and some that works slow. That way you have all the bases covered. There is no such thing as a good all around Walleye bait or lure. It's all in the presentation.

well it looks like everyone has the basics covered,one other very important thing to consider is the type of rod or rods that you are nusing as well as line ,and that is very crucial you need a good quality rod for jigging with a real sensitive tip,for those real light bitters,as well as good line for walleyes usually 6lb,you can use fireline or a flourocarbon,for clear water,and trust me it DOES MATTER AND WILL INCREASE YOUR CHANCES....so it looks like you are ready to spend some bucks,at cabelas,so let us know how you made out and what you purchased ...good luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

For summer time trolling try a Pa's lure. It's like an Erie Derie but has a diving lip on it. Modify it by taking off the wire arm on the front & take off the hook. Put a snap swivel on the back & attach a 1 foot long crawler harness on it. It's a killer on open water walleye.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/paslures.shtml

For weed walleyes try the Rapala Minnow Rap.

Edited by Zib