motorized canoes

gil

Hi all,

I have a sportspal canoe with a 30lb thrust Minnkota on it! I am thinking of buying a 2hp outboard for when I don't need to be electric and can leave the heavy batterry at home! My question is ,will a 2 or 2.5 hp outboard move me along better than the electric. It will be about 60lbs. or so lighter without the battery!

Also I mount the electric on a motor mount off the side of the canoe. is this better or worse or no different than rear and center as in a "square back" canoe?

Looking forward to hearing from all the knowledgable people here on OFC.

And...........BRING ON THE CRAPPIES!!! :Gonefishing:

I used a 1.5hp motor on my canoe shortly before it broke down. Have never tried with an electric though so I can't really give you a comparison.

Keep in mind though gas motors are heavier so you may not be that much lighter compared to an electric-rig. It also puts more stress on the motor mount.

You can possibly find a 40lb thrust?

I used a 1.5hp motor on my canoe shortly before it broke down. Have never tried with an electric though so I can't really give you a comparison.

Keep in mind though gas motors are heavier so you may not be that much lighter compared to an electric-rig. It also puts more stress on the motor mount.

You can possibly find a 40lb thrust?

As gil noted in his post a 2hp gas engine is FAR lighter than an electric plus deep cycle.

Gil to answer your questions yes, you'll go way faster with a 2hp gas outboard.

A side mounted motor is however not the greatest application for a gas outboard.

I've done it at times and it works but it's awkward and somewhat unstable.

A squareback or Y stern canoe is a MUCH better choice for a gas powered outboard.

I've been using a 16' flatback sportspal and 2hp Honda for a few years now and love it to death. Moves along at a good clip with 2 hvy guys and gear. Plus can run almost all day on one tank of gas.

The gas outboard, even a 4 stroke, is however much noisier. That's about the only drawback.

If you do buy a gas outboard I'd highly recommend an older 2 stroke in good shape.

They're not any noisier than my Honda, they're lighter and you don't have to worry about oil leaking all over the place when you're carrying them through the bush.

As gil noted in his post a 2hp gas engine is FAR lighter than an electric plus deep cycle.

Gil to answer your questions yes, you'll go way faster with a 2hp gas outboard.

A side mounted motor is however not the greatest application for a gas outboard.

I've done it at times and it works but it's awkward and somewhat unstable.

A squareback or Y stern canoe is a MUCH better choice for a gas powered outboard.

I've been using a 16' flatback sportspal and 2hp Honda for a few years now and love it to death. Moves along at a good clip with 2 hvy guys and gear. Plus can run almost all day on one tank of gas.

The gas outboard, even a 4 stroke, is however much noisier. That's about the only drawback.

If you do buy a gas outboard I'd highly recommend an older 2 stroke in good shape.

They're not any noisier than my Honda, they're lighter and you don't have to worry about oil leaking all over the place when you're carrying them through the bush.

solo,

can you elaborate on a side mount being unstable? I have no problem with the side mounted electric!

solo,

can you elaborate on a side mount being unstable? I have no problem with the side mounted electric!

Sure. A gas outboard is much heavier clamped onto a side bracket than an electric (the battery for the electric is in the canoe...obviously).

This unbalances the canoe and forces you to constantly compensate with your own weight.

A gas motor is also much faster than an electric and on a side bracket can be very dangerous at high speed. The boat is more difficult to steer and awkwardly unbalanced. Not a good combination. On an open lake in waves the motor can and will almost be submerged at times as well.

As I said I've used a side bracket and gas motor on a standard canoe many times in the past.

It's never been a comfortable experience for me and has always been nothing more than a means to an end. (Get my canoe and gear to the trailhead where I ditch the motor and begin a paddle/portage canoe trip).

I would never consider using a gas motor on a side bracket for everyday general use.

I think I remember something about the side bracket, the 2 horse and us almost swamping..

But I was up in the front having to much fun!!!

:)

Too much fun??

Your fingerprints are still embedded on my gunnels. :lol:

Nothing like riding out The Perfect Storm in a Langford Prospector.

My bad. You're right, I never used an electric motor with a canoe and I was actually thinking about my boat's cranking batt. My deep cycle battery IS heavy compared to the cranking batt. lol

I've run all sorts of motors on the side my canoe. If your canoe is stable, then there's no real issues with small gas motors as far as stability.

It all depends on what kind of canoe your running, and how stable it is. I've never been in a sports pal before, so I can't comment on stability. With a 2hp, any canoe will move along nicely.

On a side note...I have seen an intoxicated guy run a 6hp motor on the side of a sports pal. The side mount transom he made wasn't much more then a 2x4, and some clamps. Plained out really well. Untill the transom snapped in half, and the motor took off flying. The drunk guy didn't let go of the motor though. Ended up landing in the canoe ahead of him, prop spinning at WOT, foam flying.. Crazy.. Good thing he was alone in the canoe..

On a side note...I have seen an intoxicated guy run a 6hp motor on the side of a sports pal. The side mount transom he made wasn't much more then a 2x4, and some clamps. Plained out really well. Untill the transom snapped in half, and the motor took off flying. The drunk guy didn't let go of the motor though. Ended up landing in the canoe ahead of him, prop spinning at WOT, foam flying.. Crazy.. Good thing he was alone in the canoe..

That there sounds like a Bill Dance blooper!!! laugh.gif

I operated a 2 hp Johnson on a bracket on a fairly heavy cedar strip canoe. Few words of wisdom... these motors often do not have a gear shift so they start in gear... Don't start at WOT or when the motor is turned sideways, be pointed in the direction of travel before starting . To utilize reverse you simply spin the motor 180 degrees... again a very low throttle is advised, depending on the stability of the canoe maybe not even advisable at low throttle.

I've been using a 2hp Yamaha on my canoe with a side bracket for over 30 years. The point about stability is an important one as the motor does cause instability as the canoe wants to tip. We've been compensating by adding water bottles (two 4litre bottles) on the opposite side of the canoe - it helps but you still have to be careful. Especially, if you tip your motor up for drifting along a shoreline (I recommend u keep it down). I had the motor up one time, and pointed up to a tree branch where my partner had flung his spinnerbait & whosh, I flipped and was in the drink.

I've also used a squareback with the Yami, & found it much more stable but the tiller handle was too short & turning back to start the motor was a pain. So if you're using a motor on a squareback, limber up...

I'd rather motor with a squareback.

WR

I've been using a 2hp Yamaha on my canoe with a side bracket for over 30 years. The point about stability is an important one as the motor does cause instability as the canoe wants to tip. We've been compensating by adding water bottles (two 4litre bottles) on the opposite side of the canoe - it helps but you still have to be careful. Especially, if you tip your motor up for drifting along a shoreline (I recommend u keep it down). I had the motor up one time, and pointed up to a tree branch where my partner had flung his spinnerbait & whosh, I flipped and was in the drink.

I've also used a squareback with the Yami, & found it much more stable but the tiller handle was too short & turning back to start the motor was a pain. So if you're using a motor on a squareback, limber up...

I'd rather motor with a squareback.

WR

Very easy and lots of room to manouver with an actual flatback canoe. I'm guessing you used a y-stern.

Hi all,

I have a sportspal canoe with a 30lb thrust Minnkota on it! I am thinking of buying a 2hp outboard for when I don't need to be electric and can leave the heavy batterry at home! My question is ,will a 2 or 2.5 hp outboard move me along better than the electric. It will be about 60lbs. or so lighter without the battery!

Also I mount the electric on a motor mount off the side of the canoe. is this better or worse or no different than rear and center as in a "square back" canoe?

Looking forward to hearing from all the knowledgable people here on OFC.

And...........BRING ON THE CRAPPIES!!! :Gonefishing:

I had a little 2hp gas motor for my canoe. I had it mounted on a bracket off the side of the canoe. Made the one side a little tippy if you leaned too far to that side, other then that it worked great.

I have a 1974 4 hp Johnson Seahorse on the back of my 14' Sportspal and it really is a great combination. I used to have the larger gas can (from Canadian Tire) but have since downsized to half that size, for I found it took too long to go through gas. (Yeah I know...not fishing enough :))

Have never used a motor on a side mount configuration, but as far as stability, Sportspals are the most stable of canoes, so at least you have that in your favour.

I was actually considering an electric attached to the bow to creep along shorelines more quietly than the gas outboard, controlling it from the stern with the foot control. (I can't paddle the sportspal worth a heck, especially on my own)

With all the talk about sportspal canoes.. I thought I would mention. There's a guy in Barrie selling a square back sportspal. I stopped by yesterday to look at it. Needs a little work. Guy's asking $550. Seems like a decent price.

Guest LivingLegend

U can find a lighter battery and fire up a 55lb thrust motor. I have 30lb on my stealth 14 kayak with an optima dc battery which will be upgraded to a 55lb. i would stay away from them stinky gas motors, theres enough pollution in the waters.......Gonefishing.gif

U can find a lighter battery and fire up a 55lb thrust motor. I have 30lb on my stealth 14 kayak with an optima dc battery which will be upgraded to a 55lb. i would stay away from them stinky gas motors, theres enough pollution in the waters.......Gonefishing.gif

If you're just dropping the canoe into local waters and dinking around on day trips then I agree.

I use mine extensively for lengthy overnight back lake trips.

Using an electric and a battery is not feasable.

Edited by solopaddler