Earth Hour

mercman

ying and yang

left wing nuts are just as nutty as right wing nuts. Voodoo science rofl2.gif now there's a career path I should have considered.

:rofl2: yes but right wing nuts know they are nuts,left wing nuts just think everybody else is nuts! :tease:

Don`t take me to seriously boys and girls just havin a little fun,I luv all my birkenstock wearing,latte sipping,hybrid drivin,pinko brothers! :P

By the way "Earthday" was created in 1970 by julian kanig (volkwagen marketer) on april 22. April 22nd was his birthday. Birthday, earthday, brithday, earthday....

His original idea was good, but it has since beeen turned into a corporate cash grab. In Canada, "Earth Day" is a registered trademark coplete with marketing strategy, sanctioned product line, royalties, etc.. . If you use the name publicly you are billed for royalties. Again, you try and do good but end up being screwed. Been there, done it once, and never again.

His original idea was good, but it has since beeen turned into a corporate cash grab. In Canada, "Earth Day" is a registered trademark coplete with marketing strategy, sanctioned product line, royalties, etc.. . If you use the name publicly you are billed for royalties. Again, you try and do good but end up being screwed. Been there, done it once, and never again.

Please say it aint so,it can`t be just about the money!!! :sarcasm:

What ever you want to tell yourself Cram... here's just the very first story google brought up....

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/251232/Al_Gore_Purchases_Carbon_Credits_From_A_Company_He_Himself_Owns

He may have been an environmentalist earlier in life.. but he conceived a plan somewhere in his travels to pad his wallet. Especially interesting how things were set up prior to his global warming push...

my daughter shut off all the lights/tvs/computers and lit the candels. she then decided to make a tent using the dinning room chairs and blankets/ just like we all used to do as kidds.!!?

she then insisted that i join her in the tent and we talked about all the things that go through an 8yr olds mind .

it was trurely somthing i will never forget!

put all the politics aside. i would do it again 2moro.

conservation is the key to tomoros futer like it or not.

quicke point.

we all practice concervation while fishing??

1 more piont.

power can be generated in several ways.

even out of every plumbing stack in every house all over the world.!

we even have 0 resistance wire!

delorian starting to ring any bells?

personaly i just enjoy my kidds and hope that the tourch we pass on to them will burn bright!

saltyGonefishing.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

I guess most of you recently learned a bit more details on how a nuclear reactor works, so you realize that is quite complicated -if not impossible- to adjust the electricity output in just one hour, just because 1 million light bulbs have been turned off - that's probably less than 1% of the electricity that the reactor/powerplant produces usually.

For a gas or coal powered turbine, this is pretty much similar: one hour is nothing, even if we'll turn off all our appliances.

For hydro, it's useless: hydro is green; the water will flow down the river anyway...

So basically, turning off lights for just one hour has only a symbolic role - we're not gonna save the Planet. Not that way!

I didn't observe the Earth Hour. Didn't need to, and I'm saving enough electricity in the summer by not using my A/C too often -last year I totaled 8 days of use- and being "green" [once in a while] by riding my bicycle to work - once or twice a week. Not to mention that I'm not a big fan of Christmas lights...

Somehow, I imagine that during that hour the "smart guys" from the energy sector are just re-routing the power that is not used by the lightbulbs and sell it to some industry sector, so the pollution effect will be twofold: once the emissions for producing the electricity and once more for using that power in some industrial process, which more likely has a significant carbon footprint and possibly produces some byproducts bad for the environment. It's just common sense to assume that this is more likely to happen, since electricity cannot be stored efficiently; once is produced, it needs to be spent immediately.

Just my 2c.

All this "GREEN" bull is just goobley goo.... :rolleyes:

It's all about the "MONEY" period...

Want to save on power...how about not allowing the Gas Company (natural gas) and the Electric Company to have a minimum usage amount on our bills ? ? ? If you don't use the minimum you still have to pay X amount....what kind of incentive is that to not use power ? ? ? :whistling:

We had dinner with some friends by candlelight.

The kids thought it was pretty neat.

Dinner was at their house, so I made sure to turn everything off at home before leaving.

Also turned down the temp. on the furnace.

My hot water tank is always set as low as possible. (just warm enough for showers)

We don't turn on light outside unless we're expecting someone.

The kids kept leaving the 2nd floor hall light on when they go to bed.

Easy solution. I unscrewed the bulbs a couple of years ago and we haven't missed the extra lighting at all.

I guess most of you recently learned a bit more details on how a nuclear reactor works, so you realize that is quite complicated -if not impossible- to adjust the electricity output in just one hour, just because 1 million light bulbs have been turned off - that's probably less than 1% of the electricity that the reactor/powerplant produces usually.

For a gas or coal powered turbine, this is pretty much similar: one hour is nothing, even if we'll turn off all our appliances.

For hydro, it's useless: hydro is green; the water will flow down the river anyway...

So basically, turning off lights for just one hour has only a symbolic role - we're not gonna save the Planet. Not that way!

I didn't observe the Earth Hour. Didn't need to, and I'm saving enough electricity in the summer by not using my A/C too often -last year I totaled 8 days of use- and being "green" [once in a while] by riding my bicycle to work - once or twice a week. Not to mention that I'm not a big fan of Christmas lights...

Somehow, I imagine that during that hour the "smart guys" from the energy sector are just re-routing the power that is not used by the lightbulbs and sell it to some industry sector, so the pollution effect will be twofold: once the emissions for producing the electricity and once more for using that power in some industrial process, which more likely has a significant carbon footprint and possibly produces some byproducts bad for the environment. It's just common sense to assume that this is more likely to happen, since electricity cannot be stored efficiently; once is produced, it needs to be spent immediately.

Just my 2c.

Finally some voice of reason - good on you :worthy:

There is lots of dreamers in other responses (with good intentions)

but we need to be real and reasonable. the technology is simply not there

and follow advice that suggest you to save no matter how much it costs is crazy.

I don't think anyone believes 1 hr of savings accomplishes anything (or is even actually savings). Reality is the candles burning at my house probably consumed more power to make and ship to the store I bought it from than teh electricity saved at my house.

Its more symbolic than anything.

I don't think anyone believes 1 hr of savings accomplishes anything (or is even actually savings). Reality is the candles burning at my house probably consumed more power to make and ship to the store I bought it from than teh electricity saved at my house.

Its more symbolic than anything.

Most candles are made with petroleum as well...eewww, dirty candles.