Need some advise

GlennB

Last fall I purchased a 1999 Lund 16.5 Fisherman, the boat came powered with a 40 HP Mercury 2 stroke with a trolling plate (jury still out on the trolling plate). It also included a 30 LB cable drive trolling motor, although it does work it is a really a bit of a dinosaur.

I have been looking at the Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 45 LB unit, will this be enough to power the boat adequately keeping in mind that I have a fairly tight budget.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

glenn

The 30 lb thrust electric sounds way to small to me, I actually prefer cable steering, but would go bigger than 45 lb thrust. I had a 55 pound thrust on my old 16 1/2 foot boat and it was only 73 inches wide. Wider, higher sides catch more wind.

Im with Paul on this one. Cable all the way.

Is the 45 lb motor a 12 or 24? If its a 24 volt it should be adequate. I had a 55lb 24 volt on my 19 ft bass boat for years and it was fine. Eventually I replaced it with the 70 lb 24 thats on it now. I'm sure some will come on and tell you its not enough but if your on a budget it will do just fine on your rig.

I have used both cable and electric steer,the cable is way faster to turn and I find it easier to steer with because in windy situations the electric drive isn't fast enough to keep up with the direction changes brought on by the wind.

vance

I am a walleye guy and when I troll I put the kicker down turn it a touch to counter balance the thrust coming from the side of the boat and I put the bow mount in the water. Between using my main engine as a rudder and my bow mount for correctional thrusts I can troll any direction in any wind (with in reason of course). I find the electrical steer is more desirable for this. However when I am floating down the Niagara River fishing for Steelhead I can't help but to think that maybe cable steer would be quicker for adjusting to wind and water currents a little faster on the fly. For me overall it is electric steer all the way for my trolling applications. So I guess it is all how you plan on fishing. As mentioned above, most bass guys prefer the cable steer as well. I hope that helps man.

Cheers

Edited by Grimace

I have a 55# thrust Motor Guide on my 17' Starcraft aluminum. The unit is cable drive and barely enough power for my heavy boat. I will go with more power when I can afford it and my next trolling motor will be electric or digital steer. With the rolling waves on Nipissing it it really hard to stop the motor from swinging around while I am turning.

Depends what kind of wind your willing to deal with... I'm on lake st Francis and we get big wind with big waves and my 55 lb thrust on a 16 foot Lund gets pushed backwards like a toy in the ruff stuff... Wish I had bought a 80 lb...

If you fish small lakes and rivers... 55 should be ok

hmm. I have an 18' fiberglass boat with a sterndrive and I run a 55# 12v pd kota and It moves it fine. I can't complain. I have nothing to compare it to but I have not had any issues with it and I haven't ever thought that it wasn't strong enough. If ou can get the 55# rather than the 45# it might be better. ANything bigger than 55 and you need 24v.

Thanks everyone for the great advise. Since most of my fishing is on smaller lakes for eyes with the odd outing to the BOQ.

Since I only want to purchase this once the 55lb. unit seems to be the choice to make.

Now the fun begins to convince my wife that this a "must have item"

Again thanks everyone for your valued advise.

This site REALLY ROCKS !!!

cheers

glenn

Thanks everyone for the great advise. Since most of my fishing is on smaller lakes for eyes with the odd outing to the BOQ.

Since I only want to purchase this once the 55lb. unit seems to be the choice to make.

Now the fun begins to convince my wife that this a "must have item"

Again thanks everyone for your valued advise.

This site REALLY ROCKS !!!

cheers

glenn

I suggest you compare the Terrova and powerdrive side by side. The terrova steers and deploys 10x better than the powerdrive not to mention a much better pedal (similar to cable steer)

I suggest you compare the Terrova and powerdrive side by side. The terrova steers and deploys 10x better than the powerdrive not to mention a much better pedal (similar to cable steer)

Well let your wife buy a dog, and you get what you want. Good luck buddy.