A Weekend at Lake Joseph - Gondor Hall

Homer Is King

I hit Lake Joseph last weekend with a couple of buddies. The last time my buddies were up there they hammered the lakers. When I got the invite I figured it would be a great way to end the 2011 hard water season. I had never tried for lake trout and was hoping to ice my first one!

We rented a cottage on the north end of the lake (GondorHall.net). It was a really nice place. Clean and tidy and the rates won't break the bank. They cater to the ice fisherman with several specialized packages.

It was a warm gray day on Friday. Temps were in the +4 range and the pressure was about 101 Kpa with a constant moderate wind. There was still lots of ice (average of about 14" black ice with 4" white on top) and the shore lines were still solid. However there was some water sitting on the ice in spots and large open areas around any bubblers. By the end of the day the top of the ice was soft and slushy.

I got on the lake at mid afternoon on Friday. My buddies were already out and had one fish on the ice. They were fishing a flat in 40 FOW. It's an area that had produced for them on earlier trips. My buddy then ices another good eater as I'm setting up. The bite then slowed down. We marked a few fish and lost a couple light bits but couldn't get any more out of the hole that day. Not a bad start, a 22-1/4" and 18" on the ice.

P3180064.jpg

Nice fish Court R!

We headed out early Saturday morning. A high pressure cold front had rolled in. The temps were now -7, gentle wind, and the pressure was up to 103 Kpa. It was a clear beautiful day to be on the ice which had hardened up over night.

P3190077.jpg

We started at the same spot but quickly saw that there were no fish. We weren't even marking any! Clearly it was time to move. Having looked at a lake map we had a few backup locations planned so we packed up and started moving. We fished everything from 40 FOW to 140 FOW. We fished drop offs, points, shoals, and nothing! We tried minnows and plastics, jig heads, jiggin raps, clacking raps, and jiggin spoons, Big and small. We must have hiked over 5 km and drilled over 30 holes! Weren't even marking fish! It appears that the cold front had shut them down and sent them into hiding.

My dream of catching my first laker was quickly turning into a nightmare!

The 3 of us fished for 10 hours and only managed 2 small lakers. They were caught by casting swim baits into the open water around a boat house with a bubbler. A bit of an unorthodox method but it worked! It's not a recommended method either, a wee bit risky. My one buddy actually paid the price. He broke through! He got out safely, didn't lose any gear but his day was done early. He had to go back and get supper ready.

P3180059.jpg

Saturday night we had a great feed of fish sandwiches. Triple coated laker fillets, with a southwest mayo sauce and lettuce on a fresh bun. Awesome!

P3190107.jpg

Sunday morning saw more of the same, cold and high pressure. We hit the ice at day break (7 am).

P3200108.jpg

I only had about 1.5 hours before I had to leave so the pressure was on. I was the only one that still smelled like skunk! I set up my still line with a drop shot style minnow on a hook. I then hooked up my jigging line with a white jig head and a medium minnow. The transducer on my VEX had crapped out the day before so I was fishing "blind". I dropped the minnow down and started jigging, slow and gentle. I had never willed a fish to bite more in my life! And then I felt it, a gentle TAP - TAP. I set the hook, feel the weight and yell "FISH". After a short fight I ice my first Lake Trout.

P3200122.jpg

P3200116.jpg

17-3/4 inches, 1.6 lbs. Not a monster but still my first, a new PB, and the perfect skunk killer!

Shortly after that, I packed up and headed off the ice and began the long trek home. My buddies decide to try a new point after I left. I find out later that they nail 'em. 15 fish in 2 hours! D'oh!

All in all a great trip! One I plan to work into my yearly trips. Definitely worth repeating (more fish next time)!

Edited by Homer Is King

Nice Report Homer, We hit the north end on Saturday too!. That wind was a killer as I kind of dressed for a mild day. Had to set up the hut and stay out of the wind till after 1pm when it started to warm up. Our group did OK as we set up on a big - deep inside turn along the shore. It's were I got my 18# last year and we've had good days here as fish tend to move through all day. Spoon bit started great in 90 FOW, about 10-15 ft off the bottom and had 6 before 15 minutes had passed. First one was 19" and the rest were really small. Bite continued to be good on the spoon up high for another hour and then nothing. The screen went completely blank. Time to change up. Rigged up a small Bad Boy and tipped with a minnow and a small stinger hook. Dusted the bottom and kept banging for a minute or so, then lift up and slowly wave the jig. Trout would just hang onto the minnow. If I hadn't had 8lb firleine I don't think I would have felt them at all...

Finished the day with double digits and we had a much better size in the late afternoon. Two better ones later in the day.

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

typical trout for the day. That's a six inch hole

DSCF0121.jpg

I'll do that next time Brian. Was already really late and was thinking I was gonna catch it when I got home at 7pm. Said I'd be home by 4 or 5 at the latest

Homer, I'll be copying that measuring tube. Nicely done and simple to use

Nice report HIK! :worthy:

Made me laugh when you mentioned your buddy casting into an open bubbler pool cause the thought crossed my mind when i was up with a couple friends as well on saturday. The fact it actually worked.... :w00t: The wind was chilly but it was a nice day. I see more evidence of lakers in Joe bigger than 20" and i got one myself saturday. LOL

3lakejoe.jpg

I'll do that next time Brian. Was already really late and was thinking I was gonna catch it when I got home at 7pm. Said I'd be home by 4 or 5 at the latest

I meant on the way up. :rofl2:

Congrats to your first Laker! Now that you have had the opportunity, your quest for Lakers will not end here I'm sure. I was also fishing the north end this past weekend on the Saturday. We covered a large area, and moved around frequently, working all depths and structure from 110 fow to 45 fow as you did. We know the area well and always have great success both in the hard and soft water seasons. Saturday was a different day, you are right about that. We had, the camera and vex down, chummed, did the fish dance, waited ... nothing. After 10 hours, we packed it up. After reading your post, we should have gone on the Sunday instead! Note to self, fish the bubblers and tighten up belt on floater suit when bite is slow.

Note to self again, fish the opposite day you plan to fish

Great report! Your perseverance paid off! Next time, perhaps stick around a little longer to validate them fish tales! Hehe.

Thanks guys and WOW, those are some nice lakers! Thanks for the tips and inspiration. Next year....

Go for it. It works great. I got a 4" diameter 10 ft long sewer pipe from Home Depot for $14 and 4 end caps for $3 each. I cut the tubes to length, glue on the cap and then cut it in half, length wise, with my skill saw. I ended up with 4 - 3 footers, 2 - 2 footers, 2 - 16" long for pan fish with the kids. The stick on ruler is the most expensive part!

Edited by Homer Is King

Heh ... aint it the truth ... shoulda been here yesterday ... or tomorrow ... cant tell ya how many fish got caught on the 'just one more cast before we go" method :)

But seriously .. stay away from them bubblers ... it can all go terribly wrong really fast .. no joke

Nice report HIK! :worthy:

Made me laugh when you mentioned your buddy casting into an open bubbler pool cause the thought crossed my mind when i was up with a couple friends as well on saturday. The fact it actually worked.... :w00t: The wind was chilly but it was a nice day. I see more evidence of lakers in Joe bigger than 20" and i got one myself saturday. LOL

Hey wait a sec. I'm sure that we saw you out there. Was it your group that we walked past in the distance, and bee-lined to the tip of the shoal? Myself and my girlfriend were out there sitting on the blue buckets. Nice fish!

Hey wait a sec. I'm sure that we saw you out there. Was it your group that we walked past in the distance, and bee-lined to the tip of the shoal? Myself and my girlfriend were out there sitting on the blue buckets. Nice fish!

Nah don't think. We headed out of foots bay. The only people fishing near us were i think of eastern european origin.... and what do ya know we must have been sitting on the golden spot cause they kept getting closer and closer.... till we headed out a bit further.... <_< Would like to explore the north end of the lake sometime though...

Nah don't think. We headed out of foots bay. The only people fishing near us were i think of eastern european origin.... and what do ya know we must have been sitting on the golden spot cause they kept getting closer and closer.... till we headed out a bit further.... <_< Would like to explore the north end of the lake sometime though...

Ah, okay. We were up north more. We passed a group of three that looked very familiar to your shot. You are right about the gold rush. It definitely attracts some people in once the glory hole is discovered. The north end is great for both seasons.

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to say anything about this until it happened but I was invited on this fishing trip by Barry Pringle, host of Fish This. While there he filmed an episode of his show. I was lucky enough to make an appearance. Check it out!

http://fishthis.ca/episodes.html#

Scroll down to Episode 6 - Last Ice

Guest gbfisher

Excellent! Congrats to making it on the production

So, your favorite colour is pink, eh? Hehe

Some great coverage. Thanks for sharing the episode.

Lakes like that do not need coverage...... :wallbash::blahblah1::glare::rolleyes: