Looking for canoe cart

trevy727

My buddy and I go into algonquin every spring and it's a real tough trip. We've managed to cut our total travel time from a 18 hour day to a 15 hour day. That's 3.5 hour drive and 11.5 hours paddling and portaging. We have 1 portage that is 5 klms long and it's fairly smooth and flat. If we could do this in one trip, we could cut another 2 hours off our total time. Does anyone know where I can get a durable cart to pull a loaded canoe through the bush? Some where in the Toronto area? I've found a few places to order them (U.S) but would really like to go check them out rather than order on-line.

I do about 4 portage trips a year and a cart would help when I'm wife the wifey also. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wheels from a dolley cart with a plank of wood for the rear, and the same for the front except adding a pivot point for steering. Princess auto should have most of what you would need. They have many variaties of wheels to choose from. Hope that helps.

I believe Fendock out of Ottawa has a canoe cart that they sell through agents through out Canada &

will be at The Cottage Life Show at the end of March in Toronto & usually have a few for sale at the show

but not sure about pricing - Check out their web site.......

Building one has been an option but i'd prefer to buy one. I've looked through all the designs and pictures on the web and I just want to go some where, look at one, and buy it. I have a bunch of materials to build one last resort.

I think I know what lake you like from your trip description.

If you download movies, check out "Borealis", a great movie for Ontario canoe trippers, and what cart not to buy

There's no way you know what lake I go to. P.M me a let me know what you think. I'll tell you if you're right.

I think I know what lake you like from your trip description.

If you download movies, check out "Borealis", a great movie for Ontario canoe trippers, and what cart not to buy

There are a tonne of lakes that require this type of portage to get into, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know a 5km fairly flat and smooth portage. I am sure if he has an intimate knowledge of the park he could likely get it down to a few lakes.

The real question is the fishing worth it? They keep going back so it must be!

I would love to see a report when you get back. Its been a few years since I have done a spring fishing trip in Algonquin.

build one yourself. carry a spare tire and a pump.

Nope get non-pneumatic tires. Foam or solid rubber...talking to those old guys pulling the carts for a number of years they had found what didn't work the best.

They also rigged solid handles to come out in front of the canoe, so 2 people could pull standing up leaning into the bar.

Nope get non-pneumatic tires. Foam or solid rubber...talking to those old guys pulling the carts for a number of years they had found what didn't work the best.

They also rigged solid handles to come out in front of the canoe, so 2 people could pull standing up leaning into the bar.

I cut a piece of pvc pipe and tie it to the bow of the canoe making a yoke for two guys.

That's definitely the only way to do it.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have my handles rigged to the bow rickshaw style.

airless tires? those are kind of hard to find in junk piles!

:P

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

If its a 5km or a 5.7km :whistling: portage, just look at all the broken and busted up carts left in the bush along the portage route.....lol tell ya what not to buy or how not to build it ! :rofl2:

I own the unit Solopaddler recommended and can give it the thumbs up! well worth the money in the long run.

I too tackled this problem a few years ago. After looking on the internet for heavy duty canoe carts the selection was limited and the prices high. I found this guy in Ontario that was making these killer carts, 450 lbs capacity, except thay were going for $ 650.00 After thinking about the problem I decided to build my own. Get a couple of used 24" mountain bike frames, cut off everything ahead of the seat post off, weld the two together and bingo, you got yourself a killer canoe cart. I built mine with 20" frames and this thing can haul 550 lbs no problem and go anywhere. if I have time tomorrow I will dig mine out and post pics. You should be able to build it for less the $ 100.00 The beauty of this design is that the canoe will be at a comfortable height.