New Website Shows Dealer Cost Of Boats, Engines, Etc.

craigdritchie

A new, US-based website that publicizes the dealer invoice cost of boats, engines, RVs and powersports equipment went live this morning.

The website URL is www.seedealercost.com.

If you run through the site you can find specifications, standard features and both MSRP and invoice cost ... including for optional equipment and engine upgrades. Invoice cost is the actual amount the dealer pays, but does not include things like shipping, dealer prep, customs fees, taxes, licenses and such.

So far the website will only accept registration from US addresses, but I am told it will accept Canadian addresses shortly.

Needless to say, boat dealers and many of the manufacturers are not exactly thrilled about this. I'm not sure how useful it will wind up being, but it is an interesting idea.

Dealer cost is one thing BUT, there are dealer incentives that have to be considered, this will only give you a very rough idea of what dealers pay, it's usually much less. Things like buy 10 get one free are very common for dealers so 'dealer cost' is a relative term.

buddie just bought a boat a lund with a 50 merc ... for 20 grand . i found a place in toronto for 18 345 out the door with a 60 on it. called the dealer back he dropped it to 18500 but no bigger engine... 2 grand is 2 grand. the guy at first said they cant even match that price. but called back 15 min later and said they would do the deal but not a bigger motor

Interesting update - J&D Acquisitions, the company that owns Larson, SeaSwirl, Fincraft and Triumph boats, has apparently filed a lawsuit against this new website today, exactly one day after it went live. They're seeking a court injunction that would shut the website down.

Stay tuned!!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I just registered and was amazed at the stated dealer mark up's (I was on the Lund page)much higher than the auto industry. They have a pretty hefty copyright infringement statement to I thought better than to post the link here. Any one want any data for now (within reason) PM me.

Interesting update - J&D Acquisitions, the company that owns Larson, SeaSwirl, Fincraft and Triumph boats, has apparently filed a lawsuit against this new website today, exactly one day after it went live. They're seeking a court injunction that would shut the website down.

Stay tuned!!

And the UFC thought they had problems with the web. :sarcasm:

Im sure there will be more to follow them in the lawsuit.

Is there grounds to stand on? It,s not they are stealing the info,or are they?

Edited by Misfish

I just registered and was amazed at the stated dealer mark up's (I was on the Lund page)much higher than the auto industry. They have a pretty hefty copyright infringement statement to I thought better than to post the link here. Any one want any data for now (within reason) PM me.

Yeah, that's pretty surprising.

Their markup's are nearly double that of Crestliner's and Yamaha's. :rolleyes:

On a positive note, there's a lot of wiggle room to bargain with them and hammer out a decent price. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

And the UFC thought they had problems with the web. :sarcasm:

Im sure there will be more to follow them in the lawsuit.

Is there grounds to stand on? It,s not they are stealing the info,or are they?

Misfish - the big issue is with who leaked the pricing info to the website in the first place. Pricing info is considered to be confidential business information. When the company provides the pricing info to a dealer, or a sales rep, there is an expectation of confidentiality. If they pass the info along to a third party (like a website), then that's a breach of contract, and we're potentially talking jail time.

If the boat company gets an injunction against the website, they can find out where they got the info.

Misfish - the big issue is with who leaked the pricing info to the website in the first place. Pricing info is considered to be confidential business information. When the company provides the pricing info to a dealer, or a sales rep, there is an expectation of confidentiality. If they pass the info along to a third party (like a website), then that's a breach of contract, and we're potentially talking jail time.

If the boat company gets an injunction against the website, they can find out where they got the info.

Craig I am not sure that the lawsuit has merit. Unless they can prove someone shopped confidential information. There are sites in both US and Canada, Carcost Canada for example that has exactly the same info and more, even down to the manufacturers holdbacks and dealer incentives, financing perks etc............

Misfish - the big issue is with who leaked the pricing info to the website in the first place

I dont see the big deal here. Keeping them honest. Look what happen to the big 3. :oops: Im mean the 2,3 companys.Ford had no worries.

Edited by Misfish

Stay tuned!!

well, that sucks. i guess they don't want everyone to know how much markup there is on their boats and how badly they're scamming people?

someone should start a petition to hopefully help keep this site running...