Ever wonder what happens to a gut pile?

Daplumma

Merc.....down there I would expect them to be crows...maybe Art can chime in on that......up north where you are, there are more ravens, but down here we have more crows...

The birds especially the crows at first (more population of them then turkey vultures) has a huge advantage over ground predetors like the fox or coyotes.....we forget about the birds being predators....without snow and Joe's camera, everyone would of thought fox, coyote or other ground creatures ate all gut pile....nice work Joe.... :good:

Merc.....down there I would expect them to be crows...maybe Art can chime in on that......up north where you are, there are more ravens, but down here we have more crows...

Ravens and fishers beat everything else up here to the pile.Heck the ravens are sorrowing over head waiting for that first cut.

Thanks for sharing Joe.

gut piles dont explain the drastic decline of huntable wildlife in certian regions within north america.? the birds dont make the kill (in this case)...? (do you want to hunt prey you can eat or/ sell thier pelts?) dont forget the human race is based on hunting and gathering . we have now evolved to being able to manage the ballance beetween killing to preserve food. not killing to make a few bucks..?? get my point?

Edited by saltydawg

I think ravens and crows know what a gun shot means. I hunt in the burks falls area and once a gun goes BANG its only a matter of minutes until the ravens show up and circle the area.

you dont gett the piont! not looking for birds....

whistling.gif

i know it's late but can anyone explain to me what the heck saltydawg is talking about dunno.gif

SALTY HERE gut piles atract the animals we dont want! oppertunist vultures ..the topic here mainly refures to over population of coyotes and thier oppertunistic behaviour/not withstanding birds that eat gut piles! that simple!!

I agree that the ravens seem to show up right after a gun shot and hang around waiting until you leave the pile behind. The first one to show up seems to fly around calling his friends. This fall in nw ont I saw both ravens and bald eagles on the pile.

Salty leaving the gut pile in the woods is another way to not waste a part of an animal that we chose not to eat. The attraction of larger predators is not a problem here. The wildlife down here in the area has as the largest predator are foxes with few possums and raccoons once in a blue moon. The bird population is mainly Crows and turkey vultures with a few hawks mixed in. To leave the gut pile actually is a benefit it keeps the predators in the woods rather than out by the house/ barns were we raise chickens for the eggs. If we do get unwanted predators then they can be taken care of with traps or guns as needed because we have enough land that discharging a firearm is legal.

Bob thanks for the credit but it is actually Joe Daplumma my brother that took on this project.I am sure we will get more of these in the future as subject matter shows up.

Art

Exactly it's better to feed another life and help then to just waste and throw it out. And as another said he seen a bald eagle well if you care about birds the fact that your seeing bald eagles more now is great. I've seen a bunch on Lake Erie. I seen one down at my parents on Lake Erie take a baby duck out of the water and ate him on the point and left, then other birds came in and scavenged. Its the way of life.

Edited by Live2fish85