Is there such a thing?

d_paluch

I'm with BillM on this one. Hell, spending over $50 seems excessive (to me). I understand you get what you pay for but wow that's a lot of money!

But has anyone ever used the strikeforce? I mean, it's got amazing reviews...how bad could it be? (I know, I am stubborn!)

If you want a rod to last you forever Ugly Stik is your rod. If you want a rod to catch fish then I have to paraphrase Cudz "don't buy an Ugly Stik". I have 2 that I have owned for years and ever since I have added better rods they only collect dust. Spinning is definitely the way to go in that price range and BPS or Shimano would be my rod choice. Any Shimano rod I have broken, regardless of how, Shimano has replaced it without question (granted they were all Compre rods - not sure if same applies to Sojurn or Convergence) and I believe BPS has an excellent return policy for their rods although I have never personally tried. Regarding reels, a 2500 Shimano anything will serve you well. The reel trade in is coming up at BPS just before the Sportsman's show....do your homework and one place or the other should net you a deal ;-)

If you are doing a lot of shore fishing, bush trekking, etc... A durable rod is a must. For that type of fishing the UglyStick is the ticket. Sensitive rods snap real easy. I've broken a couple of rods over the years backpack fishing, but the UglyStick is still there.

Well, I have come to the conclusion that my backpack/shore fishing will be done with my trusty zebco combo. So now this new one will be used mainly while in my inflatable on smaller lakes and such.

There is a user here selling a brand new never opened shimano sienna 2500 for $35 and a carbomax rod for $20. Seems like a good deal to me, especially with all the praise the sienna has been getting. But a part of me still really wants to try my hand with a baitcaster, but don't want to waste my money on crap.

Back to my original post, does anyone know what the baitcasting combo on the front page of the spring classic is like? I can't seem to find a product number/model for it. And I just remembered that I have $100 in BPS giftcards. Hmmmm

Well, I have come to the conclusion that my backpack/shore fishing will be done with my trusty zebco combo. So now this new one will be used mainly while in my inflatable on smaller lakes and such.

There is a user here selling a brand new never opened shimano sienna 2500 for $35 and a carbomax rod for $20. Seems like a good deal to me, especially with all the praise the sienna has been getting. But a part of me still really wants to try my hand with a baitcaster, but don't want to waste my money on crap.

Back to my original post, does anyone know what the baitcasting combo on the front page of the spring classic is like? I can't seem to find a product number/model for it. And I just remembered that I have $100 in BPS giftcards. Hmmmm

If 50 bucks seems excessive just run over to crappy tire the next time they have a sale and pick up a 30 dollar combo and be done with it or you can try this combo!!!

pocket-fisherman.jpg

you either make the jump into a good set up or not? if i put any one of my rods in your hands you would be sold in seconds.!! there is nothing that compares to having somthing that siutes you as you feel it . just ask any bow hunter or gun owner its all about feel and comfort . 350 pales in compareson to 1400 for a decent bow . you get what you pay for .i personaly buy new . i know what i have and where its been and how it will work for me! you cant get that out of run of the mill generic brands. (hope this helps)

It's obvious you want a baitcaster, so go for it. The issues everyone has brought up are valid, but we also need to be realistic. Not everyone can afford the higher end gear. So, you can either live without it while you save up until you can afford it, buy something used or get something new that will make you happy in the meantime. Since you have gift cards it sounds like new is the way you're going to go.

That BPS combo on sale is probably at a good price - my guess it's even half price. It's not a regular stock item so you probably won't find it in their catalog. Will it last you 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? A huge musky might blow the drag apart on your first trip. Who knows. It's not like the reel is going to fall apart in your hands on the first cast. As long as it works and catches you fish until you can make that nice upgrade, again I say go for it.

Another vote for the Ugly Stick 2 piece 6 footer....and consider a 'spincast' reel(closed face)to get you started. Got the best quality AbuGarcia spincast reel available 10 years ago,($60) loaded 10 lb mono line, and had no trouble with either rod or reel. Presently, added new equipment so this combo is often lent to friends/kids, or ready in the car for a quick cast at a picnic stop.

There will be people who laugh at you for this combo....like the guy at the Ottawa River this summer as I headed out....who later got skunked, while I came back with a pail of pickeral.....

Another vote for the Ugly Stick 2 piece 6 footer....and consider a 'spincast' reel(closed face)to get you started. Got the best quality AbuGarcia spincast reel available 10 years ago,($60) loaded 10 lb mono line, and had no trouble with either rod or reel. Presently, added new equipment so this combo is often lent to friends/kids, or ready in the car for a quick cast at a picnic stop.

There will be people who laugh at you for this combo....like the guy at the Ottawa River this summer as I headed out....who later got skunked, while I came back with a pail of pickeral.....

Spincast are they still available?

lol at the spincast! To each his own right?

Going to go to BPS and check out the extreme tournament baitcast on special n see how it feels, just wish the flyer said more specs instead of just saying 10 ball bearing

You have you mind made up from the sounds of it so ask the BPS person what to get in that $ range. Just google "baitcasting tips and tricks" then.

lol at the spincast! To each his own right?

Going to go to BPS and check out the extreme tournament baitcast on special n see how it feels, just wish the flyer said more specs instead of just saying 10 ball bearing

Just be aware. My buddy has one of these setups. THe rod is good but I don't think the butt section is long enough but it is expandable. It also has the powerhump which I don't like.

THe reel is very hard to dial in properly. I have had experience with baitcasters for over 25 years and I have a difficult time with this setup. The guide on the reel that goes back and forth also broke after using it 5 times or so but BPS backed it no questions asked and gave him a new one.

I would go for a better reel. You can buy a carbonlite rod for like 69 bucks now until the 10th or march. I think you can even get a raincheck if they don't have them.

I would also go with a curado (with reel exchange it is 149) I know it is expensive but it is a legit setup. So minus your 100 gift certificate, it will run you around 100 bucks

I have GBW, youtube videos and all. Cant wait for march27 at bps, get t see mercer and spend my money!

hi, by all mean, come see Dave on 27th, but if you want to have the best selection on products, dont wait to the last day of the event to come to the store. The extreme combo on the front cover is new model, special purchase, not a regular in stock item, you won't be able to find information on line, you will have to check it out in the store. There are few other combos to choose which is under $100.