Shoot a coyote, win a prize!

splashhopper

Life may soon get easier for the Road Runner.

Ontario is considering holding a “contest” to get rid of wily coyotes in some areas where the animals have become increasingly aggressive.

A Progressive Conservative MPP is suggesting a province-wide coyote cull, but Natural Resources Minister Linda Jeffrey said mass hunts simply don’t work.

“Traditionally bounties and culls don’t work — they aren’t an effective form of population control,” Jeffrey said Thursday.

But, she is open to a variety of suggestions to help get rid of the animals including holding a contest. She didn’t specify the type of contest she is considering.

“I have no idea how it would work at this point,” she said. “It is early days yet.”

Jeffrey has spent the last three days at the Rural Ontario Municipal Association and Ontario Good Roads Association meeting talking with councilors who are having huge problems with the predators.

“So I’m considering, based on those discussions … some options to consider a form of contest that could be held in a controlled circumstance based on the advice they gave me,” Jeffrey said.

New Democratic Leader Andrea Horwath said a hunt with a prize at the end is not the way to go.

“I get a little bit concerned we are encouraging the trophy hunting of coyotes,” she said. “That is something I don’t think is really the right path.”

Another option is making it easier for municipal governments to employ trappers or contractor hunters under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act.

Last year, Grey, Bruce, Dufferin and Huron counties used the act to hire hunters or trappers to “harvest” 450 coyotes.

“There are people out there that do this for a living,” said Jeffrey. “They are on call 24 hours a day and deal with various animals.”

The coyote population has increased dramatically in most areas of southern Ontario in the last few years. Coyotes have been blamed for mauling dogs in the GTA and some fear the animals may harm a child.

“The kinds of predators they are dealing with now are a little more aggressive and bolder,” Jeffrey said.

No one knows how many coyotes there are in Ontario but based on observations there has been a threefold increase in many areas since 2004, said Brent Patterson, a ministry research scientist based at Peterborough’s Trent University.

“Coyote numbers, as wolf numbers, are dictated by the amount of food on the landscape,” he said. “The question is, what is that food? Coyotes have a diverse diet and can eat almost anything.”

Patterson said it is “very unlikely” contests will work in the long-term because of the amount of private land and green spaces that don’t allow hunting.

“Even if you went crazy and shot every possible animal on those areas where you can hunt there are enough areas where you can’t that those animals and their offspring’s would completely recolonize the surrounding areas within a year,” he said.

There are already trapping and culling contests in eastern Ontario but they are not sanctioned by the province, said PC MPP Bill Murdoch (Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound).

Murdoch read a statement in the Legislature last month pushing for an easier bounty system on the coyotes and a payment of $200 an animal.

“My main concern is someone’s life is going to get lost here,” he said.

“They are so bold now but at lot of it is that they are hungry. People are afraid they are going to snatch a kid or something.

“I don’t want to kill them all — let’s just get them back to a balance.”

Toronto Star

By Tanya Talaga Queen's Park Bureau

Had an attack here in Kitchener 2 weeks ago.....didn't make the national news because it was a dog that was attacked.

What was concerning is this attack was litterally 3 streets over, and its 100% urban landscape.

No feild, no path, or green belt.

This particular Coyote just wandered up the side walk through a residental neighborhood, and attempted to snatch

someones dog....from their FRONT porch at the bright and sunny hour of 9:30am.

Not more then 45 minutes earlier my Kids were standing there with a few others waiting for the school bus.

Just a wee bit concerning.

Truth is I can't speak for the Province, but here...in my neck of the woods I see and Hear coyotes every 2nd or 3rd night, and if I was looking...I'd bet I'd see them nightly. I'm not overly concerned with coyotes being some sort of MAJOR danger to people, but I can tell you I used to see Deer, and rabbits all the time out here As I am actualy right on the city limit...farm feilds across the street.

Over the past 3 years those numbers of Deer and rabit have litteraly disapeared and all we see now are Coyotes....

Hence why they are now comming into the city.

Food is short, and resident cats, dogs, and refuse make easy targets.

With the idea of increasing odds of serious attack, and the severe overpopulation its self....that is enough for me to

Comfortably condone the cull.

I just see to few reasons outside of the age old "right to life" argument as a con to the debate....but to me that is a dangerous path to travel for us fisherman/hunters.

I guess you could say I wouldn't be upset to see their numbers dwindle, nor would I be hopping mad if the cull is over turned.

But I also know the bounty they placed in Huron county has done some good work....it'll be interesting.

Edited by Cookslav

“There are people out there that do this for a living,” said Jeffrey. “They are on call 24 hours a day and deal with various animals.”

Toronto Star

By Tanya Talaga Queen's Park Bureau

I always laugh when politician thinks the best way to eliminate an animal problem it to spend taxpayers money and hire a "professional" rather then use hunters that would do it for free...errr not free, the hunters actually paid to hunt via hunting license fees. And the hunters are no better or worse then the "professionals" the politicians are so willing to hire....of course then the brother in-law doesn't make some easy money if hunters do it for free.

Bottom line if you have a severe coyote problem you need all the hunters AND trappers you can get.....a bounty is usually the best way to motivate hunters and good fur prices motivate trappers....something P3TA has tried to kill....

Right after they eat all the cats.

And deer and partridge and rabbits and anything else to throw off the balance of nature in that area....then you have to wait YEARS for the balance of nature to reestablish itself IF it can....many times it does not... :wallbash:

I always laugh when politician thinks the best way to eliminate an animal problem it to spend taxpayers money and hire a "professional" rather then use hunters that would do it for free...errr not free, the hunters actually paid to hunt via hunting license fees. And the hunters are no better or worse then the "professionals" the politicians are so willing to hire....of course then the brother in-law doesn't make some easy money if hunters do it for free.

Bottom line if you have a severe coyote problem you need all the hunters AND trappers you can get.....a bounty is usually the best way to motivate hunters and good fur prices motivate trappers....something P3TA has tried to kill....

This would be fine except that everybody in southern Ontario is scared of guns so they have to hire their killing out.

They are all against hunting so they go to the butcher store for meat. Kinda makes them not responsible since the animal was already dead.

If shooting em is worth a few bucks to some guess it will work out. We got a little dog...the dog also has a leash, we use the leash...Watching your pet while it's outside is smart too if these Coyote's are coming into the open area's...In some parts I guess there is no where left for them to go to. Any sighting's in or around Oshawa? I know it's bad in Toronto.

Good points, I don't hunt but it's not because I'm against it just never had a family member show me the sport. The group of hunters should get together, the news lately talks about reckless tax spending...this is a great way to save $$ and get more responsible hunters out there taking care of the problem...that is if a shootout is appropriate in this situation

If shooting em is worth a few bucks to some guess it will work out. We got a little dog...the dog also has a leash, we use the leash...Watching your pet while it's outside is smart too if these Coyote's are coming into the open area's...In some parts I guess there is no where left for them to go to. Any sighting's in or around Oshawa? I know it's bad in Toronto.

i see tons of them in the shwa.

i live down by the oshawa creek and hear them howling all the time. even seen them pop out of the woods and stare us down (while i was walking the dog) had to charge him to scare him away. they are in pretty thick and no longer fear humans. One evening in december there was one casually walking around lakeview park, and I use to see a scruffy looking one around the GM plant on Stevenson Rd.

i see tons of them in the shwa.

i live down by the oshawa creek and hear them howling all the time. even seen them pop out of the woods and stare us down (while i was walking the dog) had to charge him to scare him away. they are in pretty thick and no longer fear humans. One evening in december there was one casually walking around lakeview park, and I use to see a scruffy looking one around the GM plant on Stevenson Rd.

Guess I got to get out more, we are a little ways away from the Oshawa Creek so I guess we are not too far from them. Still haven't had a sighting myself but that's cause I'm not out walking the dog's this time of year...I'll have to get out there in the spring just myself and see what is around.

Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe people could trap them. Then they could make money selling the pelts. The pelts could be used to make some nice fur coats.

Too bad we couldn't return to the late 70's when a group of us hunted them for pelts, we got $50 to $70 a pelt and the going wage at the steel mills in Hamilton were I worked was $7/8 a hour, that was a days pay. Now those same jobs pay 4X as much and the worth of a pelt is actually lower now I believe :wallbash:

I almost hit a 'yote running across Black Creek Drive by Kodak 3 weeks back.

In our yard.. I see a few coyotes EVERY day. A couple Red Foxes and I also still see 50 turkeys and 5 deer.. EVERY day. It'll balance it self out, all by itself. If you're losing livestock... shoot the damn things, but otherwise let nature take it's cycle.

As for pelts... My father got fired from the clerk postion at the Lanark MNR in the late 70's... for mouthing off at the Christmas party about how many pelts where coming in the front door, collecting their $25.. going out the back door and being given back to the "cousin" to bring the same pelt in again the next day.. and the next. Maybe that was the start of the downfall of the MNR !!

Edited by irishfield

This would be fine except that everybody in southern Ontario is scared of guns so they have to hire their killing out.

They are all against hunting so they go to the butcher store for meat. Kinda makes them not responsible since the animal was already dead.

Once again you have told it EXACTLY how it is :asshat:

In our yard.. I see a few coyotes EVERY day. A couple Red Foxes and I also still see 50 turkeys and 5 deer.. EVERY day. It'll balance it self out, all by itself. If you're losing livestock... shoot the damn things, but otherwise let nature take it's cycle.

This sounds more like a Disney Movie then anywhere in the wild.... :D

The coyote population has exploded in different parts of North America and some areas are suffering the consequences of that. If your Natural Resources Minister is considering action there must be a severe coyote problem in some areas. Coyotes will consume the easiest prey first until that prey is no longer available. If the dog population in that area continues to rise then other prey is sought. Coyotes have dissipated deer populations by first targeting the weak deer and fawns. Ridding these predators in NOT easily achieved. Just because you have a Disney like appearance in your back yard doesn't mean it's like that 50/100/200 miles away. All wildlife agencies recognize that and manage their state/province accordingly. I commend your NRM for not waiting until it's too late like what usually happens with government agencies.

Bob

This sounds more like a Disney Movie then anywhere in the wild.... :D

Bob

If you doubt it Bob.. look at the Misfish thread I just put up. 4 does today... the last few weeks it's been 2 bucks and 4 does. Guess the boys was busy somewhere when Leah took todays pics!

I guess they don't come EVERY day... they never seem to be around when those raskley hunters are around! LOL

Todays big Tom.. (sorry about the screen on the window!)

As for the 'yotes, I figure if the numbers we have can't put a dent in the turkey population around here, they aren't that bad yet.

trukey3411b.jpg

turkey3411a.jpg

Edited by irishfield

If you doubt it Bob.. look at the Misfish thread I just put up. 4 does today... the last few weeks it's been 2 bucks and 4 does. Guess the boys was busy somewhere when Leah took todays pics!

I guess they don't come EVERY day... they never seem to be around when those raskley hunters are around! LOL

Todays big Tom.. (sorry about the screen on the window!)

As for the 'yotes, I figure if the numbers we have can't put a dent in the turkey population around here, they aren't that bad yet.

Oh no, it's not that I doubt your wildlife spotting's.....the point is the yote's right now have much easier targets if the deer and turkey population hasn't declined...but that could change over time....yotes are not know to feed off of health adult deer and turkeys are some of the smartest birds around...you may have a very health population of rodents as that's a huge part of their diet.

BTW how do you know they are bucks....usually by now all bucks have dropped their antlers... :dunno:

i lived at airport rd @89 north mono ont. i am in compleet favor of a coyoty hunt.(thier like rats in a garbege bin!) personaly watched the deer population decline over the past 4 years dramaticly . controlled hunt is the way to go. i personaly dont want a bunch of morrons firing thir guns in my back yard! i think tags should only be given to land owners where coyotys become threatening to livestock or the home owners/ie pets. in that region. i have been concerned enough to take my kids and large dog inside at nite because a cyoty pack was to close. THANKS TO MY DOG!! they need to be controld as crule as it sounds!! they mate with other dogs(yours and mine ) .but most importantly they are devestating the deer population that is heavely controled and regulated. PS .a coyoty den will consume 4 fawns per WEEK. unaceptable!

i lived at airport rd @89 north mono ont. i am in compleet favor of a coyoty hunt.(thier like rats in a garbege bin!) personaly watched the deer population decline over the past 4 years dramaticly . controlled hunt is the way to go. i personaly dont want a bunch of morrons firing thir guns in my back yard! i think tags should only be given to land owners where coyotys become threatening to livestock or the home owners/ie pets. in that region. i have been concerned enough to take my kids and large dog inside at nite because a cyoty pack was to close. THANKS TO MY DOG!! they need to be controld as crule as it sounds!! they mate with other dogs(yours and mine ) .but most importantly they are devestating the deer population that is heavely controled and regulated. PS .a coyoty den will consume 4 fawns per WEEK. unaceptable!

I would be very interested in where you obtained your facts, especially the last sentence.

Bob

i lived there .untill october of last year! saw courgers / and everything that goes on out their on a dayly basis. i miss it now only because im living in T.O on a temp basis . i will be going back! ill be the first in line for a cyoty tag!!! as for the 4 fawns i heard it from a local that i respect and trust. at the same time deer tags suddenly seem to be a waste of monney??? can you tell me why?

Edited by saltydawg