Passing e test NF

scugpg

I have an older car that I need to pass the e test and was wondering if using 94 octane is the best and cleanest gas to use. I'm going to run tb cleaner, change oil and plugs and air filter before going in but was wondering if certain gas or additives would help make sure she passes:) it probably will but want to try and make sure.

Many thanks.

I had to have my old van e-tested last fall, did a tune up, oil change, etc. It failed miserably. :(

Decided to try the often lauded Seafoam for the first time. Put in 30 litres of premium fuel into my near empty tank with a full can of Seafoam, ran the van up and down the local highway for a few days and then took it in for another e-test. It passed, my carbon emmisions fell over 50 points. thumbsup_anim.gif

1. Make sure you bring it to the e-test facility warmed up.

2. I was always told to give it a good beating as well. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, then drive it in low gear at say 4000 ish rpm.

3. Have also herd you can temporarily idiot the timing.

4. If all else fails, find a greacy mechanic :D.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I would just take it and get it tested. If it fails, it only costs you $15 for a retest and the test results will help you determine what needs to be done to get the car to pass. You mights as well before you spend money on it, unless you don't mind doing it for maint.

Well before you put 94 gas in, and any additives, find out what might be done mechanically to improve the emissions of the car - you may pass after putting all the additives in the car, but what about afterwards, when your car is contributing more carbon than the law states into the environment?? Do you like smog warnings?? How about the people that cannot go outside because of the smog, or worse, people that are physically effected by Carbon emissions and may become very sick?

Ya it's just one car, but it really is a collective group that can make a difference with regards to the environment...

Something to consider.

lovetofish has it right, just test it. ive tested THOUSANDS of cars and the vast majority pass...its ~9/10 cars that pass, fails are pretty uncommon really. any of the additives you buy like the guaranteed to pass stuff or seafoam need to be used properly or you'll fail almost certainly. read the bottle, they'll tell you to add it to a full tank AND DRIVE UNTIL EMPTY, then refill and test it. make sure the car is warmed up (the test includes a warmup of some sort) then test it. if it fails the retest is cheap and you can know whats wrong with it. also, any money you spend BEFORE the test cant be applied to the repair cost limit which is in effect to get you a conditional pass (as long as a credited driveclean facility does the repairs) if you have any other questions you can pm me, i may take a bit to answer though...im at work at the shop right now. if you're in the burlington area, we do tests all day, every half hr

ryan

I would just take it and get it tested. If it fails, it only costs you $15 for a retest and the test results will help you determine what needs to be done to get the car to pass. You mights as well before you spend money on it, unless you don't mind doing it for maint.

Hey guys thanks for the heads up. I already bought some oil and plugs etc so I might as well put it in prior to the test. Its passed every time before but want to make sure :)

I didn't know its only $15 to redo it.

All those are great tips. A couple more i would add is the additives try HEET. It works great. Changing the oil and filter will help out for sure. Drive it like you stole it before you bring it in. To get the Temps up on the Cat. If it passed in the pass it will pass this time unless you are noticing a huge loss of power or service engine light is on

couple weeks ago i did my e test (98 toyota tercel 425K), changed the oil and filter the day before, brought it in cold, and it passed with flying colors. the type of driving you do makes a huge difference, so make sure you let her fly down the highway a few times too.

ive heard running the tank low and running gas line anitifreeze (methly hydrate) will make your car run hot and clean. then it will blow up, so promptly fill the tank with regular fuel.

a greasy mechanic will solve the problem and is often your best choice.

just a rumour above maybe someone could put it to rest either way?

as a "previously enjoyed" car dealer, I have ever only had 1 car that did not pass out of over 1000 vehicles. It needed a new converter. As long as your cats and o2 sensors are working (no engine lights on) you should to be fine.good.gif

The e-test is a joke.

If you genuinely own property up North :rolleyes: or at least out of the etest area just change your driver's licence to that address. You don't need an e test if you live outside of Southern Ontario. Once you've changed your address just renew your sticker. It's being done all over the place. Oh and you can change your address back to your normal home address right after you renew the sticker. :good:

Dan O.

you dont HAVE to put 450 into it

you pay for diagnosis, and do the repairs recommended IN ORDER OF MOST IMPROVEMENT first, up to 450 dollars. if all your car needs is 2 cats, the cost of the repairs will put you over the 450 limit *edit...which means you dont have to do that work*, and you can get tested for a conditional pass. the repair cost limit includes the cost of diagnosis, but not the cost of the retest.

Edited by Dunner

Had a 89 corsica for many years, always passed with flying colours even on it's last test it did tremendous and it wasn't running all that great. A few months later I drove it to the wreckers.

My 97 Aerostar had over 340,000 on it and the same, always passed and I only ever changed the plugs once in it at around 150,000 clicks. Before every e test I changed the oil and ran the snot out of them for about half an hour to 45 minutes, pulled up to the shop and always left the engine running to ensure the motor was still warmed up when they ran it in. Never did add anything to the gas or oil, always passed.

Best of luck.

advance the timing before the test if its an older car it'll run hot for the test and help to lower the hydro's for the test and it'll get the cat nice and hot.

Also I have heard of people taking a cat converter off the car and soaking it with carb cleaner and smacking the hell out of it and shaking it around to clean off the carbon deposits. I would think doing this same procedure with seafoam would also work well, or even clr