Found the Walleyes Today

Leecher

I've been on the hunt for eyes the past couple of weeks without any success... but today it sure was another story.... the window of opportunity opened for a very short time this morning and I was there, ready for it :)

I went 2 for 3, with a decent 17 3/4" and caught another 17"er... I just couldn't be any happier :)

Last night I was prepping the gear and the weather man was calling for some snow overnight and heavy winds.... didn't think much of it at that time and went to bed early....

Got about 6 hours of sleep, woke up around 4:00am and look outside :w00t: Man, snow was fallen really hard and thick :w00t: I was having second thoughts :blush:

But 5:30am came around and I got up, got the gear out to the car and the way I go B) The drive up was somewhat kind of slow, couldn't see the road much, it was all white, so I limit the speed to 60Km/H :o

A long ride to say the least but got there before sunrise B)

Once I had the gear setup, wasn't long before the bite started but no takers at this point :wallbash: It was snowing pretty steady then and was anxious :) The first fish to make it's way onto the ice was a 10" perch on the set line, which I thought I could update Team 8 but it went back down the hole :)

I was thinking at that point, that it was going to be a perch outing.... Once the wind blew the heavy clouds and the sun came out, I get a good hit on my jigging rod, setup with a Mr. Champ type spoon, tipped with a Gulp fish fry.... another specie to make the board for Team 8 :D

DSC04827.jpg

Not long after I get another nice wally on my tipup... this time on a salty B)

DSC04828.jpg

Was I ever happy to see this B) I miss one on a tipup that got my minnow when I set the hook :wallbash:

At around noonish I packed up and went home..... bite had turned off :o the drive was much faster with the roads cleared :)

Made a little video for your peruse... it's got additional pics and some bloopers :lol: Enjoy!!!

ps. For those that don't like / enjoy the tunes, just turn down the volume ;)

Leechman

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid732.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww321%2Fleechman1%2F2011%2FOFNTourneyFeb122011.mp4">

Edited by Leechman

Well done Jacques! Aren't you glad you weren't frazzled by a little snow?!?!

Aye, vlimeuse de belle tuque.. C'est ti du castor?! :clapping:

Merci Fidel!!! It was a down pour :w00t: Nothing was stopping me :D Yeah castor all the way dude :canadian: nice and comfy :D:lol:

Edited by Leechman

Well done. I like the long ice scoop so you can clean the holes standing up straight.

Looks like it scopes in for transport. Excellent.

Thanks Grimace!!! Yeah that ice scoop is a thing of beauty :) telescopic and made for 6" augers B) Fits nicely in a 5 gallon bucket when retracted :thumbsup_anim:

What's a little weather when the fish are calling. Nice walters.

Thanks Bruce!!!

WTG Jacquesclapping.gif Nice specimen. Love your vids.Well made and entertaining.Thanks my friendthumbsup_anim.gif

Paul

Thanks Paul!!! I was quite happy to get those specimens and one of them really caught me by surprise on the jigging rod B)

The vid part is what I love doing.... glad you enjoyed it :)

Nice eyes man! I too have been hunting for them since early January and only have 2 eyes to show :( . Have you tried the evening bite at your lake instead of the morning bite?

I for one have always been a big fan of the evening bite over the morning bite. I still fish both as I am well aware of the benefits of the morning bite. I just love fishing as the sun goes down and I visualize as it gets darker how the world comes into focus for the walleye. In the morning it seems I am in a rush to catch fish as the bite wanes, but in the evening it is just heating up.

I for one have always been a big fan of the evening bite over the morning bite. I still fish both as I am well aware of the benefits of the morning bite. I just love fishing as the sun goes down and I visualize as it gets darker how the world comes into focus for the walleye. In the morning it seems I am in a rush to catch fish as the bite wanes, but in the evening it is just heating up.

I 100% agree with you on that as far as my spring/summer fishing has proved. Also...I like the idea of sleeping in and then lolligagging my way to the lake for the evening bite :D

awesome wallies, loved the vid!

Thanks ranksda58!!!

Nice eyes man! I too have been hunting for them since early January and only have 2 eyes to show :( . Have you tried the evening bite at your lake instead of the morning bite?

Thanks archie_james_c!!! I've tried it a few times and did not get any.... only seemed to catch them early morning for some unknown reason :)

nice eyes. dinner!

Thanks Chris!!! You bet :D

nice shooting bud!

Thanks Mon Ca-pi-ten!!!

nice dark colours on those bad boyz!

Salty eh? hmmm..never tried them. Are they homemade?

Thanks Rod Caster!!! Salties are very easy to make... any left over minnows you have when coming back home from fishing, lay them on a piece of wax paper, generously pour pickling salt (corse) on them so that you cover them, fold the paper so as to not loose any salt and put it into a zip lock freezer type bag and into the freezer :)

I do this since up here I cannot use live bait, only dead / frozen minnows :) The salt will harden them nicely and they won't be mush when they thaw :)