What will be the next world record fish to fall?

fishdawg

after all the bantering about WHERE the next potential muskie would be caught, thought it would be fun to see what SPECIES would be next in line to fall. Now I am talking freshwater species. Or what species do you think WONT ever get broken.

So what do you think?

How about a 40lb Great lakes browntrout?

I think a giant laketrout from NWT could possibly surface again. I think its currently at 70lbs +/- ??

I think that 97lb Chinook salmon is pretty safe.

Edited by fishdawg

I think theres a Canadian record Smallie in Simcoe or Erie, just waiting to grab a tube.

I also agree with the NWT Lakers, but I belive that there has been a few caught already that were released by the angler and therefor couldnt be verified.

97 Pound salmon.... safe for now, but I bet theres a few out there that would beat it, and as for a 40 pound brown, well I dont know about that, although we have seen some HUGE browns in the last few years.

I think there are a number of possibilities as far as Canadian and some select world opportunitys.

I have been waiting to see if and when new guidelines begin factoring in questioning records based upon stocked vs. native vs other. The case last fall where a possible world record brook trout was caught in Manitoba had me wondering about its origins and whether it was stocked and also whether it was a triploid, given its size allegedly beating the 1916 Nipigon-Cook record.

Just a couple of thoughts.

outdoorguy61

From some of the other threads on here the Great Lakes record for flying asian carp will be established soon.

All kidding aside though the Canadian record for both small and large mouth bass will likely be reset more than couple of times in next year or two. Whatever the reason bass just seem to keep getting bigger, and bigger. Especially in the great lakes maybe the all goby diet has something to do with it.

The WR LMB is 22lb 9 ounces and was caught in Montgomery Lake, Georgia. This record has stood for 75 years and if it is ever broken it will be in a lake in the south eastern part of the states (Florida, Georgia, etc)

The WR SMB is 10lb 14 ounces and was caught in Dale Hollow, TN. This record has stood for 38 years and if it is broken it will most likely come from some in the mid to south eastern states (Tennesse, Georgia, Alabama, Florida or South Carolina).

The WR Yellow Perch is 4lb 3 ounces and was caught in Bordentown, NJ. This record has stood for 142 years and by the looks of it, it may be a long time before this record is broken.

The WR Northern Pike is 55lb 1 ounce and was caught in Lake of Grefeern, Germany. This record has stood for over 20 years and if it is broken it will most likely be in Europe somewhere.

The WR Walleye is 25lb and was caught in Old Hickory Lake, Tennesse. This record has stood for 47 years and when this record is broken it will most likely be somewhere in the mid to south eastern states (Tennesse, Georgia, Alabama, Florida or South Carolina).

The WR Channel Cat is 58lb and was cuaght in Santee-Cooper Res, SC. This record has stood for 43 years and if it is ever broken it will most likely come from the south eastern states (Tennesse, Georgia, Alabama, Florida or South Carolina).

The WR Carp is 87 lbs (?) and was caught somewhere in France. This record will most likely be broken soon and it will most likely be broken in France, Gemany or England.

The WR Lake Sturgeon is 168lbs and was caught in Georgian Bay. This recoard has stood for 25 years and if it is broken, it will most likely come from one of the great lakes.

My 2 cents

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

I'll throw this into the mix.....

With the proliferation of the Black Crappie and the fact that they feed heavy all year round I will pick them as the next possible record. Simcoe is said to hold some huge schools of them, though only afew anglers seem to be able to connect with them. I know of several lakes near where I live that 10 - 15 years ago didn't hold a Crappie but now produce the odd fish over 3 pounds (yes 3 pounds). They are eating machines. The two that I know of were 3.1 and 3.2 lbs. respectively. What a cool mount that would make... :canadian:

Hookset.

The WR Walleye is 25lb and was caught in Old Hickory Lake, Tennesse. This record has stood for 47 years and when this record is broken it will most likely be somewhere in the mid to south eastern states (Tennesse, Georgia, Alabama, Florida or South Carolina).

Here's something interesting FOTB, I thought I remembered reading an article recentely that the 25 pounder was being questioned

users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/nature/walleye.html

Personal opinion on some of the long standing WR's, particularly those 75 yrs + is that checks and balances are way more sophisticated these days. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the "oldies" are (were) somewhat stretched.....

J...

Here's something interesting FOTB, I thought I remembered reading an article recentely that the 25 pounder was being questioned

users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/nature/walleye.html

That was an interesting read Lew. Photometric Analysis being used to cast serious doubts about the supposed 25lb walleye caught in Tennesse. I wonder if the IGFA will follow suit eventually and recognize the 22 lb 11 ounce walleye caught in Arkansas as the World Record. Based on what i read....i believe that the Tennesee walleye was less then 20 pounds and therefore should not be considered the World Record by the IGFA. I wonder what others on this board think? Agree? Disagree?

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

one wonders just how big a round goby can get!

one of these local characters.. iceguidez don- klatt-david chong- WW--some newbie- some ringer- is sure to burst that Lake Simcoe Bass record in 2007-!

5 fish weighing ?

Cheers

ID1

If it's not some pen raised fish-cow that escapes to the open waters, and it's not some insignificant bait species or pannie :whistling: then my guess would be on a northern species such as a laker, or maybe even sooner an arctic char or grayling.

Global warming or not, winters are slowly shrinking in the north making for longer, warmer, feeding and growth periods. A possible bonus for slow grow species of the north.

My best guess would be the Largemouth bass record could quite possibly be broken in California, read a few articles and watched a show (name escapes me at moment) of this dude catching and releasing three LM bass over 20lbs in the last couple years.

Whopper