Toyota cleared by U.S safety panel

SRT8 smoker craft

Came across this while surfing the net .Figured since all the bad press got posted before I should post good news for a change.

http://www.thestar.com/business/auto/article/935291--u-s-safety-panel-clears-toyota-s-electronics

The article says the problem wasn't electronic.

Cleared by safety board? All in the interpretation I guess !

Wasn't the $49 million dollar fine for covering up the real problem and not fixing it right away ?

The article says the problem wasn't electronic.

Cleared by safety board? All in the interpretation I guess !

Wasn't the $49 million dollar fine for covering up the real problem and not fixing it right away ?

We will never know......the truth

Gas pedal getting stuck in the carpet.

What an economy-driven witch hunt. Guarantee it doesn't happen like that if its GM or Ford.

Those Toyota carpets must be pretty sticky :unsure:

If that was the problem, would it not be happening in all makes of cars? :dunno:

If that was the problem, would it not be happening in all makes of cars? :dunno:

For some reason Toyota has some vehicles that didn't have anchors for their floor mats. That was the affected bunch as Toyota tried to explain in the beginning but the witch hunt kept snow balling with the liberal driven media that would do anything to help the Savior in the white house and his newly purchased car company.

My Tundra had the anchors from the factory but I still got the recall letters from Toyota on that and wanting to modify the gas pedal with a useless shim just to quite down the DAILY liberal media witch hunt.

BTW I never took my truck in and I have never had a problem with it. Best VEHICLE I have ever owned....going on 4 years now without having to return to the dealer except for a broken tire sensor that Firestone broke while applying new rubber.

Buy what you want but I'm done with Government Motors, Ford and especially Chrysler.

My cousins a Toyota Tech with 25 years in. I asked him about it and he said the fix was the addition of some shims to the pedal assembly to prevent it from binding. The ironic thing is that the recall only applied to Toyota's with pedal assemblies that were made by a North American parts supplier. Anyone with the same model car that was equipped with a Denso pedal assembly from Japan wasn't recalled. That same North American pedal assembly, by the way, is also used in some Ford and GM models.

Dont make fun of this one.. it is very true ... sometimes the mat slides forward and over the accelerator ... it happened to my mother 40 years ago in her plymouth valiant and she got in a BAD accident ... always a good idea to be vigilant and check your mats ( especially in winter when you tend to have cheap 'generic' mats for protection against the snow ... nowadays most cars have little safety clips to prevent the mat from sliding forward (on the drivers side) .. gues what they are for :)

But you are right this is not an issue for only one car manufacturer IMHO....

Edited by camillj

In general I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but this happens to the #1 importer in the US at the same time the US economy is tanking and the gov puts money into the domestic companies.

Oh, and after all the rambling about electronics and mechanical issues (which scares the crap out of people), its determined the problem is floor mats.

I mean, really?

In general I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but this happens to the #1 importer in the US at the same time the US economy is tanking and the gov puts money into the domestic companies.

Oh, and after all the rambling about electronics and mechanical issues (which scares the crap out of people), its determined the problem is floor mats.

I mean, really?

It's always good to have a government in your pocket when dealing with your competitors in business.;) ;)

Edited by Old Man

People think this is some sort of conspiracy theory? Tell that to the CHP officer and his family who is now dead because of unintended acceleration..

The people who are at fault are the Toyota software engineers.. Not the manufacturers of 'sticky' pedals, not the Obama admin, not any of the Big 3.

Toyota needs to take responsibility.

People think this is some sort of conspiracy theory? Tell that to the CHP officer and his family who is now dead because of unintended acceleration..

The people who are at fault are the Toyota software engineers.. Not the manufacturers of 'sticky' pedals, not the Obama admin, not any of the Big 3.

In the news yesterday....

Toyota scored a key victory today when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that the automaker’s electronic systems played no role in the deadly unintended-acceleration crisis that led to the recall of millions of vehicles.

The Department of Transportation division launched the study 10 months ago with a directive from Congress to find out whether Toyota’s electronically controlled throttles or other software caused the problems, rather than the sticky throttle mechanisms and loose floor mats that had been blamed.

The NHTSA engineers who conducted the research were assisted by engineers from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to probe the electronic systems for any signs of malfunction.

"The jury is back. The verdict is in. There is no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas. Period," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "Our conclusion that Toyota's problems were mechanical, not electrical come after one of the most exhaustive, thorough and intensive research efforts ever undertaken."

Toyota took responsibility and recalled millions of cars and fixed the problem how many people died in explorers while ford was blaming the tire company (I don't know the whole story just a example)the biggest problem was people trying to cash in saying their toyota's took off .None of us common folk will ever know the whole truth but .