• Salmon/Trout
    • Pike
    • Bass
    • Crappie
    • Perch
    • musky
    • Walleye
    • I don't use minnows

Trap, my last time up there was 1988 or 89 I believe the laws were different then. I emailed the Ministry a couple years ago and got answer, they said the bait dealers lead the push to ban non-residents from trapping their own.

LOL I like fishing for them with a hook better any way, I don`t use much small bait.

B,

I have only ever used them for ice fishing. The left overs are given away to others. On Island lake, I take them back to the folks operating the bait concession. They can re-sell them.

If I used live bait in the soft water season, it would be worms or Leeches...if anything at all.

I rely on minnows for 95% of my fishing outings, some would say "go and catch your own", in which i do, but when I am just getting off of work, I do not have time to go find a school of minnows to lure into my trap, so I go and support the local neighbourhood bait shop and buy them.

Just for the record since it wasn't on the poll, I also use minnows for catfish :Gonefishing:

Since folks who don't use internet and or have language barriers to the poll and also since folks who use or don't use minnows may or may not respond to the poll.... and a buncha other professional social-science aspects, the poll is not reliable. Not to mention the sample size.....

DON'T take a "37% use minnows" to MNR since the results may be used to close down the bait industry as opposed to support it. If you do, then make sure you teel em the sample was from internet users numbering.... what, 20 to 50 OFC respondents?!?!

The survey/poll is not scientifically rigorous...... I'll translate...... it's CRAP! It's meaningless except to support a hidden agenda ( see my post on the baitharvester help thread.

I was afraid someone was going to trundle off with the meaningless results only to give MNR ammo to do as they please. So for the record, lettem contact me if they wish to use this data to support baitfish as bait closure. SHEESH!

I expect lottsa attacks now from the peanut gallery, but the intelligent among the members here understand what I've stated here. LOL!

I use minnows, not all the time but on occasion.

The left overs go to the roadside or in some cases I have returned the live ones to the shop where I bought them. Whether the owner has put them into a separate tank to observe them for later resale or put them aside to return them to their original home is his choice. I have kept them alive for the next day. I tried to keep them for future trips a week or so later but discovered that it wasn't worth my while.

Wayne is right, it is illegal to dump live minnows into a different body of water, a very important rule that I don't think many have noticed.

I take them back to my small pond and feed them to the bass . AND I catch them in the river that flows in to the lake that I am on. When the bass are bigger then 6 inches I let the BASS go back in the lake. I am really not a bass fisher men I like lake trout pike rainbow walleyes and after LAKAIR musky I HOPE. Bass is really not my thing . They are just to easy to catch.

• 4 months later...
Since folks who don't use internet and or have language barriers to the poll and also since folks who use or don't use minnows may or may not respond to the poll.... and a buncha other professional social-science aspects, the poll is not reliable. Not to mention the sample size.....

DON'T take a "37% use minnows" to MNR since the results may be used to close down the bait industry as opposed to support it. If you do, then make sure you teel em the sample was from internet users numbering.... what, 20 to 50 OFC respondents?!?!

The survey/poll is not scientifically rigorous...... I'll translate...... it's CRAP! It's meaningless except to support a hidden agenda ( see my post on the baitharvester help thread.

I was afraid someone was going to trundle off with the meaningless results only to give MNR ammo to do as they please. So for the record, lettem contact me if they wish to use this data to support baitfish as bait closure. SHEESH!

I expect lottsa attacks now from the peanut gallery, but the intelligent among the members here understand what I've stated here. LOL!

Spray some Raid up yer butt Bubba!!!... it might kill that bug! :w00t:

I'm not going to lie, I turn mine back into the lake if I don't find someone to give them to... it gives the Crappie something to do when I'm not around ;)

I use minnows for Crappie and Catfish, and would use them for Wall-ice... if I could get Kevin to stock them in June :rolleyes:

A 6 hook Sabiki Rig loaded with live minnows (in the U.S... 4 hooks in Canuckia) is D-E-A-D-L-Y!!!

Spray some Raid up yer butt Bubba!!!... it might kill that bug! :w00t:

I'm not going to lie, I turn mine back into the lake if I don't find someone to give them to... it gives the Crappie something to do when I'm not around ;)

I use minnows for Crappie and Catfish, and would use them for Wall-ice... if I could get Kevin to stock them in June :rolleyes:

A 6 hook Sabiki Rig loaded with live minnows (in the U.S... 4 hooks in Canuckia) is D-E-A-D-L-Y!!!

R O T F L M A O

Minnows for catfish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :dunno:

R O T F L M A O

Minnows for catfish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dunno.gif

YEP! You mean to say you haven't had a cat take a minnow? :dunno:

I have caught far to many cats this spring on live minnows, trolling spoons and spinners. You should give it a try. Kind of fun :D except when the cat gets his pectorals tangled up in the net and the trebles of your favourite Mepps through the netting so bad that I had to cut up the net so the big cat could live. :angry:

Just like in GCD's pictures, cats do love minnows. I know I was surprised years ago the first time I got one this way. So much for them being bottom feeders eating rotting stuff. :w00t:

When I went ice fishing on Simcoe I was told that the minnows were from Simcoe so at the end of the day I returned them to the lake - was that ok?

Edited by OO7