Electrical question regarding downriggers?

Pigeontroller

So I finally have gotten a second Big Jon downrigger. I have a nice wooden transome bar to mount them on and I want to wire the bar nicely. The Big Jons have two-prong male plugs, I found a couple of two-prong female plugs at CTC. What gauge of wiring should I use?

Thanks!

I am not an electrician but if I were doing it , I would look at the wire size on a 12 Volt winch. I think the wire on that would be sufficient for downriggers. Make sure you get the Plus & Minus on the same side of the plugs. Mark your male plugs with a mark so they go in the plug the right way everytime. That's my way of thinking Pigeontroller.

Larry

#10 guage wire should be sufficiant; however i would recommend an inline fuse in the positive (+) lead or feed wire. Location of this inline fuse holder should be located as close to the battery as possible. Fuse size enough to give overload protection. An inline breaker is another alternative. Use Thirstystone's advice when wiring.

Correct wire size in your case is based on the load (in amperes or watts) of the downrigger motor and the distance it is from your power source.

Like others have said overcurrent protection (inline fuses or circuit breaker) is a must to protect both the equipment and wiring. I prefer the miniature inline circuit breakers for convenience.

Load info should be on the motor itself, if you can post that and the approximate length from your battery I can give you the wire size.

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

I can't understand for the life of me why Big Jon, in this day and age, is still using a 110V lamp cord plug.... just because that's how they prototyped a unit from crap they had at hand back in the day. Surprised they don't have warrantee returns yearly from guys plugging them into wall sockets...instead of the 12V DC they're supposed to run on.

I'd change them to mini-twist locks..but that's just me. Mind you I did see a pontoon boat with 4 electrics on it last year and a multi plug bar extension cord from CTC made plugging them all in really easy... :D

Guest gbfisher
#10 guage wire should be sufficiant; however i would recommend an inline fuse in the positive (+) lead or feed wire. Location of this inline fuse holder should be located as close to the battery as possible. Fuse size enough to give overload protection. An inline breaker is another alternative. Use Thirstystone's advice when wiring.

I read all the posts here....LOL....

Use #10 like buddy says. With a fuse or breaker at 30 amps to protect the wire. Using anything less like 12 or 14 can give you problems or a fire. Hope this helps.

Sounds like misfish has been teaching electrical school 101.... :whistling::thumbsup_anim: (JOKE)

All motors are protected by an internal fuse.

Breakers are not to protect equipment. They are to protect wire!

Kindly tell us where the internal fuse is located on all motors, I'm just waiting to see this. Like Tybo our master Mech said, 12-14 ga wire is sufficient.

Guest gbfisher

Look it up...better yet...ask Tybo.... :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Use 14 :thumbsup_anim: or 12...LOL....

Make sure you have a good extinguisher.... :stretcher:

You Licenced??? :worthy::rolleyes:

Not here to argue with you bud. Just trying to help and not see some one burn there investment.

:worthy:

So far, couldn't find anything on internal motor fuses other than on 110V or larger for thermal shut off.

Use 12 or 14 ga, whats the problem, check the chart:http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

and after checking amp draw for the following associated weights, 5 amp for a 10lb weight, 8 amp for a 15lb weight and 11 amps for a 20 lb weight. I think the average weight used is about 10-12lb, so whats the issue with the booster cable sized wire. No fire on my boat.

No not licenced, just followed the instructions on what to use for wire when I did mine.

Go with #10AWG to reduce voltage drop and improve power transfer. Use fine -multi-stranded -tinned wire to handle vibration & corrosion. Use inline fuse right @ battery on + wire. If cable run is more than a few feet then twist cables together to reduce RF interference with FF etc.. Use a twist lock plug like Irish said.

BTW: I was electronics field engineer.

Go with #10AWG to reduce voltage drop and improve power transfer. Use fine -multi-stranded -tinned wire to handle vibration & corrosion. Use inline fuse right @ battery on + wire. If cable run is more than a few feet then twist cables together to reduce RF interference with FF etc.. Use a twist lock plug like Irish said.

BTW: I was electronics field engineer.

Ted...I'm an Electro-Mechanical Engineer...that's how I knew about the "Magic Smoke" ! LOL :D

Odd, both my Big Jon dr's have 12v dc plug adaptor's and built in breaker's on the motor's, :whistling: installed with a marine breaker on the positive lead of the battery.

Hey Pigeon, I have one big jon swivel base and backer plate if your interested.

boston

PS, I must just live around the corner from yah.

Had my Big Jons since new. (approx. 16/17 years)

Only problem I ever had was corrosion on the prongs of the

factory plugs. That was just in the last 2/3 years. Cut them off and wired directly to the battery.

On one rigger, I added a piece of heavy extension cord because the rigger cord was just

a bit too short to reach the battery. Not sure of the exact gauge.

All the Big Jons electric riggers I've seen have built in breakers on the side of the motor,

but not an inline fuse on the power cord. I can certainly add one if necessary.

My 13 cents (inflation :rolleyes: )