Parking Access to Lake Simcoe Now Restricted

Aaron Shirley

If you are planning on heading to Big Bay Point on your own, you will not find parking anymore from what I have been told. Apparently the Township of Innisfil has closed parking in the only lot with access to Big Bay Point unless you are a local. Another access point taken away from the everyday angler if this is true. If you want to go out with the new hut operator at BBP you should be fine.

As someone who walks miles out to a spot, this was a good spot for me to park and hit deep water without walking a marathon. Does anyone know if this information on restricting access to parking at BBP is correct or a hoax? I will find out tomorrow if I can park at BBP, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

NewBigBayPointSign.jpg

So, what's it take to get a permit?

Can't you just pop into city hall and buy one?

My guess is it's the township trying to put some extra $$$ in the coffers please the locals. So if it's a pay per permit system just buy one and thumb your nose at the locals when you park there. :whistling:

yes it is true

you need a sticker to not get a $50 ticket

That is outrageous Terry. What access point on Lake Simcoe will be next? Where will it end? If this keeps up, the OMNR will be laying off the CO's that enforce Simcoe, because the only people that will be left fishing will be locals and people renting huts :(

The town of Innifil has enjoyed the economic benefits from anglers for years, and this is a big slap in the face. Talk about biting the hands that feed them!

I will not be spending any of my money in the township of Innisfil anymore, and I know a lot of other people that will not either over this. I will be making it a point to even fill up my gas at home from now on. I will be contacting the township of Innisfil to let them know this as well. I encourage anyone else that enjoys fishing on Lake Simcoe to do the same. If the township thinks they will lose revenues with a lot of backlash, they may make parking available at Big Bay Point.

Fishing in Ontario and our rights seem to be slowly eroding. This is very sad. One day I may have to explain to my son why we have to travel to New York State to go fishing :stretcher: Fishing in Ontario seems to be heading in a very bad direction, privitization!

That is outrageous Terry. What access point on Lake Simcoe will be next? Where will it end? If this keeps up, the OMNR will be laying off the CO's that enforce Simcoe, because the only people that will be left fishing will be locals and people renting huts :(

The town of Innifil has enjoyed the economic benefits from anglers for years, and this is a big slap in the face. Talk about biting the hands that feed them!

I will not be spending any of my money in the township of Innisfil anymore, and I know a lot of other people that will not either over this. I will be making it a point to even fill up my gas at home from now on. I will be contacting the township of Innisfil to let them know this as well. I encourage anyone else that enjoys fishing on Lake Simcoe to do the same. If the township thinks they will lose revenues with a lot of backlash, they may make parking available at Big Bay Point.

Fishing in Ontario and our rights seem to be slowly eroding. This is very sad. One day I may have to explain to my son why we have to travel to New York State to go fishing :stretcher: Fishing in Ontario seems to be heading in a very bad direction, privitization!

:thumbsup_anim:

So, what's it take to get a permit?

Can't you just pop into city hall and buy one?

My guess is it's the township trying to put some extra $$$ in the coffers please the locals. So if it's a pay per permit system just buy one and thumb your nose at the locals when you park there. :whistling:

You gotta be an area resident. NOTL does the same thing with fishing from public lands.

I just can not wait for Zone licensing. I have a 7 day license for zone 15 but a year license for zone 18. My buddy wants me to go fishing at his cottage so I will have to purchase a 3 day zone 11. Now I just need to get a few walleye tags. Maybe a Laker tag just in case. Hope I catch some because the tags expire after a week.

UGH!!!!

Be towed and walk home.. no fun in that. Same deal parking toooo close to the ramp at IBPark.

Unfortunately these bylaws get pushed for reasons, whether real or envisioned. It's the way of the "world" lately. I have a local, respected councilor (my son! lol) looking into launch fees collected vs salary paid to collect same at the Penetang boat launch!

Edited by irishfield

I am very dissapointed with the township of Innisfil about this. I fish there a lot and used to park there. I used to spend money locally there whenever I could, and this is just such a slap in the face :angry:

I just wrote the Township of Innisfil on their on-line form.

Here is the link to the township of Innisfil to let them know how you feel about losing access to a prime Lake Simcoe ice fishing spot. We need to flood them with comments people!!! Don't just sit back and let this stuff happen without a fight! They need to have a lot of backlash on this to consider making changes.

http://www.innisfil.ca/contact-us

This is a copy of what I sent the township of Innisfil:

To whom it may concern;

I am an avid angler that has enjoyed spending a lot of time fishing on Lake Simcoe during every season, including ice fishing in the winter. I have spent a considerable amount of my hard-earned money over the years in the township of Innisfil. Accomodations, fuel, bait, tackle and food are some of the examples. One of my favourite spots to go ice fishing in the winter is Kempenfelt Bay and Big Bay Point.

It has been recently brought to my attention that the small parking lot at Big Bay Point to access Kempenfelt Bay and Big Bay Point has been closed to everyone but local residents. As an angler that has spent a lot of money in Innisfil over the years, I find this to be a huge slap in the face. This is completely unacceptable. You are biting the hands that feed you, and your recent decision to close the Big Bay Point parking lot to anglers will be met with major backlash in the angling community.

I will personally make it a point to not spend any more of my hard-earned money in the township of Innisfil until suitable parking for anglers is established at the Big Bay Point area. Furthermore, many people I know will be doing the same. And if this doesn't raise your eyebrows, we will be asking every angler we know and meet to also avoid spending money in the township of Innisfil until suitable parking for anglers is established at Big Bay Point as well.

Please do not respond with "oh but there is a parking lot over 'there' on the lake. If you would like to keep enjoying the economic benefits that anglers bring to the township of Innisfil, you must establish suitable parking for anglers at the Big Bay Point area. Period.

Sincerely,

Edited by Aaron Shirley

I am very dissapointed with the township of Innisfil about this. I fish there a lot and used to park there. I used to spend money locally there whenever I could, and this is just such a slap in the face :angry:

I just wrote the Township of Innisfil on their on-line form.

Here is the link to the township of Innisfil to let them know how you feel about losing access to a prime Lake Simcoe ice fishing spot. We need to flood them with comments people!!! Don't just sit back and let this stuff happen without a fight! They need to have a lot of backlash on this to consider making changes.

http://www.innisfil.ca/contact-us

This is a copy of what I sent the township of Innisfil:

To whom it may concern;

I am an avid angler that has enjoyed spending a lot of time fishing on Lake Simcoe during every season, including ice fishing in the winter. I have spent a considerable amount of my hard-earned money over the years in the township of Innisfil. Accomodations, fuel, bait, tackle and food are some of the examples. One of my favourite spots to go ice fishing in the winter is Kempenfelt Bay and Big Bay Point.

It has been recently brought to my attention that the small parking lot at Big Bay Point to access Kempenfelt Bay and Big Bay Point has been closed to everyone but local residents. As an angler that has spent a lot of money in Innisfil over the years, I find this to be a huge slap in the face. This is completely unacceptable. You are biting the hands that feed you, and your recent decision to close the Big Bay Point parking lot to anglers will be met with major backlash in the angling community.

I will personally make it a point to not spend any more of my hard-earned money in the township of Innisfil until suitable parking for anglers is established at the Big Bay Point area. Furthermore, many people I know will be doing the same. And if this doesn't raise your eyebrows, we will be asking every angler we know and meet to also avoid spending money in the township of Innisfil until suitable parking for anglers is established at Big Bay Point as well.

Please do not respond with "oh but there is a parking lot over 'there' on the lake. If you would like to keep enjoying the economic benefits that anglers bring to the township of Innisfil, you must establish suitable parking for anglers at the Big Bay Point area. Period.

Sincerely,

Make that 2

Perhaps a flood of emails regarding this issue might help them shake thier heads out of stupid.

Edited by HTHM

Problem with this type of thing is that you can send them letters but the municiple governments are after municiple votes. The local guys love this. They will vote them back in. Where are all the Innisfil guys on this board even. They love it. Gets us out of their hair.

Im think,n a drive out there after work today and maybe see if I can park in a locals driveway.Politly offer them a cash donation.It cant hurt.

Thats not to take away from what you are saying Aaron.I totally agree with you.Just dont blame the divers here.Alot has to do with noice aswell.Sleds and atvs firing up in the early hours of the morning.Im sure that is part of it aswell.

Edited by Misfish