Which auger?

bassjnkie

I only go out ice fishing a few time a year and always rent a hut. This year I have everything but an auger, i'm looking for an 8" or 6" hand auger, but there are many out there and don't know which one to get? Would buying used be recommended? Thanks

Just picked up an 8" Fin Bore III last week, works like a charm. If you fish mostly for panfish and or walleye, get the 6".

Personally I stayed away from used, augers aren't really that expensive...well, the Nils gets up there, but, I figured for $89.99 I was buying new.

you can get burnt on a used auger...regardless of the condition of the blades, if the auger has been abused and dropped on the head, drilling through old holes, etc it can throw the pitch off and you won't be cutting much ice with it, just spinning

i'd only buy a used auger if it had a conical blade on it, best hand auger IMO

Thanks all. I was looking at the Fin Bore III, but wasn't sure about size. Will 6" be good for lakers? but I will probably fishing mostly for panfish.

Six inch, would be pushing it for lakers. That's the reason, I went for the 8"...some of those Simcoe "greys" can get pretty darn fat.

I bought mine at lebaron 8" pin bore last yr for almost 80bucks I think work fine.. still used it today.. prolly drill 70 to 90 holes and still sharp..

but on the other hand I found this.. maybe you want it, i hope this help.. 39.99 for an auger is a best price..

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Hand-Ice-Auger/product/10219516/-1748839

hope this help...

picked up a 6 inch fin bore III at basspro on boxing day. It was only around $60 but having used it I now know why it is more expensive than my previous $45 model. It cuts through the ice like butter.

I have heard some guys say that they simply cut 2 holes close together and make 1 big hole with the smaller diamter augers. But if Lakers are your main quarry probably makes sense to go with an 8 inch.

Guest gbfisher

Six inch, would be pushing it for lakers. That's the reason, I went for the 8"...some of those Simcoe "greys" can get pretty darn fat.

If ya need a bigger hole drill two holes side by side. An 8" with thick ice(2') will start to hurt after a while. If you are like me and like to move around to catch fish go with the 6". One hole will fit 10 pound lakers. Over 15 is where it gets tough.... :whistling::blush:

picked up a 6 inch fin bore III at basspro on boxing day. It was only around $60 but having used it I now know why it is more expensive than my previous $45 model. It cuts through the ice like butter.

I have heard some guys say that they simply cut 2 holes close together and make 1 big hole with the smaller diamter augers. But if Lakers are your main quarry probably makes sense to go with an 8 inch.

Yep, just turn and it cuts by it,s self.And ya, I did the same thing.Cut two holes side by side by side and chip out the middle for years.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

finnbore is the only way.

swedebore is for people who like dull blades and enjoy working hard.

personally i use a 6" for lakers because of the number of holes i'll drill in a day, but any fish over 5lbs is gonna be a dance.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

6" all the way. I'll never drill through 2ft of ice with an 8" again. My heart won't take it.

We timed cutting holes on Joseph last year - side by side 10" Power auger vs my 6" Finn Bore with brand new blades

It was close but the power auger cut 6 holes about 30 yards apart a minute or two faster than I could with my manual

Ice was somewhare around 14" thick

Later that day I pulled a 17 lb trout through a 6" hole - no problem

As back up I do carry a 36" demolition hand saw that makes short work out of joining 2 6" holes drilled side by side

Keep your blades sharp and 6" is all you need

Had power augers, had 8" augers, 6" will do just about anything you need. The difference between a 6" and an 8" (I worked it out and posted it on this board a few years back) is an 8" removes about twice as much ice by volume than a 6" (and requires about twice the effort to do it). the forumla is 3.1416Xr2X the thickness of the ice.

r being the radius (1/2) of the diameter of the hole

Example: for 6" auger, 12" of ice

3.1416X9X12=330.28 cubic inches of ice

Example for 8" auger, 12" of ice

3.1416X16X12=603.18 cubic inches of ice

In other words about twice the energy per hole.

If you are young and strong; well you choose which one suits you best. If you are like me, I'd rather drill two holes, one at a time than one big hole and be too tired to fish it LOL.

As for makes, they are all good if you take care of them properly. I buy a new set of blades for mine ($20.00) then keep them as back up. If my blades do get dull, I just install the new ones but a set usually lasts me about 4 years.

Edited by Big Cliff

Had power augers, had 8" augers, 6" will do just about anything you need. The difference between a 6" and an 8" (I worked it out and posted it on this board a few years back) is an 8" removes about twice as much ice by volume than a 6" (and requires about twice the effort to do it). the forumla is 3.1416Xr2X the thickness of the ice.

r being the radius (1/2) of the diameter of the hole

Example: for 6" auger, 12" of ice

3.1416X9X12=330.28 cubic inches of ice

Example for 8" auger, 12" of ice

3.1416X16X12=603.18 cubic inches of ice

In other words about twice the energy per hole.

If you are young and strong; well you choose which one suits you best. If you are like me, I'd rather drill two holes, one at a time than one big hole and be too tired to fish it LOL.

As for makes, they are all good if you take care of them properly. I buy a new set of blades for mine ($20.00) then keep them as back up. If my blades do get dull, I just install the new ones but a set usually lasts me about 4 years.

Great post Cliff,,,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,,,,,,

Todays hand augers are way beyond what was made "back in the day". The finbor3 is the hands down, the best hand auger made to day.If treated right,it will last a hard water angler years, without changing blades.Less effort then the older style.You will notice there are two handles for turning,not one and a large nob on top.The fin is made to turn,not push and turn.

Edited by Misfish

I also have a FINBORE III 8" with offset handle , and will race any stock 8" gas auger for 1 hole start to finish on 8-10" of Ice and beat it and the operator 95% of the time... 15 years ago , when I was in better shape, I used to race for 2 holes just to show off but not anymore.

the FIN hands down! :)

Randy

:canadian:

Great post Cliff,,,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,,,,,,

Todays hand augers are way beyond what was made "back in the day". The finbor3 is the hands down, the best hand auger made to day.If treated right,it will last a hard water angler years, without changing blades.Less effort then the older style.You will notice there are two handles for turning,not one and a large nob on top.The fin is made to turn,not push and turn.

Doesn't matter which auger you use (admittedly some are better than others) the difference in energy required between a 6" and an 8" hole remains the same. I have a Swedbore, it was within my price range, it was available, and while there may be better, it does the job for me. Mind you, I drive a Subaru not a hummer LOL.

Doesn't matter which auger you use (admittedly some are better than others) the difference in energy required between a 6" and an 8" hole remains the same. I have a Swedbore, it was within my price range, it was available, and while there may be better, it does the job for me. Mind you, I drive a Subaru not a hummer LOL.

IMO it does matter.

You use your swedbor,then try a finbor(weather it be 6 or 8 inch).You tell me???? Im just say,n. You drive a Subaru???Sorry to here that.LOL :tease: J/K