Speckle Trout

LucG

A few buddies of mine went out trout fishing the other day and were really succesful. Allthough they would not tell me what they were using for bait. They admitted it was not minnows or corn, and said they would not tell me until I guess it correctly.

Can anyone share their ideas as to what they might have been using. It is organic...

Thanks

It isnt salmon eggs, worms, or maggots... It isnt gulp...

I think its something that isnt sold as fish bait. Something very unconventional...

I asked if it could be found in the grocery store and they said yes...lol

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i've heard of shrimp being used for salmonids..never specks though but who knows!

there is no secret bait for them though... personally i just use minnows and worms...

specks have a MAJOR soft spot for leeches and small crayfish as well.

by the sounds of things, your buddies did well because they were on a decent lake on a day that fish cooperated...nothing more, nothing less...

Its not chicken and its not shrimp!

Their having a real blast watching me break my brain trying to figure it out. I'm pretty sure they aren't pulling my leg either. They said they brought minnows, but they were catching everything on this "secret bait".

I'll have to ask if it was cheese.

Chances are, whatever they were using could have been duplicated by a number of baits on that particular day. There is no magic Brook Trout bait. When they are on, you can throw the kitchen sink at them and catch them by the boat full. When they are off, they can be near impossible to catch. I pretty much fish Brook Trout exclusively and I've caught a few in the past two decades. Not one has been caught on an organic bait.

Chances are, whatever they were using could have been duplicated by a number of baits on that particular day. There is no magic Brook Trout bait. When they are on, you can throw the kitchen sink at them and catch them by the boat full. When they are off, they can be near impossible to catch. I pretty much fish Brook Trout exclusively and I've caught a few in the past two decades. Not one has been caught on an organic bait.

As correct as you may be, I'm still interested in finding out what they were using.

It wasnt cheese, bacon or marshmellows...the quest continues