New to Ice Fishing

Gregoire

I went out on the weekend on the ice for the first time. I wish I could post a report but I got skunked. Anyway, I was just wondering if either of these things have ever happened to you:

My skimmer broke as I was using it. Just shattered. I'll be purchasing a metal one for the next trip.

My reel froze up. I thought it was broken, but when I got her warmed up she was working fine. Just wondering what I can do to stop this from happening again.

Mind if I ask... what reel?.. and yeah the plastic skimmers will break.. that is why redwolf sells em for 1.99 :)

Wayne offers good advice. Be sure not to leave a warm reel in the snow, as it will freeze, an d try not to get it wet ;)

G

Sometimes there will be a bit of moisture inside the reel that will freeze the guts on you. If I get mine wet, I put them by the fire all night so they're nice and dry the next time I use them.

Taking the cover off and checking things out is the best way to know for sure what's going on.

S.

Mind if I ask... what reel?.. and yeah the plastic skimmers will break.. that is why redwolf sells em for 1.99 :)

Wayne offers good advice. Be sure not to leave a warm reel in the snow, as it will freeze, an d try not to get it wet ;)

G

LOL...yeah...what Gerrit said....and dont drop it in your minnow bucket either...lol...dunno who'd do that :whistling:

I use an aquarium net from the pet store for removing ice chips from the hole and keep it in my minnow pail to keep from freezing up and for scooping out a minnow...they are much stronger than the nets they sell in tackle stores and do a much cleaner job than the plastic scoops...thumbsup_anim.gif

Keep your reel off of snow...