Sportsmens Show

kennyman

Went to the Sportsmen show yesterday and had a great time. Saw a couple seminars (Ron James was great and a really nice guy to talk to).bought some new lures (Blue Fox-white double musky buzz, JSR-7 (Perch) and a long Bomber A (glass Perch?),trailer hooks, 50lb.PowerPro line (free hat promotion....woohoo),Fishergirl camo shirt for my daughter, found new (to me anyway) Lunkerhead 6" soft plastic gobies that when on bottom it's rather large tail sticks up in the water (hopefully flagging fish in). I got to compare reels and although I didn't buy one at the show I've pretty much narrowed my decision to a Shimano Corsair 201A/301A or an Abu 5501/6501 C3 or C4. I was hoping for a "smokin" deal at the show,but I'll probably just grab a used one here on the OFC classifieds or e-Bay. Also got alot of pamphlets,maps etc. from the booths. Anyway I had fun.got to look at a ton of awesome boats,canoes.etc., learned quite a bit, got some deals on some deals on some things I would have had a hard time even finding where I live. I heard very little about the show on this site and what I did hear wasn't exactly encouraging ......... why????? Okay paying 7.50 for two Frutopias is a ripoff, but I thought the show did exactly what it was supposed to. I guess it was better in the past???? Oh well, to use an analogy,just because you saw one great movie doesn't mean all the other ones suck. To me it's more like sex, it's all good :w00t::thumbsup_anim: and the more the better LOL.

Edited by kennyman

yeah, but sex isn't as much fun, when you're the only one that shows up....

I think may people are just tired of the same old same old

if there is something new they want, like a new boat they go but other wise.......it's been there

done that

Oh well, to use an analogy,just because you saw one great movie doesn't mean all the other ones suck.

Not everybody likes the same movie, very true.

As Terry said, "Same old, same old." Pretty much sums the show up with both quotes. There is more than one reason that these type of shows are held this time of year, cabin fever! That and it also gives dealers and manufacturers a jump start on the season.

I thought about going several times, but figured I'd rather save the money and spend it locally at my resident tackle shops.

I thought about going several times, but figured I'd rather save the money and spend it locally at my resident tackle shops.

Now thats the way to think ..if your go with your family and the cost of driven and the cost of parking and addmision could save you alote of money local ...i use to love the shows when it was huge full of sales but now the cost of boths seems alots of the small store stay away and just have a sale of there own ..

Like the rest said, the cost is inhibiting to spending. If the oraganization that rents out the floorspace was a little less greedy, it may encourage more vendors who in turn could lower their mark up on prices before they have "discount specials" for the show". Until that happens, the show will keep shrinking until there's nothing left, mayeb another 10 years or so. I can remember way back that show would cover all the building that were joined together, the west end alone was just outfitters, then all the vendors, dog trials and casting pools in the middle, a huge all day event. Now it's like going through the drive through at Timmys, just a quick stop.

Highlight of the show for me was seeing the Ltd Edition Lund and the fish & chips! :lol:

Regular prices on the tackle and electronics from what I saw, and the $15 entry fee (It's not like you get something for your money...) plus $5 parking is a bit much...

No wonder people don't go...picture the average family $30 before you are inside the building (Probably more since I think you had to pay for kids)

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Took my 6 year old Grandson on Thursday......

Parking $10.00

Entrance $35.00 (two adults, one child)

Three drinks, one slice of Pizza $20.00

Having to pay $2.00 - $5.00 a time for everything else he wanted to do......... $ Priceless...

Pretty slow around the boat displays. I stopped twice to look and got mugged each time! Special Edition Lund was nice tho'.. Did anyone see that, (I believe it was 150hp), tiller?

As many have said, I buy my tackle locally as I need it....The deal is the same and I can take my time and have a chat.........

John..

I went last year and said to myself i wont ever go again reason being is its to commercialized theres not much deals there i spent almost 200 bucks in stuff and 3 quarters of it was over priced i found out a couple of weeks later when i took a trip to the local tackle shop, its a feeling thats hard to explain more anger than upset.

the problem is you go to these things to find a deal, if no one there is giving deals it doesnt make sence to spend 60 bucks to get through the door when you can spend that 60 some where else to buy what you want, so the only way to get a deal is save the money you would spend getting in and eating, and put it towards what you want to buy. Until the exibitors realiize this the shows are going to get smaller and smaller

I went Saturday and while I do agree on the lack of deals I found it to be a good show for what I went for. I'm thinking about a canoe or kayak purchase as well as some solo camping for this season and the show was a great opportunity to talk to a slew of different vendors including some dealers I wasn't currently aware of and, maybe surprisingly, most were more than happy to take the time to talk to me about my needs without any concern of me committing (heck the swift canoe guy made a points of telling to wait for their used/last year model sale in april). I did end up buying a new tent while the lebaron no tax deal was still on but only after I was also able to talk the eureka guys directly then went back to lebarons loaded with info on what I wanted (of course they still suckered me into dry bags and other stuff :) ).

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw in with a 'I thought it was good' post.

I just googled hick

can't print most of the hits

but

hick

A derogatory slang term for lower class whites raised in rural areas, usually within trailer parks or hog farms. Generally used more for Midwesterners than Southerners (see: redneck)

General defining characteristics of a hick: Protestant upbringing, usually Baptist; racist and sexist opinions; does not attend collage ; dumber than a post.

dang, sure am glad I'm not a hick......lol

by hicks... i mean out of towners, or suthern folks

So Im out of your town. You calling me a hick? <_<

Are you representing Al Flaherty? I would fire you in a heartbeat if you used that term on one of my customers.

Be careful what you say.

Sorry Kennyman..Just rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by Nipissing

I'd help slam the door on his arse as well Bernie...and Terry..exactly what a "hick" usually is referring to.

Just because we don't dress like a bunch of Metrosexuals (only way I can figure you can tell out of town from intown)..that doesn't make us hicks for making a smart living choice.

Now back to the post...Sportsman Show...different strokes for different folks. Haven't been in about 20 years. Maybe it's time...next year!

by hicks... i mean out of towners, or suthern folks

I would suggest that 1. You learn to spell.... 2. Think out your next post very carefully!

We hicks are in the majority here....

Agreed Wayne. I think the message is clear. Over and done.

Haven't been to the show for about 10 years myself. I remember as a kid being there in 1965. All the "new" outboards and being totally fascinated. Those years are long gone. As far as "deals" at any kind of show are rare now. Costs are too high to allow them. Transporting wares to and from and floor plans are crazy expensive.

Edited by Nipissing

Haven't attended the show in about five years. Main reason, I could virtually attend any show that takes place at that venue, be it the "home Show" or what ever, and find probably 50% of the same vendors at these shows!

It used to be a show geared to the outdoorsman, now it's a show geared to making money for the site operator and a large contingency of retailers who rent a space at every show the Trade Centre offers!

Been there seen that, bought it, felt ripped off, done!

HH

To UB... it's been my experience that the "hicks" have more common sense in their poop, then most city people have in their entire being! I learned a very long time ago, never judge a book by it's cover!

Hey Wayne, can we hicks say arse on here?

John..

I just did! LOL

Bernie... show costs and no deals. That is why every boat Lund brings to these shows is already been paid for by a customer/marina. So their $ output is reduced to the booth fee, transpo and accoms for staff.

Oh no! i think he didn't intend any bad towards anyone i call my wife a hick sometimes joking around, i ran into a few out of towners that refer to us city people as citidiots "city idiot in one word" with all respect i kinda agree with them i hate alot of people in the city area ex: people driving and talking on cell phones, road rage etc if you catch my drift, i live in parkdale and i hope nobody thinks i am some kind of a crackhead lol i have a family and trust me if i had to choose i would be living somewhere close to a lake but my wife is the city girl and loves it but anyways maybe this thread should be removed before things get crazy, just my input. no pun intended.

Edited by PatrickG