Hook n' Look

Gregoire

Just watching this show now. It showed a smallie, obviously on a bed, repeatedly striking a lure. At no point was there ever any mention that they were fishing during the spawn. While the video was cool, I think it is very misleading. In my opinion any time a host is fishing during a spawn it should be mentioned. That fish probably could have been caught with a dill pickle. He is claiming that his bait, which a sponsor is paying him to use, is the best bait. There was just a written disclaimer about catching the fish while bedding, and about catch and release. I just have a problem with him claiming a bait is superior when you can sight fish and catch bedding smallies on virtually anything. I found the show to be very misleading, and to be honest I do have a problem with fishing post-spawn smallies, especially when there is no mention of them spawning, just bedding. A host should be overtly obvious about what he is doing, and I do not think this host was. Just my little rant. Maybe I need to fish more and watch TV less.

I understand and agree with your concerns but thats what fishing shows do, they are a vehicle to sell products and the celebrity hosts are walking talking bill boards.

IMHO some hosts are genuinely concerned about the sport and conservation of the resource and too some it`s nothing more than a paycheck and some even gain a higher moral understanding after getting busted.

I think Hook n Look is a good show, probably one of the better, more informative 'Bass Shows' out there. As long as he wasn't poaching, nothing wrong with fishing bedding bass; from what I hear they can be quite challenging at times. As for him pimping up his sponsors, well duh!!!

I had never even heard of this show. Interesting idea of putting underwater footage into a fishing show. According to their website: "This one-of-a-kind program captivates viewers from a fish-eye perspective ...."

I wonder if they realize that Bob Izumi was already broadcasting their "one-of-a-kind" idea beck in the early 90s when he added his Fish-Eye View segments to the Real Fishing Show? Those underwater sequences, mainly shot by Rick Matusiak, were so far ahead of their time it was just scary.

Fish-Eye View .... fish-eye perspective ...... hmmmm. Sounds familiar to me.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I had never even heard of this show. Interesting idea of putting underwater footage into a fishing show. According to their website: "This one-of-a-kind program captivates viewers from a fish-eye perspective ...."

I wonder if they realize that Bob Izumi was already broadcasting their "one-of-a-kind" idea beck in the early 90s when he added his Fish-Eye View segments to the Real Fishing Show? Those underwater sequences, mainly shot by Rick Matusiak, were so far ahead of their time it was just scary.

Fish-Eye View .... fish-eye perspective ...... hmmmm. Sounds familiar to me.

Craig, Hook n Look is a great show hosted by FLW-BASS angler Kim Stricker of Mich. Some of the best underwater footage shot by Kims son Danny while Kim is on his Evinrude powered, Chevy wrapped Ranger using his Hummbird SI while throwing a Strike King lure. LOL

For those that unaware, companies sponsor people because they want their product or service in the public eye. If that did not happen we would not be watching fishing, NASCAR or any other pro sport.

Seriously it is a great show with a host that has won numerous "big" money tournaments and not some half hour infomercial salesman pitching products.

http://www.kimstrickerproductions.com/index.php

I think it's very interesting to watch the reaction from Smallmouth & LM bass, either to the Sponsors Baits or just to them being in the Water, when he holds his hand out they will actually come over & peck at it as if to feed or play, Interesting to see them pick up the bait & spit it out a few times & the Guy in the boat didn't even know

Richard

Craig, Hook n Look is a great show hosted by FLW-BASS angler Kim Stricker of Mich. Some of the best underwater footage shot by Kims son Danny while Kim is on his Evinrude powered, Chevy wrapped Ranger using his Hummbird SI while throwing a Strike King lure. LOL

For those that unaware, companies sponsor people because they want their product or service in the public eye. If that did not happen we would not be watching fishing, NASCAR or any other pro sport.

Seriously it is a great show with a host that has won numerous "big" money tournaments and not some half hour infomercial salesman pitching products.

http://www.kimstrickerproductions.com/index.php

Does that "Evinrude powered, Chevy wrapped Ranger using his Hummbird SI while throwing a Strike King lure" fishermen take lessons from those guys in interviews that turn left all day for a living ? :tease:

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information shared. I did not know that catching fish on beds in areas where fishing during the spawn is legal can be hard. From my experiences. and from what I have read bass in areas that are not pressured during the spawn they will hit anything that approached their bed. I think Hook n Look is a good show, with some really interesting camera shot. I just think that a professional angler should have some responsibility for helping conserve the resource that provides him his living. There was a small disclaimer at one point reminding anglers to return bedding fish to the water as soon as possible. I thin an overt mention to spawning and bedding by the host of the show would have been appropriate. Maybe a mention that fish during this time are not feeding, but are protecting their nests, may have also been nice. To be honest I am not sure why some areas have closed seasons for bass during the spawn and some do not.

We in NYS have legal bass fishing for catch and release during the out of season time and it works....we have some GREAT bass fishing on inland lakes and especially LAKE ERIE where there is a trophy season that starts May 1st every year and the bass fishing has only gotten better.

Now about fishing/hunting shows.....almost all are now just entertainment wrapped around info-commercials IMHO. The days of In-Fisherman (which were packed full of info) of the late 80's early 90's are long gone. I still have many taped here somewhere. It's all about MONEY now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Bob

Hook n Look is actually my favorite fishing show and I think Kim is a great host, also pretty cool that he's doing the show with his son. He seems to be a very respectful towards the resource and every show I've seen where he's bed fishing he always stresses immediate release.Also he's not fishing illegally. I don't understand why people get so mad about fishing for spawning bass, southern Ontario is one of the only places in North American where bass season is closed during spring, bass populations aren't hurting in every other place in the continent, whats so special about our lakes? I remember one show where he filmed catching a bass off a bed and how fast the fish got back to the bed. They filmed the bed while the fish was gone and there and no gobies or other little fish eating eggs before the fish got back. After he released the fish it went right back to the bed only being gone for a minute or two. Did you watch the entire show? I'm sure he made a big speech about immediate release.

-Ben

Hook n Look is actually my favorite fishing show and I think Kim is a great host, also pretty cool that he's doing the show with his son. He seems to be a very respectful towards the resource and every show I've seen where he's bed fishing he always stresses immediate release.Also he's not fishing illegally. I don't understand why people get so mad about fishing for spawning bass, southern Ontario is one of the only places in North American where bass season is closed during spring, bass populations aren't hurting in every other place in the continent, whats so special about our lakes? I remember one show where he filmed catching a bass off a bed and how fast the fish got back to the bed. They filmed the bed while the fish was gone and there and no gobies or other little fish eating eggs before the fish got back. After he released the fish it went right back to the bed only being gone for a minute or two. Did you watch the entire show? I'm sure he made a big speech about immediate release.

-Ben

I watched the show from about 5 minutes in until the end. I do not remember a big speech about immediate release, but there was a short blurb posted. I am interested to learn more about the impact of fishing bedded bass. I guess if lake Erie is any indication it does not have a negative effect. I wonder if there is any chance the MNR will switch the regs in Ontario, or for that matter what the logic is behind keeping the season closed.