Ice Breaker Operations on the Severn Sound

irishfield

Everything is frozen over in the sound.. but I don't know how thick it is as no time to get out there. Sleds are running around on it.. but around here that means absolutely NOTHING !

Last week on Wednesday or Thursday there were a couple of people fishing about 75ft - 100ft from the dock. A friend of mine told me he was on the ice to talk to one of them. He said there was about 5 inches of ice. He also said an OPP officer went on the ice at that time to talk to the fishermen and check the ice thickness too. I wasn't there for the conversations but I was down there to see the fishermen on the ice and the snowmobiles running the bay, they were staying close to land and so were the fishermen. Still too early for me to go out there and get on the ice. I can wait until the breaker goes by and the ice refreezes. I don't like swimming in cold water.

Tom.

Possibly Overcast is a Penetang Harbour 5" (full of springs) and 8" is Midland. Regardless... both safe for walking and saw a few hitting Midland Harbour when I drove by at 6am yesterday.

Update on ice breaking operations.. start in the morning..

-UPDATE- Ice Breaker In Midland Bay Commencing Ice Breaking Activity Dec 29,2010.doc

Guest gbfisher

Tonight's news showed a snowmobile racing along side the icebreaker and crossing in front of it. I don't know how dangerous it was (I wouldn't do it) but the video was pretty dramatic.

Many (most?) of the non-snowmobiling public sees us all as the same. :wallbash:

Must have had the ships itinerary. :D

Guess ya all havent heard of "EXTREAM" Part crazy and nerves.. The guy that was wizzing on his sled (He really wasnt WIZZING),was no where in danger.Semi 'EXTREAM"

LIVE YER LIFE AS YOU LIKE.Just dont take others.

:worthy:

Edited by BrianB

here's site I came across years ago, full of info for what's where & when on the big lakes.

http://www.boatnerd.com/

I can understand how a snowmobile crosses water, but this is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TRCroy3DKs&feature=related

Travis Pastrana does that and hits a jump